Join Early Retirement Today

Investment Expense rules for 2018
Old 02-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Investment Expense rules for 2018

Hi folks,

From what I can tell the investment interest deduction remains the same (good thing), are there any other changes to be aware of in terms of investment deductions?

Management fees still deductible right?

I'm hearing some ramblings that the new changes have an adverse impact, but unsure if related to SALT or something more intrinsic to investments.

DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think those items are miscellaneous items subject to a 2% floor deducted on Schedule A. The recent tax law increases the standard deduction. This means that even though you in theory can still deduct these expenses, you have a higher bar to it mattering: you have to have in excess of 2% of AGI *and* the sum of those deductions plus your others needs to exceed the higher standard deduction.

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:56 AM   #3

Quote:
The recent tax law increases the standard deduction. This means that even though you in theory can still deduct these expenses, you have a higher bar to it mattering: you have to have in excess of 2% of AGI *and* the sum of those deductions plus your others needs to exceed the higher standard deduction.
+1. Last year, when doing our taxes, for the first time in decades we did not have enough deductions to itemize, and this year would have had even less. It sure makes the tax prep go faster.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:35 AM   #4

The investment-expense deduction goes away in 2018.

The investment-interest deduction is retained.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
The investment-expense deduction goes away in 2018.

The investment-interest deduction is retained.

This is what our CPA told us. He said tax preparation fees will also no longer be deductible.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #6

ALL Misc Itemized Deductions subject to the 2% limitation are gone for 2018-2025.

Tax prep fees, publications/journals, investment expenses such as investment advisory fees, unreimbursed business expenses (uniforms, union dues, mileage, etc) are gone.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

So deducting investment advisory fees goes away. Good to see the interest aspect stayed.

DanP is offline   Reply With Quote