Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Investment style nowadays? Active? Index?
Thoughtful asset allocation, mostly index funds / ETFs 56 62.92%
Thoughtful asset allocation, mostly actively managed funds 14 15.73%
Thoughtful asset allocation, mostly individual stocks 6 6.74%
What’s asset allocation? Mostly index funds / ETFs 2 2.25%
What’s asset allocation? Mostly actively managed funds 3 3.37%
What’s asset allocation? Mostly individual stocks 7 7.87%
Other … maybe I don’t know, maybe it changes alot 1 1.12%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Investment style nowadays
Old 08-12-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Investment style nowadays

With the other thread suggesting many folks have already abandoned individual stocks for mutual funds and even index mutual funds, maybe it's time for poll where even the anonymous can contribute.

The idea is to vote on whether you asset allocate and whether you are mostly (i.e. > 50% of say equity assets) are into individual stocks, actively managed mutual funds, or index funds/ETFs. Based on past polls, we should be able to reach 200 votes. Thanks!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

While we would like to be mostly index funds, we don't have suitable index funds in our 401k's and 403b. We'll get there as soon as we quit our jobs.

And if you like a clarification: you can call DFA funds "indexed" and you can call Vanguard's "tax-managed" funds "indexed" as well. I know it may be a little murky on an ETF, but if it is passively managed, count it as an index ETF.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We are "buy and hold" for individual value stocks. We used to do allocation every year in April and October but found we were selling some 10 baggers and buying some less stellar performers.

Because the stocks are more volatile, we do not dump a holding until it has had 2 successive quarters of poor performance. We hold funds for Europe and Asia.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Jan 2006 - full automatic - Vanguard Target Retirement 2015. Investing since 1966, I finally figured it out - I don't know, haven't 'really' figured it out at all.

A Lifecycle fund is a good way to compensate.

And then, and then for the urge to putz, hormones, the Norwegian widow needs new shoes - hobby stocks.

Only a few mind you - I have this under control!

heh heh heh .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Active - Stocks
Old 08-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Active - Stocks

My wife and I are active in the sense that we purchase stocks directly within our retirement accounts and our general investments. We do have some exchange traded funds in the mix too.

We purchase dividend paying stocks and ETF's almost exlusively. With this arrangement we achieve approximately 3% dividend on average. In our growth accounts we have lower paying dividends with an eye toward capital appreciation and our income accounts achieve nearly 6% dividends with less emphasis on appreciation. Overall it's working for us and we definitely plan to retire early.

Our issue at hand is confirming that we are truly financially independent. On paper we are but we have a mental block and cannot convince ourselves to leave our jobs.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have index funds through VG and Fidelity in our IRA's/403b/401a and ETF's in the taxable account. A couple of individual stocks for grins that make up less then 2% (and shrinking) of our portfolio.
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Who defines 'thoughtful'

Wouldn't everybody think their investments are 'thoughtful' even if they are not You know 'Heck, I put some thought into it, that is why I am 100% gold'....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I picked "What’s asset allocation? Mostly actively managed funds " - I have chosen lifecycle funds with Prudential (who NJ uses for our Deferred Comp) and the mil TSP. Thought was given to these choices, but I am hesitant to claim that I am thoughtfully managing my asset allocation
Old 08-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Heh heh heh - Lifecycle funds are taking a bashing in today's Yahoo finance section.

Stone simple could put a large part of the finance/planing business - out of business.

Yikes! Shades of 1976 - Index funds are Un-American! Call out the troops. Tell them the world really is flat. Yadda yadda.

If B.S. were pearls - we'd all be rich.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Emergency fund: 100% high yield savings.
Kids' college funds: 100% "lifecyle" funds.
Retirement funds: 100% VFINX/VTSMX/SWPIX.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote