Investment style nowadays

Investment style nowadays? Active? Index?

• Thoughtful asset allocation, mostly index funds / ETFs

Votes: 56 62.9%
  • Thoughtful asset allocation, mostly actively managed funds

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Thoughtful asset allocation, mostly individual stocks

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • What’s asset allocation? Mostly index funds / ETFs

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • What’s asset allocation? Mostly actively managed funds

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • What’s asset allocation? Mostly individual stocks

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Other … maybe I don’t know, maybe it changes alot

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

LOL!

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
With the other thread suggesting many folks have already abandoned individual stocks for mutual funds and even index mutual funds, maybe it's time for poll where even the anonymous can contribute.

The idea is to vote on whether you asset allocate and whether you are mostly (i.e. > 50% of say equity assets) are into individual stocks, actively managed mutual funds, or index funds/ETFs. Based on past polls, we should be able to reach 200 votes. Thanks!

While we would like to be mostly index funds, we don't have suitable index funds in our 401k's and 403b. We'll get there as soon as we quit our jobs.

And if you like a clarification: you can call DFA funds "indexed" and you can call Vanguard's "tax-managed" funds "indexed" as well. I know it may be a little murky on an ETF, but if it is passively managed, count it as an index ETF.

We are "buy and hold" for individual value stocks. We used to do allocation every year in April and October but found we were selling some 10 baggers and buying some less stellar performers.

Because the stocks are more volatile, we do not dump a holding until it has had 2 successive quarters of poor performance. We hold funds for Europe and Asia.

Jan 2006 - full automatic - Vanguard Target Retirement 2015. Investing since 1966, I finally figured it out - I don't know, haven't 'really' figured it out at all.

A Lifecycle fund is a good way to compensate.

And then, and then for the urge to putz, hormones, the Norwegian widow needs new shoes - hobby stocks.

Only a few mind you - I have this under control!

heh heh heh ;).

Active - Stocks

My wife and I are active in the sense that we purchase stocks directly within our retirement accounts and our general investments. We do have some exchange traded funds in the mix too.

We purchase dividend paying stocks and ETF's almost exlusively. With this arrangement we achieve approximately 3% dividend on average. In our growth accounts we have lower paying dividends with an eye toward capital appreciation and our income accounts achieve nearly 6% dividends with less emphasis on appreciation. Overall it's working for us and we definitely plan to retire early.

Our issue at hand is confirming that we are truly financially independent. On paper we are but we have a mental block and cannot convince ourselves to leave our jobs.

We have index funds through VG and Fidelity in our IRA's/403b/401a and ETF's in the taxable account. A couple of individual stocks for grins that make up less then 2% (and shrinking) of our portfolio.

Who defines 'thoughtful':confused:

Wouldn't everybody think their investments are 'thoughtful' even if they are not:confused: You know 'Heck, I put some thought into it, that is why I am 100% gold'....

I picked "What’s asset allocation? Mostly actively managed funds " - I have chosen lifecycle funds with Prudential (who NJ uses for our Deferred Comp) and the mil TSP. Thought was given to these choices, but I am hesitant to claim that I am thoughtfully managing my asset allocation

Heh heh heh - Lifecycle funds are taking a bashing in today's Yahoo finance section.

Stone simple could put a large part of the finance/planing business - out of business.

Yikes! Shades of 1976 - Index funds are Un-American! Call out the troops. Tell them the world really is flat. Yadda yadda.

If B.S. were pearls - we'd all be rich. :D

Emergency fund: 100% high yield savings.
Kids' college funds: 100% "lifecyle" funds.
Retirement funds: 100% VFINX/VTSMX/SWPIX.

2Cor521

Back
Top Bottom