Join Early Retirement Today

IRA Direct Transfer Question
Old 05-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IRA Direct Transfer Question

My NFCU IRA CD matured and I'm moving funds to Ally. NFCU has no form for direct transfer to an outside IRA. I initiated a direct transfer from Ally but NFCU says they never got the form. I went into NFCU branch to request a check payable to Ally FBO <me> but they say no we have to mail the check to Ally. Ok. Three days go by and the call to say they can't do it. Instead they make it out the way I originally requested and mail it to me and I need to mail it to Ally. I'm waiting for a check in the mail but they already docked my account. Can they do that? I expected the funds would stay on deposit until the check cleared. It's only a few pennies but still. I've been screwing with this xfer for a month.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2017, 04:42 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From their perspective, the money is in the check, not in the account, so they will show the deduction.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you'll have to submit Ally's form with your transfer so that it's properly recorded with the IRS.
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
.... Can they do that? I expected the funds would stay on deposit until the check cleared. It's only a few pennies but still. I've been screwing with this xfer for a month.
Yes, that is the way it typically works for accounts like that... different from checking account... they reduce your account with they issue the check... you relay the check to Ally and they deposit it in your account.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERSonalTime View Post
I think you'll have to submit Ally's form with your transfer so that it's properly recorded with the IRS.

Yeah I planned on that but not sure there is a form for that so I'll improvise.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes, that is the way it typically works for accounts like that... different from checking account... they reduce your account with they issue the check... you relay the check to Ally and they deposit it in your account.

As I think about this you are correct and xfers from Fido have been handled the same way but I had more control over the deposit.
If the check gets lost in the mail it could be a real hassle. Now I'm thinking it might've actually been better to do a rollover vs direct transfer. I avoid rollovers since there is a one per year limitation it could be a source for a temporary loan in case of an emergency.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Update
I have submitted three requests to NFCU to transfer funds. Two other financial institutions are involved. Only one has been processed but I had to intercede on both ends. When NFCU received the request they sent entire balance instead of requested amount. I check balances daily so I caught the problem and called. The check was retrieved from the outgoing mail. When the new custodian received the funds the put in IRA savings instead of opening the CD I requested. Another call. NFCU never received the request from ALLY so I tried to get them to issue a check payable to Ally which they said they could do but they didn't. The sent a check payable to me so that makes it a distribution/rollover. I'm working on returning the check but they won't take it back unless it is lost/destroyed. I am appreciating FIDO more than ever right now. This has been going on ~2 months.