Join Early Retirement Today

IRA rollover
Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IRA rollover

It looks like the IRS will allow direct rollovers from 401k type accounts to Roth IRAs beginning in 2008.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rollover_chart.pdf

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: IRA rollover
Old 02-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #2

Yes... But taxes are due. I wish we could roll only the after tax portions. Oh well... Conversion will work it just takes planning and time!

Old 02-07-2007, 01:49 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

This may seem self-evident, but I would like to be sure. In the roll over from qualified plan to .. can you split that between Roth IRA and regular IRA. Wouldn't seem to make sense that you have to only roll to one type of account, but with the government, I thought I'd better ask.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Isn't the math on that funny though? Like when you do a conversion to a Roth, and you already had some money in one, your tax amount is calculated based on the total amount of ALL your IRAs when you do the conversion.

Entire topic makes my head hurt when I read about it
Old 02-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon
Isn't the math on that funny though? Like when you do a conversion to a Roth, and you already had some money in one, your tax amount is calculated based on the total amount of ALL your IRAs when you do the conversion.

Can you explain this more ?

Thanks !
Old 02-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Helen,
I think what NinjaPigeon might be thinking about is when you make withdrawals and/or Roth conversions from traditional IRA's AND you have made a combination of after-tax and before-tax contributions to those traditional IRA's.

Each W/D or conversion is considered to come from both the after- and before-tax pots.

For example, suppose you deposited $3000 in an after-tax traditional IRA and $6,000 in a before-tax traditional IRA over the years. Then you decide to convert $3000 to a Roth. Then $1000 of that conversion will be treated as coming from after-tax contributions (because 3000/9000 or 1/3 of the original contributions were after-tax) and $2000 will be treated as before-tax (6000/9000 or 2/3). This is true even if all $3000 of your conversion came from the after-tax account, because all IRA's are lumped together for this computation.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon
When I complained about this once on Ed Slott's IRA Help forum, about six CPAs stomped on me for being too anal retentive analytical nuclear about it and told me to just plug through Form 8606.

They were right.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #8

Thank you, Gindie. I forgot about traditional IRAs.

Tags
ira