Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Investment in Structured Settlements
Old 11-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Investment in Structured Settlements

Has anyone researched investing in structured settlements? I heard of / saw this:

higherinterest.net or Alternative Investments | Safe, High Yield | Structured Settlements -

Scam? Spam? Sounded interesting but I'm suspicious. Basically you purchase a structured settlement, usually through a well known insurance company and then receive a monthly payout for ~20 years; some with COLA.

Thoughts?
Steelart99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
gone traveling

What are the potential dangers in buying your very own high-yielding hunk of a lawsuit?

I pass.....
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

As I understand it, these are court awards that insurance companies are to pay to an individual. That person "sells" his right to the award at a discount, usually approved through the courts. You'd buy that award (discounted) and then the insurance company makes the payments to you. I'd assume that there would be no chance of a lawsuit ... the insurance company has agreed to and is making the payments. Of course, I have no idea what "reality" is in these cases.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I read this book, by Edward Ugel, and was totally creeped out by the whole idea of how they bought lottery settlements, which is the lower-life version of structured settlements.
http://www.amazon.com/Money-Nothing-.../dp/0061284181

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelart99 View Post
Has anyone researched investing in structured settlements? I heard of / saw this:

higherinterest.net or Alternative Investments | Safe, High Yield | Structured Settlements -

Scam? Spam? Sounded interesting but I'm suspicious. Basically you purchase a structured settlement, usually through a well known insurance company and then receive a monthly payout for ~20 years; some with COLA.

Thoughts?
I have heard of these, but stop at the thought of either having to force performance at a point of default, or resell to gain liquidity.
I would guess if you had to sell out you would face a considerable discount to face value.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
What are the potential dangers in buying your very own high-yielding hunk of a lawsuit?

I pass.....
A structured settlement is not a lawsuit, it is a vehicle for payment of a judgment or settlement resulting from a lawsuit. As long as the judgment is final, and you read a and understand the settlement your only concern should be the credit of the insurance company making the payments.

For the most part, quality should be much better than typical high yield paper. Liquidity is poor obviously, so to sell it will cost you.

Ha
Old 11-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is one example:
Total Payout: $613,784.58

Cost and Yield: $288,470.56 to yield 5.75%

Payment Terms:
Two hundred and fifty (250) monthly payments as follows:
$1,789.57 from January 15th, 2018 till October 15th, 2038 increasing by 3% annually each October
(11/19)
Guaranteed by: Metropolitan Life Insurance Company

Again, I'm not making any claims ... just trying to figure out if this is something to think about.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
A structured settlement is not a lawsuit, it is a vehicle for payment of a judgment or settlement resulting from a lawsuit. As long as the judgment is final, and you read a and understand the settlement your only concern should be the credit of the insurance company making the payments.

For the most part, quality should be much better than typical high yield paper. Liquidity is poor obviously, so to sell it will cost you.

Ha
I was aware of that....

The largest risk is the lack of liquidity.

I would not buy something I don't completely understand and each structure settlement is a bit different. Maybe if I was a high skilled attorney I would consider buying some

I read some of them "still could face unanticipated future legal challenges.". I rather buy s&p 500.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
. I rather buy s&p 500.
Good.That is why we have markets.

Since you told OP that a structured settlement was an investment in a lawsuit, and one can invest in lawsuits, i thought some facts might be helpful.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Good.That is why we have markets.

Since you told OP that a structured settlement was an investment in a lawsuit, and one can invest in lawsuits, i thought some facts might be helpful.
It is outcome of lawsuit that you buying.

Investor Alert - Pension or Settlement Income Streams?What You Need to Know Before Buying or Selling Them - FINRA

FINRA:
"Your "rights" to the income stream you purchased could face legal challenges. It may not be legal to purchase someone’s pension. And it may be difficult to legally force the original owner of a pension or structured settlement to forward or assign their income to a factoring company or investor."

So I may be later forced to invest into 500 dollars an hour lawyer.......
Old 11-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Investor Alert - Pension or Settlement Income Streams?What You Need to Know Before Buying or Selling Them - FINRA

FINRA:
"Your "rights" to the income stream you purchased could face legal challenges. It may not be legal to purchase someone’s pension. And it may be difficult to legally force the original owner of a pension or structured settlement to forward or assign their income to a factoring company or investor."

That was a good read and answered some of my questions. While not a SCAM ... it is still fraught with some risk unless structured extremely well.
Thanks
Old 11-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

FINRA:

Everything you say is true. However, this does not change the fact that unless you pay no attention to what you are buying, you are not buying a piece of a lawsuit.

Ha
Old 11-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

It's not as complicated as a variable annuity based on stock market performance though.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It's not as complicated as a variable annuity based on stock market performance though.
No, but it does carry some mortality risk. One hard question I'd ask is whether the income stream ends when the recipient dies. Some structured settlements guarantee a certain payout regardless at various points (to the estate if the recipient is deceased). Others don't. Even figuring out mortality can be tricky, There are mortality tables for "average" lives (male vs. female, smoker vs. non-smoker), but if you have a recipient who's collecting money due to a major injury they may live longer (because they're getting regular medical care and aren't out riding motorcycles) or may die earlier because of health issues.

Not something I'd touch, and I even know how to use mortality tables.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't touch either a structured settlement product or a VA under any circumstances. Why burden yourself with tricky rules, high fees and other issues to make a couple of percent?
Old 11-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"It's my money and I want it now!"
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
"It's my money and I want it now!"
Totally off topic, but one of the wonderful side benefits of cutting the cord on cable is almost never hearing that sort of crap again...
Old 11-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe I am oversimplifying it, but it seems this is just an annuity by a different name?

With some different risks and legal terms, but it seems in simplest form to just be buying an annuity. I appreciate any info to help my education.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I tend to agree that it is essentially an annuity; sometimes with a COL increase and yet costing "less" than the face value of the payoff ... If there is more than one moving part, sometimes I get lost ...
Old 11-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Yes, typically what you would be doing is buying into the right that an annuity beneficiary has to receive money from an insurance company.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote