Join Early Retirement Today

Investment advice for US citizen retiring in UK
Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Investment advice for US citizen retiring in UK

I'm a US/UK dual citizen and I'll be retiring to the UK in the next couple of years. All my investments are in a mix of US index funds (I'm a Boglehead).
I'm worried about the dollar crashing and being stuck with US dollar denominated funds and spending Euros and GB pounds. So I'd like to get my
investments into stuff that's bought with pounds and Euros. However, draconian US tax laws mean that it's a very bad idea to invest in UK based mutual funds. So what are my options?

Would investing in VEURX insulate me form dollar fluctuations? Does anyone know of a US based fund that tracks the FTSE all share index. For my fixed income is there a US based fund that invests in UK Gilts? I suppose I could buy these directly though through the UK Government's National Savings or just do the UK equivalent of a CD ladder.

http://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/acc...rate-websaver/

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #2

No comment on the financial aspect, but are you 100% certain that you will be able to adapt to life in the UK? Not sure how long you have been in the US but I think once you have been here a while you do become americanised. I know we have, we went back to Oz in 2003 and lasted 2 years. We keep Oz on the back burner knowing we can go back for the medical insurance and other benefits if need be.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
However, draconian US tax laws mean that it's a very bad idea to invest in UK based mutual funds. So what are my options?
Overseas based investments are handled just like USA investments. So, you still have that option.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
No comment on the financial aspect, but are you 100% certain that you will be able to adapt to life in the UK? Not sure how long you have been in the US but I think once you have been here a while you do become americanised. I know we have, we went back to Oz in 2003 and lasted 2 years. We keep Oz on the back burner knowing we can go back for the medical insurance and other benefits if need be.
I've been in the US for 24 years, but go back to the UK regularly to visit family and friends. That, along with being able to easily get UK media, watch the Premier League all weekend, and listen to BBC Radio 4 all day give me a good idea of what I'm in for. I'm divorced, but don't have any US children so I'm free and clear when it comes to family. Also I live in Boston and the flight to London is pretty easy and the culture and lifestyle in MA is closer to that of the UK than most places in the US so there's not too much adjusting to do. I hear you when you mention healthcare. It's one of the major reasons I'd move back when I ER.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Overseas based investments are handled just like USA investments. So, you still have that option.
What about PFIC rules on foreign pooled investments?