Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
IRS Audit
Old 10-31-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 427
IRS Audit

I received an audit by mail notice from the IRS back in January for our 2012 return. They claimed we owed an additional 33k because of some business expenses that they were denying.

After 9 months of submitting proof of the expenses and getting additional pushback from the auditors, they finally sent me a letter this week congratulating me on the fact I now owe 0.

Yay! Except all of this unasked for attention cost me countless hours of my time and $600 in CPA fees.

Now I got a letter today from the State of Illinois saying I owe THEM 3k in additional taxes on my 2014 return.

Sheesh. Here we go again.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
I received an audit by mail notice from the IRS back in January for our 2012 return. They claimed we owed an additional 33k because of some business expenses that they were denying.

After 9 months of submitting proof of the expenses and getting additional pushback from the auditors, they finally sent me a letter this week congratulating me on the fact I now owe 0.

Yay! Except all of this unasked for attention cost me countless hours of my time and $600 in CPA fees.

Now I got a letter today from the State of Illinois saying I owe THEM 3k in additional taxes on my 2014 return.

Sheesh. Here we go again.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Wonder if you understood what triggered those audits?
__________________

__________________
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubt, while the stupid people are full of confidence.”

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,518
Argh. Illinois is so annoying this way. Once the IRS reverses something, IL gets the memo and are on it.

My dad had an issue with dementia and forgot to file some stuff (told the CPA he didn't have those accounts). Well, he did have them, and he owed the IRS a few hundred, for real. We paid it.

Then IL came along and demanded their share. Problem was he was exempt since he had almost no taxable income in IL as a retiree. Called the CPA and she agreed he owes nothing to IL, but her fee to fix and file would be more than the bill IL sent us.

I could have filed myself for nothing, but decided to pay the $60 or so just to make them go away and close the estate.

I did a lot of grumbling over that little mess. I usually fight and fix this on principal, but sometimes you just need stuff to end. Hope you enjoyed your bonus, IL. You didn't deserve it.
__________________
JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:20 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
Wonder if you understood what triggered those audits?
Ostensibly the Federal audit was that they wanted clarification and proof of my "other" business expenses that we claimed. I'll never know what actually triggered them.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
__________________
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:36 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: chicago burbs
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Argh. Illinois is so annoying this way. Once the IRS reverses something, IL gets the memo and are on it.

My dad had an issue with dementia and forgot to file some stuff (told the CPA he didn't have those accounts). Well, he did have them, and he owed the IRS a few hundred, for real. We paid it.

Then IL came along and demanded their share. Problem was he was exempt since he had almost no taxable income in IL as a retiree. Called the CPA and she agreed he owes nothing to IL, but her fee to fix and file would be more than the bill IL sent us.

I could have filed myself for nothing, but decided to pay the $60 or so just to make them go away and close the estate.

I did a lot of grumbling over that little mess. I usually fight and fix this on principal, but sometimes you just need stuff to end. Hope you enjoyed your bonus, IL. You didn't deserve it.
I'm sure Illinois found a way to spend that $60. They are good at spending!
__________________
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
Greencheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 261
Illinois is broke, they need a way to fix that budget somehow!
__________________
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
I went through an audit I think 3 years ago it dragged on for a year, it had some initials NPR? It was a random audit that 13,000 people get . I was one of the unlucky ones. They wanted receipts for everything, and wanted to see my bank statements for 13 months ,every deposit needed an explanation. Cost me 1600 for the CPA, he told the accountant in a normal audit he would allow the items if I had some receipts but in this one I I claimed 100 dollars but only had receipts for 97 that's all the credit I would get. I spent endless days trying to figure out why I deposited 200 bucks on this day or that, . Long story short I found more receipts than I deducted , but on charities I never deducted because I couldn't originally find them, the auditor told my accountant I owed 780 dollars and if I was going to play games they would go back 3 years. He told me it would probably cost me another 2
Or 3 THOUSAND dollars for his time to represent me if they did 2 more years . I told him fine who do I send the 780 to. They strong armed me but it cost me more to fight it.
__________________
I earned it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by I earned it View Post
I went through an audit I think 3 years ago it dragged on for a year, it had some initials NPR? It was a random audit that 13,000 people get . I was one of the unlucky ones. They wanted receipts for everything, and wanted to see my bank statements for 13 months ,every deposit needed an explanation. Cost me 1600 for the CPA, he told the accountant in a normal audit he would allow the items if I had some receipts but in this one I I claimed 100 dollars but only had receipts for 97 that's all the credit I would get. I spent endless days trying to figure out why I deposited 200 bucks on this day or that, . Long story short I found more receipts than I deducted , but on charities I never deducted because I couldn't originally find them, the auditor told my accountant I owed 780 dollars and if I was going to play games they would go back 3 years. He told me it would probably cost me another 2
Or 3 THOUSAND dollars for his time to represent me if they did 2 more years . I told him fine who do I send the 780 to. They strong armed me but it cost me more to fight it.
When I got a letter from the IRS a couple of months ago. I actually was happy that only my tax info got hacked and this wasn't some kind of audit. From the description of such a headache of the audit, looks like getting the tax info stolen isn't so bad after all.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
I would have settled for that
Old 11-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #9
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
I would have settled for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
When I got a letter from the IRS a couple of months ago. I actually was happy that only my tax info got hacked and this wasn't some kind of audit. From the description of such a headache of the audit, looks like getting the tax info stolen isn't so bad after all.
Yeah I agree
__________________
I earned it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by I earned it View Post
I went through an audit I think 3 years ago it dragged on for a year, it had some initials NPR? It was a random audit that 13,000 people get . I was one of the unlucky ones. They wanted receipts for everything, and wanted to see my bank statements for 13 months ,every deposit needed an explanation. Cost me 1600 for the CPA, he told the accountant in a normal audit he would allow the items if I had some receipts but in this one I I claimed 100 dollars but only had receipts for 97 that's all the credit I would get. I spent endless days trying to figure out why I deposited 200 bucks on this day or that, . Long story short I found more receipts than I deducted , but on charities I never deducted because I couldn't originally find them, the auditor told my accountant I owed 780 dollars and if I was going to play games they would go back 3 years. He told me it would probably cost me another 2
Or 3 THOUSAND dollars for his time to represent me if they did 2 more years . I told him fine who do I send the 780 to. They strong armed me but it cost me more to fight it.
Thanks for the pointer on this. I generally enter all of my transactions into Quicken with a brief memo, but historically I thought that I would be the only one using this information.

In the future, I will remember that the IRS may wish this information also.

I was curious if you had a business (ie Schedule C) at the time. I could see them looking for unreported business income, but this seems a bit surprising for someone who is not a business owner.

I am also curious about how much time lapsed between the time you filed the return and when it was selected for audit.

Thanks
-gauss
__________________
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
It's 100 % the truth
Old 11-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #11
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
It's 100 % the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Thanks for the pointer on this. I generally enter all of my transactions into Quicken with a brief memo, but historically I thought that I would be the only one using this information.

In the future, I will remember that the IRS may wish this information also.

-gauss
Ever since that letter / audit I put in the checkbook details like , anniversary gift from kids etc, escrow refund . The one that threw us was a return of our security from the electric company it was 600 dollars, the irs was viewing it as unreported income from something or gambling winnings or something , and wanted to tax us.
__________________
I earned it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
No ,no business just one w-2 and a bunch if statements from banks and investment firms. I did get a 1099 from a company that I did security for 10 weeks but I wrote off maybe 100 dollars in transportation that's it. Maybe it was the 1099 job that prompted the bank statement thing. The cpa said this audit is everyone's nightmare thing. I had to get papers proving how much I paid in home taxes, the legwork involved was tremendous.
__________________
I earned it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by I earned it View Post
Ever since that letter / audit I put in the checkbook details like , anniversary gift from kids etc, escrow refund . The one that threw us was a return of our security from the electric company it was 600 dollars, the irs was viewing it as unreported income from something or gambling winnings or something , and wanted to tax us.
Often banks can produce copies of old checks that were deposited long after they are no longer available on the web site.

There is generally a small fee (ie $5-$10) for each check copy. Something to keep in mind if anyone gets into this situation, or perhaps verify with their bank now how far back they can go.

-gauss
__________________
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #14
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
It was paid by direct withdrawal , no check , I had to show a paid bill from the city with the amount and then the bank statement , showing the electronic deduction. I paid quaertly so times 4
__________________
I earned it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #15
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
The bank was hugely helpful for some checks I deposited , they had photocopies that's how we figured out some things. But the utility refund didn't have their name on it, it had some other holding company etc,
__________________
I earned it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 2,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
I received an audit by mail notice from the IRS back in January for our 2012 return. They claimed we owed an additional 33k because of some business expenses that they were denying.

After 9 months of submitting proof of the expenses and getting additional pushback from the auditors, they finally sent me a letter this week congratulating me on the fact I now owe 0.

Yay! Except all of this unasked for attention cost me countless hours of my time and $600 in CPA fees.

Now I got a letter today from the State of Illinois saying I owe THEM 3k in additional taxes on my 2014 return.

Sheesh. Here we go again.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Just wait until you can collect Social Security. They'll try to deny your payments and/or say they overpaid you and want their money back. That's happened to me twice in the past year. I won the first claim but it took three months of paperwork, phone calls and office visits. I'm just starting the second one now but should win that one too since it based on the same "bad assumptions" they made the first time. (seems they don't check your history)

I found the best way to handle such claims is VIA real paper in the US mail. (no email) Phone call are useless (if you can get a real person) and a visit to the local office will really scare you after talking to them in person. I'm convinced that they if they are being paid just half of the current minimum wage, then they are vastly overpaid.
__________________
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Thanks for the pointer on this. I generally enter all of my transactions into Quicken with a brief memo, but historically I thought that I would be the only one using this information.

In the future, I will remember that the IRS may wish this information also.

I was curious if you had a business (ie Schedule C) at the time. I could see them looking for unreported business income, but this seems a bit surprising for someone who is not a business owner.

I am also curious about how much time lapsed between the time you filed the return and when it was selected for audit.

Thanks
-gauss

Just as an FYI, I earned it got caught in a random audit that the IRS performs rarely.... if you are unlucky and get picked, every number on the return is looked at and verified.... this is what they use to determine where people might be cheating and adjust their normal audits where they pick you for a number that looks bad....

One time when this happened, the news had a story that a kid that filed a 1040EZ was being audited.... but, they had to do the audit because it was chosen at random....


I mentioned it before, but when I was doing taxes the picked a return of a very wealthy client who had died... so the return was very complex... I forget how long the IRS agent was there, but it was months... I had to show all my schedules etc. of how the income was split between him and his wife and what he earned when he was alive and what he earned after death..... after death earnings are not on your last 1040.... there were zero changes to the return, which I was pretty proud of....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #18
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
yeah NRP audit real unfun affair I felt like al Capone, lost sleep , found cpa he told me not to worry, I felt much better, after I hired him I didn't even get letters he got them, I just wrote the checks. Now I go to him for tax prep , I probably could use h and r block but after the audit experience I'd rather spend the money on him to stop the aggravation. Before the audit I went to some mom and pop tax guy, when I got the letter all he could say was no man this is all good, you got proof, but he was useless to represent me, he never even heard of a NRP audit
__________________
I earned it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,708
Thanks for the additional info Texas Proud.

I have always been prepared (for the most part) to defend what is entered onto the tax forms.

What was new to me, with this post, was that it seems you need to be prepared to defend every bank account transaction also.

-gauss
__________________
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by I earned it View Post
yeah NRP audit real unfun affair I felt like al Capone, lost sleep , found cpa he told me not to worry, I felt much better, after I hired him I didn't even get letters he got them, I just wrote the checks. Now I go to him for tax prep , I probably could use h and r block but after the audit experience I'd rather spend the money on him to stop the aggravation. Before the audit I went to some mom and pop tax guy, when I got the letter all he could say was no man this is all good, you got proof, but he was useless to represent me, he never even heard of a NRP audit
It's a remarkably nasty and overly intrusive program, IMHO.
I sure hope I never get caught in it. Not that I haven't always been scrupulously honest in my tax returns, but the hassle is apparently overwhelming.
IRS Updates National Research Program for Individuals
__________________

__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GE corporate audit staff? TheGeneral Young Dreamers 44 04-21-2014 07:07 AM
IRS Audit?? Brdofpray FIRE and Money 39 02-25-2013 09:24 PM
Swiss bank account list audit cletis FIRE and Money 37 08-24-2009 10:01 AM
Question for CPA (Audit Side) HatePayingTaxes Young Dreamers 11 10-27-2006 09:01 PM
MY IRS AUDIT Lakewood90712 FIRE and Money 2 01-18-2006 08:52 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:46 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.