Join Early Retirement Today

Investment Recommendation
Old 04-08-2004, 06:02 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Investment Recommendation

Some of my preferred stock is being called + will receive a few other thousand from a bonus.
Probably adding up to about 12,000 dollars. Would like to receive about $50/month income from it.... does anyone have any ideas where I should invest it ? ?

Best 5 year cd rate seems to be 4.88% from PenFed. Not as appealing since they lowered their rates this month.
And with the Fed. rumored to be raising rates perhaps this summer, bonds don't seem to be attractive either.
Individual stocks could be a choice although dividend rates are not very good. I think I have enough REIT exposure right now. HELP !
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Investment Recommendation
Old 04-08-2004, 06:32 AM   #2

To get a 5% return today is not easy. You have to take some risk.

I'm not sure how secure you need this money to be. But one idea is to buy Altria ( Phillip Morris Stock (ticker MO)). It curently is paying about 4.93% dividend and may offer some capital gains. I currently still hold some - The one Individual Stock I still own. I could not bear to part with the dividend.

This is of course if you don't need the money for 10 years.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:13 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

cut-throat,
already own some Altria and love the dividend, but don't think I want to get any more.
BTW, will need the income beginning in June 04, as I'm ERing, officially end of May 04.
thanks,
Ray
ps. you're right, of course, I will have to take some risk.
Perhaps, Vanguard Wellington or Wellesley or Dodge and Cox Balance Fund. I like D&C, their expenses are low and their performances are excellent over the years.
But, still investigating stuff.
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote