Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Investments through foreign banks?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Investments through foreign banks?

Was in Hong Kong recently and one of their newspapers had a short article:

Local lenders offer hope in chaos - The Standard

In recently years, there has been some talk about investing in foreign currencies through bank accounts in other countries, on the expectation that these other currencies would appreciate against the USD.

Well in this case, the HKD is pretty stable against the USD. So the appeal would be the yield, if these HK banks are indeed financially sound. Though I'm not sure that what they're talking about are insured bank accounts or that the yield would be guaranteed for a certain term.

Anyone investing with foreign banks?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #2

The last thing I need is that kind of additional paperwork, particularly in terms of tax filing.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Was in Hong Kong recently and one of their newspapers had a short article:

Local lenders offer hope in chaos - The Standard

In recently years, there has been some talk about investing in foreign currencies through bank accounts in other countries, on the expectation that these other currencies would appreciate against the USD.

Well in this case, the HKD is pretty stable against the USD. So the appeal would be the yield, if these HK banks are indeed financially sound. Though I'm not sure that what they're talking about are insured bank accounts or that the yield would be guaranteed for a certain term.

It's often impossible to open an account with a bank unless you are resident in the country. Also if you are a US citizen FATCA may well make you unattractive to a foreign financial institution. If you get past those hurdles you'll open up the fun of cross border taxation.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Administrator

+1 on what nun says.

I've had a UK bank checking and savings account for decades, and have a small UK pension paid into it. However, the savings account is small interest, ~1.5%, and I've looked multiple times at other options in the UK, including Bank of Baroda, offering much better rates and all require UK residency.

Up to now I've transferred large chunks of money (~£10k at a time) to my US bank using the UK firm HiFx but I received an e-mail from them last week saying that due to changes in legislation they can no longer service USA residents. I expect this is more to do with the US bank lobby than security, so I'll have to look for other ways (more expensive I'm sure) to transfer funds.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #5

I have savings in Europe. The taxes are a real nightmare, I need HR Block every year to sort them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #6

If you are looking for FDIC insured RMB exposure, you can open an account at Bank of China (NYC) either the Madison ave branch or Chinatown branch. They will allow you to convert/deposit $4,000 a day into a non-interest bearing savings account. When you withdraw your funds, they are converted back to dollars at the prevailing rate. The only upside is currency appreciation so it must be considered a LT hedge against dollars.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
It's often impossible to open an account with a bank unless you are resident in the country. Also if you are a US citizen FATCA may well make you unattractive to a foreign financial institution. If you get past those hurdles you'll open up the fun of cross border taxation.
Thanks for the reminder about FATCA.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
Thanks for the reminder about FATCA.
FATCA is more relevant for the foreign institution and the forms for the US tax payer and still being developed. FBAR is an immediate concern.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote