Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Most restaurant meals aren't good enough to endure sitting through a presentation.

Besides - I can easily afford to pay for my own meals, and I usually save it for the exceptional places.
Don't discount the entertainment value of the presentation. Watching someone lie for an hour can be a riot. Gotta eat lunch someplace, why not let that guy pick up the tab?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

I had 29 years of people lying to my face. We used to get employee appreciation lunches with the vp. How disingenuous can it get?

Old 03-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My parents went twice. One time, one of the audience was the know-it-all and kept trying to show up the presenter. The second time, it's was all about annuities and that's something my parents aren't interested. I never received an invite but that may be because of my age. Pretty sure I'll never attend.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
My parents went twice. One time, one of the audience was the know-it-all and kept trying to show up the presenter.
There is almost always a know-it-all. I have more sympathy for the guy away from his home and hearth, trying to make a buck. If I can I will do a low key set-up for him. If someone knows it all, why doesn't he just stay home? Maybe he is so obnoxious that his wife sends him out?

Ha
Old 03-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
There is almost always a know-it-all. I have more sympathy for the guy away from his home and hearth, trying to make a buck. If I can I will do a low key set-up for him. If someone knows it all, why doesn't he just stay home? Maybe he is so obnoxious that his wife sends him out?

Ha

I went to a half day affair sponsored by a professional group. They had several professionals including estate planners,realtors, and so on. The know-it-all in the audience ended up being the guy I went with, otherwise I would have enjoyed the extra entertainment factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Don't discount the entertainment value of the presentation. Watching someone lie for an hour can be a riot. Gotta eat lunch someplace, why not let that guy pick up the tab?
This is my view. I have a colleague that I sometimes go with and once we got 'shushed' for our side conversation. Hard not to jab your friend in the ribs when the presenter tells a real whopper. Maybe we need to turn it into a drinking game... with $50 tequila shots perhaps!
Old 03-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Catch up on your emails during the presentation? The food is a bonus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
That's still not my idea of a pleasant outing. I'm just not that hard up for a free meal.

I'm sure my INTP personality is partly to blame.......

I'm also super picky about food.

and retired, so attending a scheduled presentation lunch seems like work.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:04 PM   #68

Quote:
Exactly how I felt last Wednesday at a seminar I was invited to with Fidelity. It brought back memories from the offsite meetings we had to endure with speeches and presentations during lunches and dinners so we never enjoyed our meals.

The difference with Fidelity is we had our drinks, dinners and desert before the presentation which made it enjoyable. And since they already have my money, the no sales pressure seminar made it even more enjoyable.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #69

Quote:
That's still not my idea of a pleasant outing. I'm just not that hard up for a free meal.

+1
Old 03-20-2016, 07:11 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:

Therein lies the difference. You consider it an encroachment and a bother. I consider it a challenge to ask pointed questions and hopefully set some young people straight.

We even attended on of these promotional seminars during our honeymoon. Both of us considered that it improved our experience.

Different strokes...
Old 03-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Therein lies the difference. You consider it an encroachment and a bother. I consider it a challenge to ask pointed questions and hopefully set some young people straight.

We even attended on of these promotional seminars during our honeymoon. Both of us considered that it improved our experience.

Different strokes...
We're not all the same person, so different strokes as you mention.

You hit upon a point I had thought of. Going to one of these events is a personal (or joint) decision, whereby you may ask hard questions of an FA, but also confront your own ability to ask a tough question and test your own knowledge.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #72

The quality of the meal is linked to the restaurant. We had a few really good meals, and some that were blah. One thing's for sure, if you don't attend there is no free lunch (or dinner).

Old 03-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
That would explain it. I have family members who have Private Client accounts and that may get me the same status; will have to look into it.
We are Private Client with Fido and "yes" they do extend the status to direct family members--our DD and DSIL got in that way. Your family members with Private Client status should request their rep contact you and include you. At least that is the way it worked for us.
Nwsteve
Old 03-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
+1

Couldn't agree more! While I've not attended many of these outside of Schwab's (which are frequently worthwhile), in those I did attend I found the know-it-all types who insisted on pressing and interrupting with comments and questions a headache to listen to. I'd be sitting there hypothesizing to myself why the speaker was going on and on about "scary market variation" and coming to the conclusion that he wanted to sell annuities to risk adverse folks when this jerk (right at my table no less) would shout out comments at the speaker loudly and with a demeaning tone. Again and again he interrupted abrasively and sometimes with bad info. I think he had stopped at the lounge section of the restaurant on his way in and popped a few shooters and now had to show everyone what a smart, brave guy he was by exercising his considerable vocal cords........
Old 03-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Wow, we've never heard a guest be rude to the presenter, although I have been known to politely ask a pointed question or two, when something really struck me as "off." (Like when some remark is made about "government employees.")

It's a dinner, after all, so I'm not going to try to ruin it for the other guests and beside, I am far from knowing it all. The law of averages being what it is, yet another reason not to go to any more of these meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
+1

Couldn't agree more! While I've not attended many of these outside of Schwab's (which are frequently worthwhile), in those I did attend I found the know-it-all types who insisted on pressing and interrupting with comments and questions a headache to listen to. I'd be sitting there hypothesizing to myself why the speaker was going on and on about "scary market variation" and coming to the conclusion that he wanted to sell annuities to risk adverse folks when this jerk (right at my table no less) would shout out comments at the speaker loudly and with a demeaning tone. Again and again he interrupted abrasively and sometimes with bad info. I think he had stopped at the lounge section of the restaurant on his way in and popped a few shooters and now had to show everyone what a smart, brave guy he was by exercising his considerable vocal cords........
Old 03-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Hard not to jab your friend in the ribs when the presenter tells a real whopper. Maybe we need to turn it into a drinking game... with $50 tequila shots perhaps!

That's how I'd be. Like the guys in the pews:
Old 03-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Wow, we've never heard a guest be rude to the presenter, although I have been known to politely ask a pointed question or two, when something really struck me as "off."
We go if it's a nice restaurant we might go. If so we and are polite and listen. But I have asked maybe one question formulated to clarify an undisclosed risk, or something like that. I did go see one guy after the meal. He is a fiduciary, who offered a full assessment of my current finances, beneficiaries, wills, and stuff (not a variable annuity one-trick pony). This gave me an excuse to put together a "snapshot" of all of that stuff in one place. I went in, shared the snapshot and learned a little bit, which lead to a few actions on my part, but of course didn't hire him since I'm a DIY guy.

The benefits, besides free food include having DW hear financial terms (she doesn't have one iota of interest if it's just me talking). On the way home, she actually asks questions about finances! She might say part of the deal sounded good, and I explain why it's not as rosy as they said. She gets it if she takes the time, but is just totally uninterested. But the presentation, at a minimum, trains DW not to trust guys like that. So if I go first, she's at least got her guard up.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #78

Invitations to retirement planning meals

They used to send us invitations but lately I haven't seen one. The best restaurant I've seen so far is Ruth's Chris steak house, I mean expensive, but we don't really care for this restaurant, so we never go.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Especially since they insist on saying Mass during your meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
They used to send us invitations but lately I haven't seen one. The best restaurant I've seen so far is Ruth's Christ steak house, I mean expensive, but we don't really care for this restaurant, so we never go.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Never gone to one of these but we do get invited at least once a week. Any meal that I have to share with strangers listening to a sales presentation for a product I know I will never buy would taste like sawdust to me no matter how expensive it is.

Although we are looking for a new car--I wonder why car dealers and others don't use this sales model. We could all sit in new cars in the showrooms and use the cupholders etc. while we eat car-friendly fastfood and listen to the schtick.