Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2007, 09:31 AM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

I just completed a transfer from Fidelity (403B) to Vanguard (TIRA). Not an apples-to-apples comparison as a direct trustee-to-trustee rollover was not possible (per Fidelity). I had to have Fidelity send me a check (made out to VG FBO me), then mail check to VG. I did call VG to find out exactly what they needed me to do per the deposit -- no forms, letter written specifying existing account to receive deposit etc.

I wasn't particularly surprised by time required. USPS no doubt accounts for a substantial piece of this.

Call to Fidelity to forms rec'd: 9 days
Mailed forms to F to receipt of checks: 12 days
Certified mail to VG: 4 days (Fri. pm to Tues a.m. - holiday weekend)

VG rec'd late Tues. a.m., shown pending Wed. a.m. (online), available for 'in-kind' purchases Thur. a.m. (today).

Just one example of process times...

Also no surprise that it would be much faster getting a check deposited than it would getting one cut!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

TIAA-Cref response time? A glacier would kick it's a$$..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I just requested a transfer from Ameriprise to Vanguard. The estimated completion date......6 months from a week ago.

I assume I'll be making those phone calls, too.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:29 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Lala View Post
I just requested a transfer from Ameriprise to Vanguard. The estimated completion date......6 months from a week ago.
If there was any doubt about leaving Aperiprise, this absolutely ridiculous foot dragging make-the-client-suffer attitude should confirm the wisdom of your decision. Good luck in extricating yourself from them.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I initiated an IRA rollover from another company to Vanguard on Oct 4. Estimated completion date was Feb 2008. It was completed Oct 19.

And actually, Vanguard posted it twice. Now maybe that will be corrected by February!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Lala View Post

I assume I'll be making those phone calls, too.
And wait for Ameriprise to start charging account closure fees, transfer fees, and whatever fees they can charge you one last time... But rest assured, you have just made the best decision of your life by transferring to VG...
Old 10-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Im in the process of transferring my IRA from TD Ameritrade to Vanguard. According to Vanguards website, I initiated the transfer on 5/22 and the estimated completion date is 7/10.

Does this sound right that it should take that long? A month and a half?

Obviously I plan on calling them, but I was wondering if anyone else has had experinince transferring an IRA like this.

PS...all investments have been liquidated so its all cash.
You first posted this on May 29, just one week after you say Vanguard listed as its date for starting the transfer from TD Amritrade. One week is not long enough, maybe three weeks more realistic.

So, did your transfer get completed? When?

I deal with both TD Ameritrade and Vanguard and have found both to be satisfactory. I know when I transfered some IRAs from Schwab to TD Ameritrade, the timing was around the three week timeframe.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
Very true, but in my particular case, the only help I could get from anyone was at Vanguard. I got almost nowhere trying to solve my Ameriprise problem until I did a conference call that included a Vanguard rep and an Ameriprise rep. The Vanguard rep knew when he was being told things that made no sense and he stopped all the baloney that I was being fed.

I agree that the back office process software is pretty much the same everywhere. Unfortunately, the back office workers are not.

Any advice for the phone calls to Ameriprise that I will inevitably have to make?

Tags
ira, vanguard