Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

IRS Notice & Benefit of Hiring a Tax Pro
Old 05-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

IRS Notice & Benefit of Hiring a Tax Pro

Every couple of years, I get thinking that I should start using Turbo Tax and save the tax prep fee. I had planned to do so for tax year 2019, then. . . .

I received an IRS notice asserting that we owe approximately $8500 in additional tax and penalties on year 2017. Everything, seriously, everything in the notice was incorrect. The biggest error, causing most of the problem was one stock sale shown with a -0- cost basis, when in fact the return and supporting docs had shown a basis that was more than the proceeds, a net loss.

Additionally, the notice asserted tax due related to income from a holding held in an IRA. The k-1 clearly states that the asset is held in a ROTH IRA. There were other blatant errors as well.

My accountant, quickly prepped a multi-page response complete with supporting docs., and I never had to get on the phone or write the IRS myself.

This episode and the once or twice a year I email my CPA to ask a planning question, is why I'll keep using a trusted pro to handle my taxes.
Emerson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So, did you file by paper or electronically?

I would assume by paper which means it could have been input incorrectly... filing by Turbo Tax would have prevented this in the first place..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

No, have been filing electronically for years. The return was 100% correct.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson11 View Post
I received an IRS notice asserting that we owe approximately $8500 in additional tax and penalties on year 2017.
I recently received an IRS notice for tax year 2018. Anyone who e-filed and faithfully followed the IRS 2018 instructions for taking Section 199A(g) DPAD is going to receive such a notice, because the IRS computers aren't equipped to handle it.

It's not a big deal. I'll call the IRS in a few weeks and get it straightened out.

BTW: it's very useful to create an account with the IRS and download a transcript for the tax year in question. This provides you with a look at your taxes from the IRS's point of view.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I had a similar experience. Always did my own tax. I was audited a few times but if was only desk audit..they wanted to see my automobile expenses. No issue, no adjustment.

About three years before retirement I was concerned that I might have made some errors. I wanted to be clear of the tax folks prior to FIRE. At the same time I got a notice that they wanted supporting data on a a tax shelter that I was involved with. It did not feel 'good'. Never does when the tax folks knock on your door.

Seemed a good opportunity to a recommended CPA involved. I engaged her and then got all of our papers, 1999-2006 organized so that she could do her work. Weeks later. A 3K bill. Refiled both our returns, some of them going back to 1999. 10K refund in total plus an efficient tax plan going forward that we are using to this day. Plus of course, her fees were tax deductable. The other benefit was knowing that there would not be a knock at the door and a big tax bill two years or so into FIRE.

I am a huge believer in engaging competent professional help when it is required. We do not care about the hourly rates/fee. We only care about the outcome. Strictly cost/benefit ratio for us. We never cheap out when we need good advice or guidance.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

How did they go back to 99? You are not supposed to be able to amend a return past 3 years...

The only way I know is that you never filed 99 which then still leaves that tax year open to file...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:19 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've always been a believer in using a CPA. They too can make mistakes, of course, but they also seem to know how to navigate the issues when the IRS gets it wrong (or even right, heh, heh.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:04 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
BTW: it's very useful to create an account with the IRS and download a transcript for the tax year in question. This provides you with a look at your taxes from the IRS's point of view.
I never knew that you could do this. Thanks for the tip. (assuming they let overseas filers create an account)
Old 05-04-2019, 04:19 AM   #9

I had an incident where we got a nice IRS letter over a decade ago that said we owed over 13k. We had two identical investment sales other than the owner. In the reviewing we had inadvertently left off the basis info on one of them. No pro, but after the shock it was easy to sort. Do an amended return and they owed us $80.

I usually keep K-1's out of IRAs as UBTI can cause your TIRA to have to pay taxes.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
How did they go back to 99? You are not supposed to be able to amend a return past 3 years...

The only way I know is that you never filed 99 which then still leaves that tax year open to file...
Isn't the 3 year limit only to get a refund?
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:54 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I guess I was never intimidated by anything the IRS or state tax people sent me because they were always clearly wrong. It was also easy to straighten them out.

The way I approach it is that they are human beings and taxpayers themselves and just doing their job. If they don't have the resources (good computers, good software) to know any better, then I cannot blame them. Very often, these letters are simply computer generated.

As far as Emerson11's situation, if the return was correct (like mine have been), a phone call to have a human in the IRS look at it is probably all it takes to fix the situation.

I'll bet at first that Emerson11 was irritated with the accountant about the tax return.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:15 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

It’s been rare, but we’ve easily reponded to the IRS by answering their letter with our documentation when we thought they were in error or correcting our mistake.

We don’t use TurboTax to save the tax prep fee. We were simply comfortable doing our own taxes long ago, and that hadn’t changed.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #13

I prepare my sister's tax returns using TurboTax. Last year she received a CP2000 notice from the IRS for 2016 claiming she owed 9K in tax, penalty and interest.

The two issues they highlighted were a stock sale and under reporting of interest. The first one was legit as she forgot to provide me with the 1099 for the sale of all shares of an ESPP but the other issue was an input error on the IRS part.

She panicked and wanted to hire a CPA to handle the response but I convinced her to let me handle it. I responded to the IRS with a letter and an amended return with backup documentation. The IRS accepted the amended return and waived the penalty as we requested under the FTA (first time abatement). Her final bill was $343 plus $30 in interest.

For me it was an easy experience the few times I had to deal with the IRS. As long as someone is organized and the backup documentation is available.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:04 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I live in Canada. We are able to go back and refile for four years (I believe).

We can go further back with the permission of the CRA, the tax dept. This is routinely granted for at least two or three years. In 2006 we refiled back to tax years 1999 with no issue whatsoever. I was given to understand that this is not unusual.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #15

My experience with trying to correct IRS has been dramatically different.
I made four trips to the local IRS office to provide documentation etc for an IRA rollover (IRS wanted to tax it as a distribution) and a claim of the first time home buyer tax credit. Each time the locals said the documentation I provided " is very clear and should resolve it". Each time another letter from the IRS auditors stating "you owe" with no info as to what they disagreed with. Finally they sent the "we're going to seize all of your bank accounts" letter.
I went thru the tax payer advocate office to speak directly with the auditor on the phone... auditor asked 1 question regarding timing of an IRA rollover and poof... they were happy. When I asked if they needed documentation to prove that verbal answer: "no need... we're good".
That was 7 years ago. To this day I have to warn my wife that I'm expecting forms from the IRS so that she doesn't freak out that we've gotten another letter from the IRS.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #16
gone traveling

I'm not hearing anyone say they used TurboTax & heard from the IRS only when either a) the taxpayer's input was wrong, or b) the IRS was wrong and ultimately accepted the taxpayer's input with sufficient documentation. Net, don't know why to not used TT from this thread.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
My experience with trying to correct IRS has been dramatically different.
I made four trips to the local IRS office to provide documentation etc for an IRA rollover (IRS wanted to tax it as a distribution) and a claim of the first time home buyer tax credit. Each time the locals said the documentation I provided " is very clear and should resolve it". Each time another letter from the IRS auditors stating "you owe" with no info as to what they disagreed with. Finally they sent the "we're going to seize all of your bank accounts" letter.
I went thru the tax payer advocate office to speak directly with the auditor on the phone... auditor asked 1 question regarding timing of an IRA rollover and poof... they were happy. When I asked if they needed documentation to prove that verbal answer: "no need... we're good".
That was 7 years ago. To this day I have to warn my wife that I'm expecting forms from the IRS so that she doesn't freak out that we've gotten another letter from the IRS.
I’m sure if it escalated when we thought we had responded correctly, we would get additional help.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I'm not hearing anyone say they used TurboTax & heard from the IRS only when either a) the taxpayer's input was wrong, or b) the IRS was wrong and ultimately accepted the taxpayer's input with sufficient documentation. Net, don't know why to not used TT from this thread.
Right, this is not the reason to avoid TurboTax and have an accountant do your taxes all the time.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We only used a CPA for 2 years when we had complicated returns due to selling 2 properties at a loss. It was expensive but worth it. The rest of the time we use turbo tax.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

My OP was conversational, not a directive.
My point was that I didn't have to call the IRS, go through a process, wait on hold, fill out forms, or seek an IRS supervisor.
I was merely providing food for thought about an additional value received when one hires a professional to do ones taxes. I wasn't implying that everyone should stop doing their own taxes, or stop using TT, or even that my way is the best way. Each of us values things differently.