Join Early Retirement Today

Is 15% Enough for you to turn me in to the IRS?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Is 15% Enough for you to turn me in to the IRS?

Is a 15% reward enough for you to turn in a loved one?...just askin.

Quote:
Small–time crooks: The IRS's informant program has been around for more than 140 years. If you suspect a person is committing tax fraud and report it, you could receive up to 15% of the amount that has been underpaid, with a maximum award of $10 million.
Informants are required to complete a claim, which is available on the IRS Web site, and mail it to the agency or call the IRS tip line at 1–800–829–0433. While you must reveal your identity to the IRS, your name will not be made public.
rat-out-a-tax-cheat-collect-a-reward: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I depends upon how "loved" they are.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Is a 15% reward enough for you to turn in a loved one?...just askin.
Hunh... so you can put a price on love!

When spouse signs her 1040, in the "Occupation" block she puts "Innocent spouse".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I coulda (presumably) gotten a 15% reward for turning in my ex-spouse. She failed to report my lump-sum alimony payment like she should have. I had her dead to rights as I had a copy of her tax return (via a divorce action), a copy of my tax return, and a copy of the divorce decree. I thought about it for a long time and decided not to for some reason. I think maybe I was too lazy to be vengeful/justice-seeking.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I coulda (presumably) gotten a 15% reward for turning in my ex-spouse. She failed to report my lump-sum alimony payment like she should have. I had her dead to rights as I had a copy of her tax return (via a divorce action), a copy of my tax return, and a copy of the divorce decree. I thought about it for a long time and decided not to for some reason. I think maybe I was too lazy to be vengeful/justice-seeking.

2Cor521
Hope she stays on your "good-side" because I assume you have seven years from the year of infraction to change your mind and turn her in to the IRS.

Just saying...
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the Stasi in the former East Germany had a similar plan.
newporttony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:

2Cor521

What's her name? I'm not that lazy...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newporttony View Post
I think the Stasi in the former East Germany had a similar plan.
Oh, that was just their version of Neighborhood Watch.......
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Amazing that a rule like that could be around for 140 years in view of the fact that the 16th amendment wasn't ratified until 1913.
ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

For 15% of $1,000, no.
For 15% of $10,000, no.
For 15% of $100,000, maybe.
For 15% of $1,000,000, probably.
For 15% of $10,000,000, yes.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Heck, I'd do it for 0%. They oughta pay, if that is the law.

Most of those laws should be changed, but until they are...

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Talking to a contractor yesterday ... tells me that he got slapped with an IRS lien for 150k in back payroll taxes. Now it all makes sense ... disgruntled employee looking for an easy buck.

This got me thinking about a different contractor who I paid about 200k cash to (building a home). This one was an idiot ... left me with a mess to cleanup. Wouldn't it be nice to settle the score ... I know he didn't report the cash. Then I read this:

Quote:

While the names of informants aren't made public, Gagnon said that a person's identity often becomes obvious based on the proof provided.
"Certain records show up and they can figure out where they're coming from," he said.
Something tells me I'ld find cement in my septic system - or worse.

Never mind.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Talking to a contractor yesterday ... tells me that he got slapped with an IRS lien for 150k in back payroll taxes. Now it all makes sense ... disgruntled employee looking for an easy buck.
...and a tax cheating employer to supply same.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:28 AM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:

2Cor521
Did you deduct your alimony? Did you put her correct SSN on your return as required? Then the job is done. No reward except the good feeling of "ravange" as Ivana Trump says. IRS will either accuse you of faking alimony payments (got cancelled checks?) or her of not reporting, and probably both.
Borbastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borbastic View Post
Did you deduct your alimony? Did you put her correct SSN on your return as required? Then the job is done. No reward except the good feeling of "ravange" as Ivana Trump says. IRS will either accuse you of faking alimony payments (got cancelled checks?) or her of not reporting, and probably both.
Yes, yes, and yes. I don't fear the IRS on this item, I did everything correctly.

At the moment I think the "good feeling of ravange" is over-rated.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, yes, and yes. I don't fear the IRS on this item, I did everything correctly.

At the moment I think the "good feeling of ravange" is over-rated.

2Cor521
I don't know why you see it as revenge of any sort?

Holding someone to their responsibilities is just that. Nothing more. If you were jumping through some legal loopholes to make her technically responsible for something that normally would not be the case unless you went through those extraordinary hoops, then I could see it. But she simply owes the money, right? No if,and,buts?

Quote:
She failed to report my lump-sum alimony payment like she should have.
That sounds pretty straightforward to me.

PM me the info and I'll do it (I'm only half-joking). I'll donate the 15% to the charity of your choice. It's a win-win, the charity wins, the deficit is reduced, and maybe she will learn a lesson. Getting away with this will embolden her and everyone she tells about it to cheat on their taxes also.

-ERD50
Old 03-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if the government has any concept of the money lost to underground business deals. Every contractor I have had, has a nicer truck than mine.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Something tells me I'ld find cement in my septic system - or worse.
I thought about reporting a number of businesses I am acquainted with that I have been informed cheat on taxes in a routine way. I don't have any first hand evidence, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to get some. But I'd be afraid of cement boots, not cement in my septic tank, were I to report these businesses and their owners.

For the curious minds, the businesses in question are retail/service oriented and encourage customers to complete cash transactions instead of leave a paper trail with credit card charges. They even have an ATM inside the store to facilitate cash transactions. The cash never goes on the tax books, and employees get paid partly in cash. I have not been informed of this, but I assume that some employees do not have proper documentation to work at these locations. All this is 2nd hand info.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I don't know why you see it as revenge of any sort?
I don't. I was quoting Borbastic.

Quote:
Holding someone to their responsibilities is just that. Nothing more. If you were jumping through some legal loopholes to make her technically responsible for something that normally would not be the case unless you went through those extraordinary hoops, then I could see it. But she simply owes the money, right? No if,and,buts?
She made a mistake on her return. I don't know, and haven't bothered to figure out, if that would have resulted in additional taxes owed.

Speaking of responsibility, it's her responsibility to report her taxes correctly and the IRS's responsibility to enforce tax laws. It's my responsibility to pay my alimony, child support, and take care of my kids. I've got enough on my plate taking care of my own responsibilities.

Quote:
That sounds pretty straightforward to me.
If those were the only facts, yes, it is straightforward. Three kids and knowing her for 26 years adds some context that I don't have time to share.

Quote:
PM me the info and I'll do it (I'm only half-joking). I'll donate the 15% to the charity of your choice. It's a win-win, the charity wins, the deficit is reduced, and maybe she will learn a lesson. Getting away with this will embolden her and everyone she tells about it to cheat on their taxes also.

-ERD50
You're assuming she cheated intentionally. I am not certain that is the case.

2Cor521
Old 03-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You're assuming she cheated intentionally. I am not certain that is the case.

2Cor521
sorry 2Cor521, didn't mean to strike a nerve. I did get the (apparently wrong) impression that she did it intentionally. Intentional tax cheats get on my nerves a bit, so that fed into my response (which was a bit more 'tongue-in-cheek than you interpreted it, but that happens with postings).

Take Care - ERD50