Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Sorry about the glitch. I hope you'll keep us posted for selfish reasons, I had two rollovers in 2011 and I use TT. Probably not filing until Feb 17 when Vanguard dump is available, and don't have all the necessary paper records to go manual entry anyway. And hopefully I will owe them, so no hurry.

Hope it gets better for you...
Your avatar has suddenly become a lot more intimidating

I got a suggestion from the TT Live Community today but it didn't help, just pointed me at the same link that says "don't worry, just file a paper return".

I'd rather find out the problem than pay for sending in a paper return, although that is the option I will choose if TT can't determine the problem.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Your avatar has suddenly become a lot more intimidating
You can thank Al!

And again, hope there's a TT update or fix that addresses the issue you found soon.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do about 400 returns a year for TaxAide. Every year there is some type of problem with e-filing at the beginning of the season. One of many reasons I wait to file in October.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
I do about 400 returns a year for TaxAide. Every year there is some type of problem with e-filing at the beginning of the season. One of many reasons I wait to file in October.
Good to know, thanks very much for that little gem.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #25
Administrator

The only advice I could get from the TT community was to re-do the entire return manually from scratch, not importing last year's return.

I do so today and submitted the return. Took me 2 hrs. Rejected a few hours later with the same error codes.

I'm simply going to print and file the return by mail on Monday.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Your avatar probably spooked someone in Homeland Security who alerted the IRS to place you on their No e-File List.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea. A few sheets of paper for the printer might cost a nickel or so, and adding that to the cost of two stamps on the return and the total cost would be about $1. That's nothing - - cheaper than coffee at Starbux, and the aggravation is done.

The e-file is fun but it's not the real value in TT, as I see it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
The only advice I could get from the TT community was to re-do the entire return manually from scratch, not importing last year's return.

I do so today and submitted the return. Took me 2 hrs. Rejected a few hours later with the same error codes.

Bummer. If you have a refund coming it will take longer. Too bad you couldn't resolve this. Will this affect your choice of tax prep sw next year?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds like a great idea. A few sheets of paper for the printer might cost a nickel or so, and adding that to the cost of two stamps on the return and the total cost would be about $1. That's nothing - - cheaper than coffee at Starbux, and the aggravation is done.

Certified mail with return receipt requested alone costs more than a buck.
The Fed & state authorities have become too cheap to mail filers the forms based on their prior year's filing. A 1040 with accompanying Scheds. A, B, D, D-1., Forms 1116(with supporting attachments), 6251, and 8606 amounts to more than a few sheets of paper; and the design of the forms (e.g. logos) wastes plenty of ink.
The IRS has turned taxpayers into 'public servants' who perform data entry tasks which formerly provided gainful employment to government data entry clerks.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Your avatar probably spooked someone in Homeland Security who alerted the IRS to place you on their No e-File List.
Funny you should mention that. In 1978, while I still looked like my avatar, we went on holiday to Ireland taking the ferry from Fishguard (Wales) then driving over to the west coast. Before we left one of the guys in the office said, "They'll never let you in, you look like a terrorist". I was travelling with DW, her sister and sister's husband. Our car got pulled out of line before boarding and we were questioned for a good 10 minutes or more. We ended up being the last car to roll on, the questioning took so long.

Quote:

I would never just mail it, it will be certified so it will cost a few $. It is the aggravation of printing, and going out to the post office and standing in line to send it that is annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Bummer. If you have a refund coming it will take longer. Too bad you couldn't resolve this. Will this affect your choice of tax prep sw next year?
Probably not. I've used TaxAct in the past, and it didn't cope very well with my foreign pension. The free version of TaxAct is also only on-line and doesn't import the previous year's data. I have a reasonably complicated return and like to play with it during the year to run various scenarios on withdrawal strategies, Roth conversions etc.

In the grand scheme of things this is just a minor irritation.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I would never just mail it, it will be certified so it will cost a few $.
Wow! I can't imagine. For over 40 years I just mailed mine in the envelope provided, and never worried about it or had any problems. After the www was invented, I could check online and see if they had received my paperwork and were starting on my refund yet.

Of course, I always filed my taxes early so anything had gone wrong, I had plenty of time to rectify it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #32

Everything I send to the IRS is certified. I am still in a strange loop with them on my 2009 tax return. For technical reasons I had to paper file that year. The return is still open. I have a notebook full of machine generated letters from them. They have lost my entire file twice (including all my responses to their inquiries). Without my certified receipts I have no proof that I ever responded to their queries.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Wow! I can't imagine. For over 40 years I just mailed mine in the envelope provided, and never worried about it or had any problems. After the www was invented, I could check online and see if they had received my paperwork and were starting on my refund yet.

Of course, I always filed my taxes early so anything had gone wrong, I had plenty of time to rectify it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Everything I send to the IRS is certified. I am still in a strange loop with them on my 2009 tax return. For technical reasons I had to paper file that year. The return is still open. I have a notebook full of machine generated letters from them. They have lost my entire file twice (including all my responses to their inquiries). Without my certified receipts I have no proof that I ever responded to their queries.
When I lived in Louisiana they lost my return once, owing me ~$80. I had sent it regular mail and didn't even notice I had not received the check until after the filing deadline. I called and talked to someone who said they no record of ever receiving it. He told me to make copies and mail it in again. Fortunately I never got a late penalty but after that I always sent via certified mail, until e-filing came along.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Probably not. I've used TaxAct in the past, and it didn't cope very well with my foreign pension. The free version of TaxAct is also only on-line and doesn't import the previous year's data. I have a reasonably complicated return and like to play with it during the year to run various scenarios on withdrawal strategies, Roth conversions etc.
Not to be too picky, but TaxAct does have a free downloadable version. This is what I am using this year.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Not to be too picky, but TaxAct does have a free downloadable version. This is what I am using this year.
Thanks for the correction. Does the downloaded free version allow you to import your the data from the previous year? I ask because my son uses TaxAct on-line and said it would be nice to be able to import from last year, but not enough for him to pay.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #36

Quote:

Likewise, I mail it early and check on it. I have a mental hangup about spending money to pay taxes.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
Certified mail with return receipt requested alone costs more than a buck.
The Fed & state authorities have become too cheap to mail filers the forms based on their prior year's filing. A 1040 with accompanying Scheds. A, B, D, D-1., Forms 1116(with supporting attachments), 6251, and 8606 amounts to more than a few sheets of paper; and the design of the forms (e.g. logos) wastes plenty of ink.
The IRS has turned taxpayers into 'public servants' who perform data entry tasks which formerly provided gainful employment to government data entry clerks.
I have a mental hangup about paying to do taxes also. I called IRS and asked them to mail me the forms that I needed, which they did. I have never sent mine certified either. Since we are talking about it, it will probably cause me problems this year. I certainly hope not. The first time that I run into problems, I will be sending mine certified also.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. Does the downloaded free version allow you to import your the data from the previous year? I ask because my son uses TaxAct on-line and said it would be nice to be able to import from last year, but not enough for him to pay.

Importing is a feature of the paid version.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #39
Administrator

Even though I use tax preparation software, I have always filed by mail --certified, return receipt requested. I will continue to do so until they won't take paper returns anymore.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #40
Administrator

I filed a paper copy, but here is the latest info back from my query.

Quote:
As of Feb 7, 2012, the folowing website says that it is a TurboTax problem and they are "working on it"

E-file Rejection: Code 0034 for Form 8606 and Codes 0151 and 0156 for Summary Records. - TurboTax® Software Support

After filing your Federal return it may be rejected with the following codes:

Code 0034 - Form 8606 - For each record, significant data must be present following the Record ID Group.
Code 0156 - Summary Record - Number of Form Records must equal the number of form records computed by the IRS.
Code 0151 - Summary Record - Number of Logical Records in Tax Return must equal the total logical record count computed by the IRS.

We're currently investigating these codes in order to correct your return. Please click here to be notified when we have updates.