Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdraft57 View Post
I don't think mine are irrational at all but my DW certainly does. I wanted store brand parmesean cheese yesterday and she wanted big name brand for $1.15 more. So we argued in the aisle over $1.15. I said ok DW I will just throw $1.15 out of my wallet on the floor does that make sense? Well we got the store brand but she wasn't happy. I won a battle but am loosing the war for sure.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I hope this wasn't grated Parmesan cheese, which includes cellulose filler. Always buy the real thing, Parmiggiano-Reggiano, in a block, and grate it yourself. You will notice the difference! 🇮🇹

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #222
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I hope this wasn't grated Parmesan cheese, which includes cellulose filler. Always buy the real thing, Parmiggiano-Reggiano, in a block, and grate it yourself. You will notice the difference!
Cellulose provides valuable fiber that doctors say most of us need. If DW brings home a block of that hoity-toity Pamesan-in-a-block I have to grate in some newspaper to make it taste like the regular stuff.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:55 AM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

I was discussing the "frugal" topic with a friend over the weekend. He told me he knew he had gone too far when, after a trip to Aldi's supermarket, he bragged to his DW that he had found a quarter left on a shopping cart (you have to shop Aldi's to understand). I asked if his wife rolled her eyes when he told her. "How did you know?"
Yep, been there, done that, in recovery, etc......
Old 09-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #224
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
I was discussing the "frugal" topic with a friend over the weekend. He told me he knew he had gone too far when, after a trip to Aldi's supermarket, he bragged to his DW that he had found a quarter left on a shopping cart (you have to shop Aldi's to understand). I asked if his wife rolled her eyes when he told her. "How did you know?"
Yep, been there, done that, in recovery, etc......
I make a POINT of looking for forgotten quarters at Aldi's. I probably score a quarter every 4th trip! Makes me feel good. Always put the quarter in the (empty) ash tray in the car so DW always has one when she goes to Aldi the next time. Think I have 4 or 5 in there now from our summer on the mainland. I will miss Aldi when we return to Paradise. $1.69 milk instead of $5.89 always turns my head the first couple of trips to Aldi in the summer. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #225

At my Aldi there is a thriving pay it forward movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #226

I remember giving a kid with his mom a quarter to take the cart back. Big grin on that kid.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Lol. Not Glen Showalter. My frugal skills are several notches above Glen's. Heck, the stuff he bought was Quaker Oats product. I always knew about the stuff on the lower shelves and my kids were much younger than his when I had to match wits with them.
This reminds me of this story. When I was an infant I'd had surgery done and the doctor told my parents to feed me skim milk for a while because it would be easier to digest. My dad carpooled with two or three other guys and once on the way home he asked to stop at a convenience store to "buy some skim milk for the baby".

"What!" they said. "You feed skim milk to the baby?"

"Sure" he said. "It's cheaper and he doesn't know the difference".

The other guys later told him they debated whether to let him back into the car.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #228
Dryer sheet wannabe

A friend of mine got a new electric razor every year, for "free". He bought a Philishave/Norelco 2-head shaver. The design stayed basically the same year after year, except for cosmetic changes. After a year, he would buy a new one, put the old razor in the new box and return it to the store for a refund, saying he was unsatisfied.

Then once he tried it at Walmart with a GPS. They were smart enough to check the serial number on the device to the serial number on the box. End of that game.

That crossed the border from irrational frugality to theft.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #229
Full time employment: Posting here.

I grew up in a frugal family who taught me two important economic lessons.

"A penny saved is a penny earned "

"Keep the pennies in line and the dollars will follow."

Both my father and I retired early.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #230

"A penny saved is a penny earned "

Actually... an after tax penny saved is MORE than a penny earned if you paid taxes on that penny earned.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

You deem this frugality irrational, and certainly no retirement is going to fail because you buy Brawny paper towels instead of store brand.

But so what? One benefit of retirement is a clearer mind, and one way to get a clearer mind is to have default procedures in many common situations. It may not even matter what the default is, but for it to help it should be reasonably consistent. Go with perceived or assumed quality would be one default, go with the store brand another. Most of us are certainly not truly wealthy, regardless of what we might like to imagine. So most practical might be "go with the store brand, unless experience has taught you to avoid it in this store or this category or whatever.

Or one can do what I do when buying paper towels, toilet paper, etc.

Use an ad discount [everyone here gets several weekly grocery store circulars in the mail]... then stock up on the name brand at my neighborhood Walmart [Walmart honors competitor ads.]

There is also a way you can do this on line... but I prefer the old fashioned way.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #232
Recycles dryer sheets

I LIKE being frugal- so I don't consider it irrational. Its like a game- how little can I spend on things I need but don't care about (like paper towels) so that I can enjoy spending a little more on fun stuff like vacations. And we find we like "off the beaten path" vacations better than luxurious ones anyway. We once won a trip at a fancy resort that came with a butler- we had to tell him after the first day we didn't need him but thanks. We didn't want to wait for him to do things we could as easily have done ourselves.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #233
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know what your talking about (as I prepare to shop) and looking at my spreadsheet (ok i keep a spreadsheet) which breaks out all the stuff I buy by ounce/count etc, where I bought it at the best price, what type of coupons I used, etc... going to eventually turn it into an app once I finish the last of my class... so I might be going a bit far, but its hard to track and when you see a sale and figure out that its still twice as much as you find elsewhere..its frustrating... like today it started with the clorox toilet bowel cleaner, I got it cheaper at Costco when there was a manufacturer coupon, but haven't seen in awhile so now i'm out so stuck buying, and target has buy 3, get 1 free so that is the best deal but I'm paying 1 1/2c per ounce more, so 36 cents more per 24 oz bottle.. and I wouldn't even be buying this expensive product if it wasn't for the fact my honey refuses to clean the toilets without it.. so now i have to weigh doing the toilets myself or paying the extra 36 cents... decisions decisions.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post

I LIKE being frugal- so I don't consider it irrational. Its like a game- how little can I spend on things I need but don't care about (like paper towels) so that I can enjoy spending a little more on fun stuff like vacations. And we find we like "off the beaten path" vacations better than luxurious ones anyway. We once won a trip at a fancy resort that came with a butler- we had to tell him after the first day we didn't need him but thanks. We didn't want to wait for him to do things we could as easily have done ourselves.

Bravo... a frugal girl after my own heart.

When I was growing up... our family vacations were usually camping out... but in interesting and diverse places... the mountains, the desert, the forest, etc... good family times I will never forget !!

Old 09-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
We didn't want to wait for him to do things we could as easily have done ourselves.
We don't even like being served meals by waiters, and almost never frequent restaurants.....shipboard we eat in the buffet, and only occasionally venture into the dining rooms at the behest of friends...just hate people hovering over us.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Nemo2, you're a man after my own heart. I'm the same way. I have friends who eat at least one, if not two meals in restaurants every day. I probably do so once or twice a month.

First, I enjoy cooking all my food from scratch.
Second, I begrudge the time. From first contact until paying bill takes quite a while, and guarantees I'll go through two or three beers before leaving. If I had eaten at home, it probably would have been only one. Good for the restaurant but bad for my waistline.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #237
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We don't even like being served meals by waiters, and almost never frequent restaurants.....shipboard we eat in the buffet, and only occasionally venture into the dining rooms at the behest of friends...just hate people hovering over us.
I DO love being served in restaurants- love especially that I don't have to clean the kitchen and do dishes after. But the whole butler thing was just weird. We asked him to bring us coffee one morning and then stared at each other fully dressed (didn't want the butler seeing my pjs) waiting for him to arrive when we could have been at the restaurant drinking coffee and watching the tide come in. To each his own though- somebody must like personal butler service or swanky resorts wouldn't offer them.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #238

Speaking of eating out...

When I go to a local fast food hamburger restaurant, I buy only the hamburger... nothing else [I bring my own bottled water.]

One day on my receipt there was a special offer coupon... buy medium drink and medium fries and get a hamburger free.

On the next visit, I used the special offer coupon... and paid OVER A DOLLAR MORE for the "medium drink and fries" and "free hamburger" than I usually pay for the hamburger alone.

A friend who used to manage a fast food restaurant told me they make most of their money on those drink and fries extras... so I am sticking to my old routine.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

Speaking of eating out...

When I go to a local fast food hamburger restaurant, I buy only the hamburger... nothing else [I bring my own bottled water.]

One day on my receipt there was a special offer coupon... buy medium drink and medium fries and get a hamburger free.

On the next visit, I used the special offer coupon... and paid OVER A DOLLAR MORE for the "medium drink and fries" and "free hamburger" than I usually pay for the hamburger alone.

A friend who used to manage a fast food restaurant told me they make most of their money on those drink and fries extras... so I am sticking to my old routine.

I would not look at it that way... I would look at it as them selling you drink and fries for $1.... now, if you do not want to pay $1 for those two items, go back to your old way...
Old 09-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

I would not look at it that way... I would look at it as them selling you drink and fries for $1.... now, if you do not want to pay $1 for those two items, go back to your old way...

On the receipt, the cost of the drink alone was almost two dollars.

I can buy a six-pack of coke for that price.