Join Early Retirement Today

Investing For/By Kids
Old 12-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Investing For/By Kids

My 10 year old grandson called and asked how to invest, what stocks to buy. Offhand I do not know any way to set up an account at Vanguard or Wells Fargo (my usual agents), I don't know how much he has but it may be under $1K.

Anyone aware of brokerages who set up accounts for children to use? He described something like this that BOA has but not clear on the details.

I told him, if he can buy a stock to by the FTF VT, he seemed to follow my explanation of an EFT.

Actually, just getting the call was priceless.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 05:35 AM   #2

Maybe start with a discussion on strategy? Why fees matter so much, buy and hold? Maybe steer him toward Vanguard? The higher risk of individual stocks, etc?

Enjoy the discussions!
Old 12-11-2017, 05:42 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of the best gifts my parents ever gave me was stock ownership through a UGMA registration around age 10. They gifted me part, and had me take some of my savings too. I had skin in the game!

I used to graph the DJIA. It was the 70's. It was an ugly graph.

Although I didn't trade, I watched, and eventually things went up and I learned the value of investing. What a great gift.

So, to answer your question: call Vanguard (or any brokerage) or google "accounts for minors." Then do it. It is in the registration process. There is also a UTMA account.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:23 AM   #4

I did UTMA accounts at Fido when for my kids when they were a little older than your grandson. Kind of mixed results. I found out later that some brokerages will wave minimum deposits for child accounts based on family holdings.

If you do this, make sure your grandson's parents know what is going on. If income exceeds the limit, it could be taxed at the parent's rate. It could also come into play when looking at college funding.

As I said I had mixed results. But my kids did not ask about it. I wanted them to experience and understand it as I learned by hard knocks. One did well and one paid no attention to it.

good luck
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote