Join Early Retirement Today
Investment Return graph on Vanguard Personal site...
Old 07-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Investment Return graph on Vanguard Personal site...

Not sure if that chart's always been available, but i sure like it. never saw it before and it surely simplifies things

thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm gone to see if I can find it.
May be something new.
You know you could have supplied a link and maybe a pass word, so I could get there quick and move some cash around while I was at it.

PS. (update) I'm back !!!
I think it has been there for a while. I didn't see anything new. I agree, it is a nice chart to see how investments are doing.

Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
And still no Link.
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...
Fidelity implemented the same feature a few months ago. It is a nice tool.
Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe
Click on My Portfolio and then Performance.
There are 2 views - Balance Trend & Investment Return.
The time ranges can be selected to provide different time graphs.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
Yes, the VG performance graphs are useful for spot checking your vanguard holdings (they don't include linked accounts). It would be nice if they let you look at periods longer than 5 years though (I think the older version may have down that). This thread prompted me to look at them to see if some new features had been added. Didn't notice any new features but I did notice that my 5 year totals had a significant overall "market loss" but more than twice that loss in "dividends and income", for a net annualized 5 year return of 0.7%. This on a Vanguard account asset mix that is north of 75% equities (can't easily tell closer than that because the portfolio asset percentages Vanguard lists contain linked accounts, whereas performance numbers do not). The returns of course also are all mixed up with ongoing deposits, etc., but nevertheless seem a good reminder of the important contribution of dividends and income to overall return, even in a pretty equity-heavy portfolio. Hadn't really noticed that recently.
rockyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...
The graph is only good if you have all your stuff at Vanguard and don't move stuff in or out. So that means it's useless.

MS Money (and I guess Quicken) have similar graphs if you have entered all your data.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
lol - I always thought the VG performance charts at least approximated performance for the VG only part of the portfolio, including purchases and VG to VG transfers. Monthly market gain/loss, monthly income/dividends and monthly purchases/withdrawals (the latter in the "balance trend" chart) all are listed in the breakdown associated with each chart. From that I've assumed that the listed VG account activity is indeed reflected in the charts and underlying arithmetic. Is it really as inaccurate as you're suggesting? I'm not challenging, just asking. I suspect I'm both a bit lazy and math challenged on this and know that you pay pretty close attention to this kind of thing.

rockyj is offline   Reply With Quote