Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

BSEE from UCSB here. You sound like an engineer already. Good luck.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fine advice has been provided by jIOMh.

The point about attending trade shows is a good one. Most conventions will give college students the run of the place for a low admission price. It's a very efficient way to learn about a profession.

Don't get your hopes up about an exciting work-play convention trip to Las Vegas , however. Civil and environmental engineering have a high percentage of folks who work for government agencies. A conference organizer interested in maximizing attendance probably won't pick Las Vegas.

No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:53 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks jIOMh, I've begun searching.

The closest thing I find that'd fit my schedule $75 for students, for a 3 day conference in Anaheim (very close to Irvine) led by the American Water Works Association a week after school is out. Is this like a trade show or did you mean something different? Link below.

Register for the ACE15 - AWWA's Annual Conference & Exposition - American Water Works Association
Old 02-05-2015, 06:13 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelipeA View Post
The closest thing I find that'd fit my schedule $75 for students, for a 3 day conference in Anaheim (very close to Irvine) led by the American Water Works Association a week after school is out. Is this like a trade show or did you mean something different? Link below.
Bullseye.

Big conventions like this will have an exhibition floor with vendor booths filled with the gear used by the attendees. For AWWA, that means pipes, valves, meters, etc. Lots of valves.

It's really not much different than the antique show or the auto show or some other event you may have attended at a convention hall.

What is different at professional conference is what is going on upstairs in the meeting rooms. A big event like this will have dozens of hour-long technical sessions on specific topics. Let's say you are interested in learning about desalination plants. You would go to meeting room X for session 123 on that topic, to hear three or four short presentations from engineers who have "been there and done that".
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

Finished my semester with a 3.5, updating on my original post and moving forward.

Chose SJSU, after all the research it feels solid and clear in my gut to go there. I did not receive financial aid. I did find quite a few relevant clubs and experience opportunities there so I'm excited to take those opportunities once I'm there.

I've reached 65k in stock accounts due to a pay raise and some good saving. I'll be in the 200-300k range by graduation. Retire-ready by 30 with over 500k and a safe 20k per year

I found out my 40 year old Engineering cousin is just now taking her EIT after maxing out her income without it so more motivation to jump on the FE and EIT as soon as I can.

I began signing up for the AWWA annual conference but I can't get the student discount until after I'm in my "water related" studies at SJSU.

I found an event by the California Water Environment Association (linked below) that's even closer and will be available once I'm in the program at SJSU. The percentage of executives is much lower than at the AWWA so I'm not sure if it'll be as valuable but I'll start going to trade shows and conventions as soon as I can with that discount. Please let me know if you have any information on low cost trade shows relevant to water, civil, or sustainability/environmental engineers near San Jose.

Get Info Today on the CWEA Annual Conference (AC16) - California Water Environment Association

Thanks again for all the help here in facilitating a clean, solid decision on my school. I feel very good about my decision and love learning so I'm excited for these next few years.