Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

IRS Delays Start of Filing Season for Taxpayers With Itemized Deductions
Old 12-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Administrator

IRS Delays Start of Filing Season for Taxpayers With Itemized Deductions

Quote:
Taxpayers who claim deductions for home-mortgage interest, gifts to charity and state and local taxes will have to wait until middle to late February to file their 2010 returns.
The Internal Revenue Service attributed the late start of the filing season to changes in tax law for 2010 that were finished last week. The agency needs extra time to put processing systems in place, the IRS said today.
“The majority of taxpayers will be able to fill out their tax returns and file them as they normally do,” IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman said in a statement. “We will do everything we can to minimize the impact of recent tax law changes on other taxpayers. The IRS will work through the holidays and into the new year to get our systems reprogrammed and ensure taxpayers have a smooth tax season.”
The delay also applies to filers preparing to take advantage of a deduction for college tuition and fees of up to $4,000, and a separate $250 deduction for teachers’ out-of- pocket classroom expenses.
IRS Delays Start of Filing Season for Taxpayers With Itemized Deductions - Bloomberg

This is not a surprise, but is still unfortunate.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How much will that really delay anyone? I never get my W-2 until the end of January anyhow.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
How much will that really delay anyone? I never get my W-2 until the end of January anyhow.
I agree, plus REIT fund statements come late in February.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I always file in October after getting an extension. Will this affect me? I think not.

Actually, it would be interesting if the IRS said, "No refunds until October." I imagine then that folks would not overwithhold and the amount of refunds would be reduced.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Administrator

My kids will be delayed. Just earned income, no investment transactions, no itemized deductions. They have excess tax withheld and usually get a nice refund.

The ones that will be affected the most are the ones that benefit the least from and are most inconvenienced by the delay.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My kids will be delayed. Just earned income, no investment transactions, no itemized deductions. They have excess tax withheld and usually get a nice refund.

The ones that will be affected the most are the ones that benefit the least from and are most inconvenienced by the delay.
If your kids aren't itemizing, what will delay them? Are they taking the deduction for college tuition?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

This is unexpected, and good to know. Thank you, MichaelB.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
If your kids aren't itemizing, what will delay them? Are they taking the deduction for college tuition?
You're right. Brain fart. Must be the holiday stress.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Another reason to not count on getting a big refund.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Another reason to pay off your mortgage.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess that would depend on whether or not one was getting a W-2 in the first place!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Quote:
I guess that would depend on whether or not one was getting a W-2 in the first place!
Oops! I think I assumed people who get their income from non-job sources wouldn't be itemizing. But you're right, that wouldn't necessarily be the case.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've never been able to itemize and never will so doesn't affect me any.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I've never been able to itemize and never will so doesn't affect me any.
On a more serious note, charitable contributions combined with other deductions may put you over the top.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
On a more serious note, charitable contributions combined with other deductions may put you over the top.
Maybe or maybe not. Given aaronc879's ultra-lean budget, I think the only thing he could deduct on Schedule A is his property taxes ($900), and any medical insurance/expenses above 7.5% of his AGI. Since the budget doesn't list medical, let's say (for purposes of discussion) that his medical deduction is the same amount as property tax. The standard deduction last year for a single was $5700, so he'd have to have charitable deductions of almost a third of his total income, to get to a $5700 bottom line on Schedule A.

My base budget after retirement will be significantly higher than his, but I wonder if it will even be worth my while to itemize, because I'll have only property tax, health insurance above the limit, and charitable donations too. I think for me it will be pretty close to a wash, but I suspect all the real über-frugals in the forum would be better off taking the standard deduction.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #16

hum, not sure what to make of this. typically aarp does free tax prep for those over 60 but the appts are in mid feb at the local library and when done they file electronically. i paid off my mortgage in mid june so with only 6 mortgage payments this year and paying off chunks last december and in january then march, my balance was dropping fast. i suspect the interest paid all total in 2010 may not allow me to itemize so maybe there's no impact on me. i've never been in this position before so it's all up in the air due to that. for 2011 going forwards i'll never itemize again.

thanks for the info.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I itemize and always owe something, although I try to keep it near break even. But I never mail it off until 4/15 anyway. I like to go to the tax protest parties. Good food, beer, music, and crazy people. So it won't effect me.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I do not quite understand the cause for the delay. Were the changes that complicated or so late being agreed to or both or what?
Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Late.

The IRS has to revise forms, schedules and instructions, update websties, and get everything printed to incorporate all the last-minute changes.

I have to imagine all the tax software folks (TurboTax, etc.) area scrambling as well.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

But is there something specific in the recent tax changes dealing with "deductions for home-mortgage interest, gifts to charity and state and local taxes"?
Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote