IRS Direct Pay System went down on Tax Day.

A couple of days ago I paid my first Estimated Taxes in years. I paid using this system, completely forgetting my mantra to avoid giving my checking information on line. My payment cleared on the 16th. But with the apparent frailty of the system, never mind security, I'll pay by check from now on.

If you decide to file your tax return on a day before the deadline, you won't encounter this problem. This is the penalty for procrastination.

For the last few years, I have been making my 4th quarter estimated tax payments electronically and have had no issues. I make the payments at least a few days before their due dates.

I have seen this happen with other items over the years. For example, at the start of a month, the Long Island Rail Road has sometimes had problems processing CC payments through its vending machines on the first weekday morning of a month when many commuters buy their new monthly tickets at their home stations. Sometimes, the first of a month occurs on a Monday when other riders are buying their weekly tickets, adding to the problem.

If people were to buy their monthly tickets a few days in advance, like I always did back in my commuting days, this flurry of activity would be more spread out. While the payment system should be able to handle this, the procrastinating riders do share some of the blame.

If you decide to file your tax return on a day before the deadline, you won't encounter this problem. This is the penalty for procrastination.

"He who hesitates gets his file lost"

For the last few years, I have been making my 4th quarter estimated tax payments electronically and have had no issues. I make the payments at least a few days before their due dates.

+1
Delaying until the last day is just inviting disaster, if not the IRS system, it would be my own computer that would suddenly die.

My career was around systems and performance issues. Waiting to the last day is about the same as sizing systems on their average workload.

Neither is particularly good for you.

Back
Top Bottom