Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Coupons.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
I prefer the free water, others in my family insist on bottled. I can't taste any difference, but others claim the bottled stuff tastes better.
Where I worked one of the secretaries administrative assistants insisted bottled water was better. When we started picking her used bottle out of the recycling bin and refilling it with tap water she never noticed.

I suspect it is simply a matter of the colder temperature, assuming you keep it in the refrigerator.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
In the 70's who would have ever thought people would pay a dollar or two (inflation adjusted) for plastic bottles of water.

Many brands of bottled water is nothing more than filtered water from municipal systems with a picture of a mountain on the label.

We have great well water with an RO (reverse osmosis) system so it's almost free.
OK... I want to know... what kind of system do you have and how much water can you get out of it within reason...

I ask because I have one under the sink and now it starts to peter out before you can get a pint out of it... it will still give water, but at a very reduced rate (almost a trickle)....

I cannot remember how much we used to be able to get out before this happened, but I know the flow is reduced (and it is not the filters, I think it is the storage tank)...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK... I want to know... what kind of system do you have and how much water can you get out of it within reason...

I ask because I have one under the sink and now it starts to peter out before you can get a pint out of it... it will still give water, but at a very reduced rate (almost a trickle)....

I cannot remember how much we used to be able to get out before this happened, but I know the flow is reduced (and it is not the filters, I think it is the storage tank)...
It almost surely is the storage tank. It sounds like the air bladder is low on pressure. It's simple to add air (you can use a hand pump or a small compressor, it's got the same type of valve stem as a tire), but you need a sensitive low-pressure gauge so that you don't put too much air in and burst the bladder. I can't recall the amount of air pressure they typically take, I think it is around 10-12 PSI. Mine needs to be topped off about every 5 years or so.

If adding air doesn't work, the air bladder may be ruptured/leaking. Just get a new pressure tank, they aren't very expensive. The rest of your RO system should still be fine.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #105
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
For me, it's more about the irritation I feel whenever I've paid too much. I dislike being ripped off in principle more than I feel the loss of a few dollars here and there.

There's also the feeling that I should be setting a good example for my children.

+1 on this. It is the principle. Exactly why I would NEVER buy soda and popcorn at the movie theatre. I am not going to let them get away with robbery.
fleefromhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread is why I love this forum !

To the OP, I do not think your frugality was irrational at all. Like someone else, I barely use paper towels, reserving them only for nasty floor cleanups. I tear old clothes for rags and I have a dozen white facecloths that I use for cleaning. I wash them in the laundry with some bleach to sanitize.

I thoroughly wash and reuse freezer bags. I hate the thought of tossing all that plastic into a landfill.

I follow the practices of reduce - reuse - recycle. It makes me feel good and it saves me money as a benefit.

The reason I was able to retire at 52 was precisely because I can be frugal and still have an awesome quality of life. That frugality got me here, and it will keep me here. And I'm not ashamed of it one itty bit
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #107
Full time employment: Posting here.

This irrational frugality is an interesting concept. I know a lot of people who will scrutinize the cost of paper towels but get gun shy when they have an opportunity to haggle for something where it can make a big difference in their lives like a raise, a salary, the cost of a home, car, home repair or sales commission. Personally I prefer to ignore the little things and save my chutzpah to ask for a discount on just the big stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
It almost surely is the storage tank. It sounds like the air bladder is low on pressure. It's simple to add air (you can use a hand pump or a small compressor, it's got the same type of valve stem as a tire), but you need a sensitive low-pressure gauge so that you don't put too much air in and burst the bladder. I can't recall the amount of air pressure they typically take, I think it is around 10-12 PSI. Mine needs to be topped off about every 5 years or so.

If adding air doesn't work, the air bladder may be ruptured/leaking. Just get a new pressure tank, they aren't very expensive. The rest of your RO system should still be fine.

Thanks... I looked it up on you tube and found a video... will have to get in there and do it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I stopped picking up pennies 10 years ago. If I hurt my back I would just hate myself -
As a country, Canada did away with pennies years ago. It was many years before that that I stopped using them by throwing them away.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #110

This is an interesting thread. I find my own habits irrational--in some things I'm quite frugal and in others rather liberal. Guess it just depends on what one values.
One area where I'm often torn is Aldis. I really like their selection and price, and I find much of what I need there. But not everything, so I then have to make a trip the opposite direction to Target where I do the remainder of my weekly shopping. It is starting to be a time-versus-money issue for me in that I resent having to go to the two stores. Also with home projects I do less (or, at least, attempt less) on my own now than I did previously. Now I hire more things out. But this is also largely the fact that I am still employed and time really is at a premium.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
As a country, Canada did away with pennies years ago. It was many years before that that I stopped using them by throwing them away.
This explains the inordinate amount of dimes we found on the ground in Toronto. Canadian dimes, the new penny. I guess they aren't worth a whole lot more than US pennies at today's forex rates are they?

On the note of finding money, my daughter crushed it in Toronto/Niagara Falls while there on vacation for 2 weeks. Once she found a $20 right outside City Hall, then found $5 on the ground right next to the falls. Since we charged almost everything to a credit card, that was our cash supply during our vacation. I gave her a US $20 once we got home for her efforts (yeah, I lost $0.73 on the forex on that trade).
Old 08-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
Water we get(NJ) is from very very old rustic pipes and even with filters it slowly affected our bodies. I was so sick in late 2014/early 2015 that I thought I was done. We first switched to Kirkland brand water in Costco and now Poland Spring. We even cook our food with that water....No half measures or frugality here as it concerns our health. our health have been improved and we do not get sick as often.
Curious, but the municipalities I have obtained water from are required to demonstrate that they meed U.S. Safe Drinking Water Act standards for pollutants of concern (the Act was promulgated in 1974) . If you get water from a regulated supplier, I would suspect that your provider also mails you an annual summary of their water quality analysis to prove to the residents that their water meets the safe drinking water standards.

Are you getting your domestic water from a regulated municipal utility, a non-regulated water source, or is your home plumbing the issue that has been making you sick?
Old 08-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
I've been known to walk in the gas station and pay cash to save $.10/gallon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
I've had my DW drive out of the way a few blocks to save 2 or 3 cents/gal on gas.
Lightweights...the truly frugal walk to the gas station carrying a red gas can in each hand.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:13 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Lightweights...the truly frugal walk to the gas station carrying a red gas can in each hand.
I do that sometimes when I need to refill my 1 gallon can for the push mower. Seems silly to drive the half mile to the gas station on the corner when the weather is nice.

Invariably a friend or neighbor sees me and tries to give me a ride.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of frugality and gas: For every $100 we spend, our supermarket gives us 10 cents off per gallon of gas, but just on one fillup. The max fillup is 35 gallons. When it is time, DW and I both go in separate cars to opposite sides of the pump and do a single sale. Plus I bring my 5 gallon can. We got 34 gallons in our two cars plus the can last time. It's a bit of a hassle, but only takes about 15 minutes, and we saved $30 last time.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:56 PM   #116

Quote:
Speaking of frugality and gas: For every $100 we spend, our supermarket gives us 10 cents off per gallon of gas, but just on one fillup. The max fillup is 35 gallons. When it is time, DW and I both go in separate cars to opposite sides of the pump and do a single sale. Plus I bring my 5 gallon can. We got 34 gallons in our two cars plus the can last time. It's a bit of a hassle, but only takes about 15 minutes, and we saved $30 last time.

We do the same thing. When they give 4x points we load up in gift cards. Keeping a spreadsheet of how much I save.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #117

doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:32 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We have this trick where we just don't drive a lot. The cost per gallon doesn't decrease but we're saving money in the gas category overall.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:14 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

The system I have is two tanks mounted on the basement wall with a line going to a tap on the kitchen sink. I can easily fill a gallon jug in a very reasonable amount of time. I installed the system in 2014 and haven't had to change out the cartridges in the tank yet. When it's time, the water will come out in a trickle instead of regular water line pressure. Perhaps that's the issue with yours.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:18 AM   #120

Quote:

If that's the case, the water pressure in the entire house would be affected. I'm betting the cartridges in the RO system need to be changed out. Very low pressure (trickle) out of the RO system is what typically alerts the user to change out the cartridges.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote