Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by niven View Post
Life's too short and I eat too much good food already. I don't know what would make me desperate enough to go to one of these seminars.
Quote:
I'd rather pay for my own food and eat in peace.
I agree. There is no free lunch ! Who wants to sit with Guido (The Closer) for a "free" meal. I'd rather eat something modest at home.

Ditto for timeshare deals
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have attended a couple of dozen of these dog & pony shows and have usually gotten to eat a pretty decent free noon meal. They usually pitched equity index annuity and I found it entertaining to see how the presenter danced around what the product actually was (a way for him to make a lot of $) by showing a series of slides with vague facts and figures. I never made an appointment with the guy (that's the sole reason that I was invited) but many of the folks in attendance took the bait.

I found this a good activity (hobby?) to take advantage of prior to DW retiring and me having a lot of free time on my hands. Since DW retired, I seldom attend.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #43

I guess our zip code isn't ritzy enough for FAs buying us a meal, but we did get one for some scheme to allegedly lower our utilities by 40%. We have been to the restaurant (once, and never again!) so we didn't go.

They're gonna have to spend more than that to get me to listen to ignore their spiels.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Question is, to no one in particular, do you want your spouse to attend, but after you're gone? Or do you go now, eat and listen, and discuss how the pitch may sound good, but here is what you're giving away when signing an agreement. Here's our instructions, and how to move forward when the time comes...
My wife is just as unlikely to turn money over to someone to manage as I am. She knows no one has a crystal ball and would charge far too much for any possible value they could add. At most, she would move everything to something more conservative than we have now and just make do (if needed).
niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have only attended one dinner. The FA gave a financial presentation that was ok (I knew almost everything he said). No hard sale, just mark on a form "Not Interested" and no further discussions. The restaurant was very nice, the room in the restaurant was very nice and the dinner was great. I would do this again if the restaurant is top notch.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Question is, to no one in particular, do you want your spouse to attend, but after you're gone? Or do you go now, eat and listen, and discuss how the pitch may sound good, but here is what you're giving away when signing an agreement. Here's our instructions, and how to move forward when the time comes...
DH is not in the lest interested in investing although he knows what we have and roughly how it's invested. He's more skeptical and cynical than I am and I can't picture him attending on his own. Should he outlive me (unlikely since I'm 15 years younger), he'll be taken care of a by a trust managed by my brother the CPA, and we're all OK with that.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
If you feel like you can control yourself and NOT POST A "RANT" after attending, go. It's not a big commitment of time and, with the right mindset, you can learn by paying attention to what's between the lines of the sales pitch.

But, if you feel like you might be unable to control yourself from coming back from the "seminar" and posting yet another "RANT" on this site, please, please don't go. Others have been pretty active starting those threads and they're getting old.
I didn't realize I was ranting. . .
Old 03-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #48

Well this is interesting. I just got a call from my Fidelity Rep and invited to a really decent restaurant for a lunch on their Select funds of which I own a couple. Doesn't really count though, as Fidelity is very low sales pressure and I do usually learn some good stuff from them.

And I promise I won't RANT after going. .
Old 03-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
You weren't........ Didn't say that. It was just my plea that you don't start a rant thread AFTER you go. FA and/or dinner-seminar rant threads have become very prolific.

Quote:
Sweet!

Enjoy the Fidelity presentation. I go to some Schwab dinner/lunch presentations. Like the Fidelity presentations you mentioned, they're very low sales pressure and more just perks for high NW account folks, even DIY folks using low cost index funds.

They've had a few all day "Frequent Trader" education days at a downtown Chicago hotel including a fancy lunch and speakers from the MSNBC TV show which were great. Not something I'd want to do everyday, but once or twice a year it's good to spend a day hanging around with other investors, many FIRE'd, with skin in the game and listen to some speakers and trade ideas.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:13 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Feel free to "rant" away, if you like.
One person's rant is another's free entertainment or information!
It is still an open forum right?
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:27 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

If your presumptive rant is well-written, as it likely will be, I'd be pleased to read it.

I always learn from thoughtful, well-organized rants whose authors manage to resist using CAPITAL LETTERS, and don't punctuate everything with ellipses.

Amethyst

Quote:
Well this is interesting. I just got a call from my Fidelity Rep and invited to a really decent restaurant for a lunch on their Select funds of which I own a couple. Doesn't really count though, as Fidelity is very low sales pressure and I do usually learn some good stuff from them.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I've got almost $400k with Fidelity and live in a suburb of a major city but have never gotten invited to an in-person seminar. Am I too poor for them, maybe?
Old 03-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I've got almost $400k with Fidelity and live in a suburb of a major city but have never gotten invited to an in-person seminar. Am I too poor for them, maybe?
In most cases a private client relationship is needed for the Fidelity seminars that includes lunches or dinners. That's usually assets over 1 Mil.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Also check Schwab for local seminars. I don't think they require relationship for group seminars.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yes the dinners you need to be a private client but..... If you're around an investment center check out the training and presentations that come around. IIRC they're open to all but in my experience Fidelity doesn't do a great job of promoting them. Been to a couple that were pretty decent.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Yes the dinners you need to be a private client but..... If you're around an investment center check out the training and presentations that come around. IIRC they're open to all but in my experience Fidelity doesn't do a great job of promoting them. Been to a couple that were pretty decent.
That would explain it. I have family members who have Private Client accounts and that may get me the same status; will have to look into it.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

They've cut way back on the live presentations in this area and offer webinars instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Most restaurant meals aren't good enough to endure sitting through a presentation.

Besides - I can easily afford to pay for my own meals, and I usually save it for the exceptional places.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I've gone to a couple of these. The food is so-so, the presentations predictable and overall it would amaze me if they could possibly be helpful. After all even a medium quality meal is a fairly expensive way to prospect.

I have found the other diners to be pleasant.

Ha
Old 03-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Most restaurant meals aren't good enough to endure sitting through a presentation..
Catch up on your emails during the presentation? The food is a bonus.