Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

I think I'm pretty informed. I have an MA in Economics for one thing and read the Times and WSJ daily and have read quite a few current books on the economic situation. Why am I a troll? Not even sure what that is. Perhaps it's good to have someone new on your forum with a slightly different point of view.

I don't think investing is good now. I'm not sure what the problem is with a little give-and-take on the subject. If you find it uniformative unsubscribe.

I think I'm going to stay in FDIC insured bank accounts. Does anyone have any tips on how to find the ones with the best interest and keep track of the accounts? Thanks for the tip above - I'm going to investigate what we have to do to make sure we are set in case of a default.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon1 View Post
I think I'm pretty informed. I have an MA in Economics for one thing and read the Times and WSJ daily and have read quite a few current books on the economic situation. Why am I a troll? Not even sure what that is. Perhaps it's good to have someone new on your forum with a slightly different point of view.

I don't think investing is good now. I'm not sure what the problem is with a little give-and-take on the subject. If you find it uniformative unsubscribe.

I think I'm going to stay in FDIC insured bank accounts. Does anyone have any tips on how to find the ones with the best interest and keep track of the accounts? Thanks for the tip above - I'm going to investigate what we have to do to make sure we are set in case of a default.
Takes all kinds. We have indexers, active traders, all-cashers, rental real estate-ers, gold bugs investors... And we're ALL right!

You may be correct that "investing" is not good now. I would counter with selling at the low, and missing the rebound, wasn't a particularly good strategy either, but it's not my money.

Just like the "end-of-the world" predictions, some day they'll be correct...

As for CD rates, you might try this: Mortgage Rates Credit Cards Refinance Home CD Rates by Bankrate.com

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Ok. I'm pretty open minded and Pollyanna-like in wanting to believe the best of people, but this is larded on a bit too thick even for me.

"I have an MA in Economics for one thing and read the Times and WSJ daily and have read quite a few current books on the economic situation".

There is no safe haven. Stocks, bonds, FDIC insured instruments, gold, fiat currencies, underground granaries - it doesn't matter. There is always risk. War, plague, alien invasion. Why do you think FDIC is a panacea? What makes you trust our government? wurra wurra wurra - the world is coming to an end.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"My husband handles all the investments." "I badgered him to bail at the bottom." "I have an MBA in Economics." Yeah, right. Absolute and total troll. But you were fun for a whole 13 posts.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
War, plague, alien invasion.
We're at war with one group or another, my throat feels a little ticklish, and the Minutemen are screaming about alien invasion at the border here. It's already upon us!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post

The planners are always in shock when there is a big drop - 1987, 2000, 2008. Why is that some sort of signal to bail? -- it was a bad signal each time.

Warren Buffet says personal investors should buy and hold low cost index funds. Like Amazon, if you are going to panic when things get bad you should not be in the market.
I hear you ...but....I happen to believe 2008 was different from the rest. It was not until 1999...the the Glass Steagle Act and not until (around 2000)...that the Derivatives Acts were passed....which paved the way for the greed and the destruction. There was real and measurable fear about another Great Depression. Neither 1987 or 2000 conjured that up.
Where in 1987 and 2000 did major financial firms fail? (aside from the credit union crisis of the 1980's - which still did not bring the financial markets to a standstill? although they did have to form a Resolution Trust Corporation - Good credit union/Bad credit union)

Warren Buffet says a lot of things...but again...his number 1 rule is to never loose money..is it not? Doesn't mean you won't loose some in one asset class..just overall...

I don't consider it panic...to gently ..."move out of the way" of headwinds.
I suppose it is a matter of perspective. Some will call it dumb - some will call it smart. Heck...every financial planner I know...sits there all day moving HIS/HER own money around depending on the markets. They just don't do it for their clients.

It seems to boil down to this. If you want to keep up with inflation in some way ...then play it safe with Treasuries, CD laddering...etc. If you want your money to make you money you have to take on some risk with some percentage of what you have. (and even that risk can be a calculated risk).
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

SELL SELL SELL!!!!!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

I think you people have too much time on your hands to just attack strangers on the internet. Calmloki - What is larded on so thickly that even a pollyanna would think I was a terrible person? Can you please reread my post and your post and see if that was an appropriate response? Is having a graduate degree in the field in question and keeping up on a daily basis not an appropriate response to the "educate yourself"? Take anger management classes.

And donheff - please define troll. I also think many people got out at the bottom and it wasn't necessarilly an uninformed decision.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

Troll: One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.

I believe I've listened to the arguments and given counter-arguments. Seems like those who have accused me of being a troll are actually trolls - ad-hominem attacks, etc.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #50
Administrator

Amazon1, you asked for a definition of trolling.

From our Community Rules, which every member must read and abide by,
Quote:
Trolling or cyber-bullying are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

And you are concurring that I was not trolling? Was I controversial or off-topic? Before interest rates went this low (very recently), many, many retirees were in risk-free CDs. I think this is a worthy topic of discussion.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Is having a graduate degree in the field in question and keeping up on a daily basis not an appropriate response to the "educate yourself"?
Many, or I would venture to guess most, of our members have advanced degrees. Having an advanced degree does not mean that one should pooh-pooh advice to educated oneself further on a particular subject, in this case, investing.I am sure that all recommendations to further educate yourself on investing were meant constructively.

A good place to start learning about investing (where I started, anyway) is this book list.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #53

Quote:
This is the situation - we've been burnt by the market. He was too invested in stocks and I freaked out when things started going south and we pulled out of the market at about DOW 7,000 and I don't want to go back in. Luckily he got a lot of cash when he was downsized after that. Everything else looks risky too - bonds, municipal bonds, real estate.
This is not the post of someone who wants to discuss much of anything.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If my wife had an MA in economics, I think I would defer to her on the investing front..........women make better investors anyway........

Quote:
Noone is making you invest or not invest. However, many people who bail on the market either at the top or bottom of a market tend to procrastinate about getting back in, and miss out on opportunities.

Quote:
I would take a look at GIC accounts also. TIAA-Cref and others have these..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 03-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I would say that your general tone and the volume of hysteria you exude are at odds with most of the economics MAs and PhDs I know, but you know your background best.

As for FDIC insured accounts, you have a bunch of choices. You can find the highest yielding savings accounts out there (I use Capital One). You can build a CD ladder. Or you can plunk everything in 5 year CDs and just surrender early and pay the penalty if rates spike (some posters like Ally for this).

- Will Rogers
Old 03-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And you are concurring that I was not trolling? Was I controversial or off-topic? Before interest rates went this low (very recently), many, many retirees were in risk-free CDs. I think this is a worthy topic of discussion.
You'll never beat inflation in a CD...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #57
Confused about dryer sheets

If you want to consider CD's I would suggest you do your research at someplace like depositaccounts.com I found them to have reliable information and good search tools. I am considering a CD ladder now for cash. Ally Bank rates are not the best but they have a 60 day early withdrawal penalty which is excellent.

Nationwide Bank rates would edge out Ally for a ladder but the longer term has a 180 day early withdrawal penalty. Still not bad.

I share your concern regarding the future of the market. In my view the U.S. did nothing to seriously regulate the big banks and we are now left with a handful that are much too big to fail. In fact they may be too big to save. The Dodd-Frank bill was dead on delivery and despite what you have heard will not rein them in. Given that, it is a question of time when the next bubble bursts and how bad the results will be.

Moreover, had I been invested in equities to the extent that had been recommended over the years I would have had to cancel my early retirement in 2008.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

And here is our shill, right on schedule...

What is next? MMND?

- Will Rogers
Old 03-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #59

If you'll accept credit from Nigeria, I'll put $$100,000,000,000 into laddered CDs at your bank right now.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Just as a reminder, you can put someone on ignore with two clicks. Left click their screen name, then go to the bottom of the box and click on Add ______ to your ignore list.