Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Speaking of frugality and gas: For every $100 we spend, our supermarket gives us 10 cents off per gallon of gas, but just on one fillup. The max fillup is 35 gallons. When it is time, DW and I both go in separate cars to opposite sides of the pump and do a single sale. Plus I bring my 5 gallon can. We got 34 gallons in our two cars plus the can last time. It's a bit of a hassle, but only takes about 15 minutes, and we saved $30 last time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
We do the same thing. When they give 4x points we load up in gift cards. Keeping a spreadsheet of how much I save.
+2

I love 4X fuel points on gift cards at Kroger. They usually offer this near the end of the year. I stock up on Amazon gift cards and use them for online purchases. I also use my AMEX Blue Cash which earns the 5% "grocery" discount on gift cards purchased at Kroger.

I once calculated a 19% discount with the 4X fuel points (AMEX 5%, plus $1/gal discount on fuel up to 35 gal). It's 12% with 2X fuel points, which is the standard deal for gift cards. My Suburban holds 30 gallons, so I just have to wait until it's completely empty and also bring my 5 gallon can. I once brought a 1 gallon can also, but the pump cuts you off at exactly 35 gallons.

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
When I ever say "Its not worth my time" it is really a code word for I am either too lazy, or just do not want to mess with it. And that happens often since I value my time as $0.0 per hour.
When I was making the big bucks ($250k/yr), I would gladly change light bulbs or paint walls and called it therapy (a lot cheaper than a therapist!).

Old 08-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
As a country, Canada did away with pennies years ago. It was many years before that that I stopped using them by throwing them away.
I did away with pennies by using my debit card for all purchases under $10, CC for above. Since parking meters and buses started using prepaid or credit cards, I have no use for change.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
If that's the case, the water pressure in the entire house would be affected. I'm betting the cartridges in the RO system need to be changed out. Very low pressure (trickle) out of the RO system is what typically alerts the user to change out the cartridges.
A couple of things: 1) The pressure tank I was referring is a small one just for the RO system, they have a total volume (air and water) of just a few gallons. When it loses pressure in the air bladder it has zero impact on house-wide water pressure. 2) A properly functioning RO system will ONLY put out a small trickle of water from the RO membrane cartridge. That water gets collected in the separate pressure tank and accumulates there for later use. If the air in that pressure tank bladder isn't at the right pressure, the drinking water won't dispense under pressure (in practice, what often happens is the water does accumulate and develop some pressure against the deflated bladder, but only the first few ounces will come out at a "normal" rate and then the rest comes at a much lower rate).

I suspect you may be thinking of the household--wide pressure tank used with a residential well system. That's a different thing.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The system I have is two tanks mounted on the basement wall with a line going to a tap on the kitchen sink. I can easily fill a gallon jug in a very reasonable amount of time. I installed the system in 2014 and haven't had to change out the cartridges in the tank yet. When it's time, the water will come out in a trickle instead of regular water line pressure. Perhaps that's the issue with yours.
If what you have is an RO system, you can't tell if the RO cartridge needs replacing by the flow rate of the drinking water. It will remain high even with an RO membrane that is shot. You'll need to periodically test your drinking water with a TDS (total dissolved solids) tester to know when it is time to change the membrane. Now, if you don't have an RO system but just have filters, sometimes flow rate can tell you when to change them . . . sometimes it doesn't.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I did away with pennies by using my debit card for all purchases under $10, CC for above. Since parking meters and buses started using prepaid or credit cards, I have no use for change.
Likewise. I keep some quarters in my cars in case I need to put air in the tires. Otherwise I give any change I get to my DW who carts it around in her purse. Only downside is that sometimes I have to wait as she counts it out at stores, Geesh.

When I'm in Arizona it is even worse. I don't really have much use for $1 dollar bills. Mostly use cash for tipping the car Jockies and this would normally by a $5'er. Always happy when I can get rid of 5 ones. Wallet gets more comfortable to sit on.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #127
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Gotta be careful with this one. Ask at the dealership and do your research online. Just upgraded our 2008 Lexus RX 350 with a 2015 model. Both call for premium only, but both run fine on regular unleaded. The 2016 model does not.
Also have to make sure that where you pump gas actually has premium coming from the premium pumps. Many states don't have enough or any regulators monitoring this. I know there was research done several years ago and in the state of Michigan approximately 50% of premium pumps were pumping regular.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #128

Yes Mexico is also a challenge. Peso coin is about 7 cents but they have it divided down to one tenth (10 centavos). Being a cash society, everything below a peso gets given away because they get replaced regularly.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A couple of things: 1) The pressure tank I was referring is a small one just for the RO system, they have a total volume (air and water) of just a few gallons. When it loses pressure in the air bladder it has zero impact on house-wide water pressure. 2) A properly functioning RO system will ONLY put out a small trickle of water from the RO membrane cartridge. That water gets collected in the separate pressure tank and accumulates there for later use. If the air in that pressure tank bladder isn't at the right pressure, the water drinking water won't dispense under pressure (in practice, what often happens is the water does accumulate and develop some pressure against the deflated bladder, but only the first few ounces will come out at a "normal" rate and then the rest comes at a much lower rate).

I suspect you may be thinking of the household--wide pressure tank used with a residential well system. That's a different thing.

Funny.... a thread hijack!!! And it was me that did it...

It is probably my tank... I have a bigger one for some reason, like 1 1/2 to 2X what I see online.... and I looked at it quickly... it says it can operate up to 120 psi!!! Yes, that is on the tank... not the 5 to 10 psi I see on the videos... but, I do not see where to put in the air... the tank is behind all my pipes and garbage disposal, so not sure how to get it out...
Old 08-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If that's the case, the water pressure in the entire house would be affected. I'm betting the cartridges in the RO system need to be changed out. Very low pressure (trickle) out of the RO system is what typically alerts the user to change out the cartridges.
My undersink RO water began to have low water volume, so I followed this procedure.
An easy check is to let a small amount of air out of the tank, and if any water comes out, it's defective. There's a rubber bladder inside that can develop a leak over time. I suspect this is a common failure for RO systems. You can find replacement RO tanks online for around $40 delivered, depending on capacity.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Funny.... a thread hijack!!! And it was me that did it...

It is probably my tank... I have a bigger one for some reason, like 1 1/2 to 2X what I see online.... and I looked at it quickly... it says it can operate up to 120 psi!!! Yes, that is on the tank... not the 5 to 10 psi I see on the videos... but, I do not see where to put in the air... the tank is behind all my pipes and garbage disposal, so not sure how to get it out...
Maybe somebody saw tat 120 PSI label on your tank and believed it--that would certainly rupture a typical RO bladder.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
+2

I love 4X fuel points on gift cards at Kroger.

I once calculated a 19% discount with the 4X fuel points (AMEX 5%, plus $1/gal discount on fuel up to 35 gal). It's 12% with 2X fuel points, which is the standard deal for gift cards. My Suburban holds 30 gallons, so I just have to wait until it's completely empty and also bring my 5 gallon can. I once brought a 1 gallon can also, but the pump cuts you off at exactly 35 gallons.
Thanks for sharing that tip, I have to take better advantage of that "loyalty" card.

Although, since ER, we only fill up once a month if that. But I'm game for the game.

_B
Old 08-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
Thanks for sharing that tip, I have to take better advantage of that "loyalty" card.

Although, since ER, we only fill up once a month if that. But I'm game for the game.

_B
It's a pretty good deal. Of course, I wonder how much I'm paying in higher prices at Kroger in order to get it. I rationalize that Kroger is close, convenient, and has what I want vs. possibly cheaper alternatives. (I suspect they are cheaper--I haven't priced them out).
Old 08-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Me too. I go out of my way to not deal with cash. One it's a PIA and 2, I play the CC points game hard. We have pushed as much as $100k/year through our two cards, we use it for everything, lunches at work, gas, food and major purchased that we can. We have been on at least 2 international airline trips in Business/First Class on points alone. I really feel like the CC industry is one that the fiscally disciplined can really game on. I don't think we have carried a balance on any CC month to month for decades, we always pay them off every month.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:51 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe somebody saw tat 120 PSI label on your tank and believed it--that would certainly rupture a typical RO bladder.
Since I have not touched it since moving in 6 years ago and it working until recently... not likely... but... I wonder if this is a different kind of tank... still have to get it out, but DW says leave it alone for now..
Old 08-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #136

Quote:
It's a pretty good deal. Of course, I wonder how much I'm paying in higher prices at Kroger in order to get it. I rationalize that Kroger is close, convenient, and has what I want vs. possibly cheaper alternatives. (I suspect they are cheaper--I haven't priced them out).
Kroger is not my main grocery store because (a) it's too big, and (b) the prices are higher than most. I shop there occasionally, but I mainly go there for the 2X and 4X fuel points on gift card purchases. And their gas is already among the cheapest in town.

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #137
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
That reminded me... When paying with cash the total amount is rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents, but when paying with credit or debit, the exact amount is charged.

Amounts ending in $.01 or $.02 round down when paying cash. Amounts ending in $.03 or $.04 round up. You can arbitrage this.

If it would round down, then pay in cash, saving 1 or 2 cents. If it would round up, then pay debit or credit, avoiding the extra cent or 2 that would result from rounding.

Could really add up over time!
Old 08-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLaker View Post
That reminded me... When paying with cash the total amount is rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents, but when paying with credit or debit, the exact amount is charged.

Amounts ending in $.01 or $.02 round down when paying cash. Amounts ending in $.03 or $.04 round up. You can arbitrage this.

If it would round down, then pay in cash, saving 1 or 2 cents. If it would round up, then pay debit or credit, avoiding the extra cent or 2 that would result from rounding.

Could really add up over time!
Now THAT's irrational!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
My wife can do shopping at malls for hours without buying anything...

Just one more phenomenon I've yet to witness...
Old 08-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #140

My most irrational frugality that I have broken to some degree is teabags. I just remember growing up seeing my parents reuse teabags over and over to get the last little flavoring from them. It took me years to break that habit, but at times I still feel like I'm wasting things if I toss one out after one use.

Another area, due to me traveling and attending technical conferences several times a year - I'll always squirrel away a water (or occasionally a soda) and/or a tea bag during breaks. This saves paying the hotel room or vending machine charges for those items (though AT LAST more hotels are starting to provide teabags in rooms for us non-coffee drinkers). Of course, the only problem is that, if I flew to the conference, I have to make sure I drink it all or give them away, since I cannot take them back on the airplane.