Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

W2R, if I tried that, I would look like the boys in the pic.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

$11.95?? I can't get a cut that cheap. Not in Calgary; not in Bellingham. Guess I gotta go souf to da Big Easy.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
W2R, if I tried that, I would look like the boys in the pic.
Well, it helps to have wavy/curly hair because it hides a lot of unevenness.

I used to cut my ex-husband's hair, which was very straight. It is easier to cut my own hair and get decent results, than it was his.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I thought the photo was from a Supercuts ad.
www.peopleofwalmart.com They would fit in perfectly.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:52 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree with previous posts that a quarter of a million with a paid for home or an apartment with a liveable pension and health benefits in certain low cost areas of the country would indeed be fairly affluent depending on your mindset. You could live here in western PA on that and many folks do(and on much less) and manage quite well provided one's spending habits are not profligate. And if I got a cheap haircut, with my straight fine hair, I would look like a skinned rat. A friend with thick curly hair chops away at her mop herself and she always looks nice.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmm...I dunno....maybe her own money and rechargeable batteries...
Thanks bbbamI, I actually spewed when I read that.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Thanks bbbamI, I actually spewed when I read that.
Mmmmm, well...I just tell it like it is....

btw, I keep a towel close to the computer for spew fests....
Old 01-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

250K no way. When my mother was still here, I was looking for assisted living places for her to live. One place would not even talk to me unless she had 400K in liquid assets.
Old Mike
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I recall this picture from an exhibit at the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford (the oldest public art museum in the country), about two years ago. They had a whole series of pictures of equally unusual people from the same small town out West (at least I think it was out West; I could easily be wrong about that)
After asking my friend at the Atheneum, I got some additional information. This is indeed in the collection of the Atheneum, a gift of Mickey Cartin. It is a photograph by Roger Ballen of twin brothers from Transvaal in South Africa.

Here is a link to more info for the rare few who might be even remotely interested.

CARTIN COLLECTION

http://www.rogerballen.com/

The collection is called "Platteland" under "Image Gallery"
Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #50

How to Pretend You Come From a Rich Family

Important lesssons for you $250k posers. This is important so pay attention !

"How to Pretend You Come From a Rich Family"

Pretending that you are from a rich family takes some thought and a little money. Sometimes, you have to pretend to be rich to make money so that you can be rich. Remember that rich people place very little importance on money. Rich people are usually very classy and proper in every situation.

Step 1
Make up your story in advance. Practice saying all of the elements of your story until they are easy to remember and sound natural when you say them. If you just make things up as you go along, you may find it difficult to remember the things you said.
Step 2
Buy a few designer items. This can be an outfit and a couple of accessories. Build your wardrobe around these items.
Step 3
Know the terminology of the rich. You should be able to carry on a conversation about haute cuisine, fashion and current events that would affect someone who comes from a rich family.
<Step 4
Stay humble. Bragging will make people think twice about your background. Rich people generally accept expensive things as a part of life.
Step 5
Practice etiquette. This is very important because rich families place a lot of importance on being proper in public. Concentrate on learning the different types of silverware, the proper way to speak and proper titles used to address others.
Step 6
Tip generously when you are eating out with friends. Being too stingy is a sure sign of a poser. Your tip should be slightly above average.
Step 7
Support a charity. Buy a ticket to a benefit dinner or ball. Make sure that you are seen by everyone who is there.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
How to Pretend to Be Rich and Popular
Old 01-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #51

How to Pretend to Be Rich and Popular

More important info for posers...

Step 1
ATTIRE: Buy cheap clothes on sale from outlet stores. The key is to appear to be nicely fitted, when in reality you got that tie from Walgreens. Now your pimpin!
Step 2
MONEY: Keep a wallet full of dollar bills, fives, and even tens. Tell your date you like to use your credit card only on "expensive things", and don't be afraid to show off those 100 dollar bills even if you return it to your bank account after the night.
Step 3
TALK: Keep your conversation geared towards other people, and try not to give away your information. You need to stay mysterious and if they ask where you work, simply reply, "I'm a male gigalo, want a lapdance?"
Step 4
FOOD: When going out always eat beforehand and try to go to the least expensive restaurant. If need be, skip lunch every single day to pay for dinner on Friday night. If your date insists they pay, let them.
Step 5
CELL: Have your friends text and call you often, but pretend they are business partners and important calls. Make it look like everyone wants contact you but you are concentrating on your date.
Step 6
WORK: Exaggerate your job and pretend your more important than you are. If you work at McDonald's say you oversee customers in a private restaurant and then change the subject. Don't forget to mention you own a start-up business but have been putting it off because of your donations to the poor.
Step 7
FAKE IT, UNTIL YOU MAKE IT: Don't forget that most people fake being successful until they do become successful. Just tell yourself your rich and popular, and you are.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post

Practice etiquette. This is very important because rich families place a lot of importance on being proper in public. Concentrate on learning the different types of silverware, the proper way to speak and proper titles used to address others.

Shouldn't be too hard for you Nords, didn't knife & fork school cover this stuff?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post

At first I thought this was clearly satire. Now I'm not so sure! I think this really is a self help article designed to help folks act how people think rich people act.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Either way, 250K won't cut it.
If you have no debt and a COLA'd pension that exceeds the expenses of your desired lifestyle, it would...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Honestly, the list isn't that bad to model after the truely affluent - it tends to be considered gauche to draw much attention to the wealth. hence the disdain for "new money" people who tend to flaunt wealth, people raised wealthy tend to have nice but not showy things that are well used for a long time, show some appreciation for honest good service, and the discussion points are about things that aren't necessarily showy but are expensive experiences that are pursued to be enjoyed (food, wine) rather than shown off. The fundraisers are a way to combine experience hunting with both social payback to organizers and a means to support "good works". I'm not saying that all of the rich are like this by any means, but for families that manage to keep wealth and no go insane, it tends to be more way that they live.
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

This stuff has to be judged within the context of what is "normal". It is not normal to have $250K in investable assets. Anyone who does is by definition well-to-do or "affluent" relative to "normal" folks.

People have a tendency to view their own situation as normal. Almost every rich person I know doesn't consider themselves rich because they know someone who has more - notwithstanding the fact that 99% of the world's population has less.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #57

You guys are scaring the hell out of me if anyone thinks $250K is a having it made. We have a home worth approx $140K, paid for, and just getting ready to rent it out. Recently bought another home for cash for $205K and are in the process of renovating it for another $50k. It will be our main home. Still have another $250K in the bank. No debt, mega corp pension and SS and I'm scared to death that we will have some financial problems. I don't know what they might be but I'm worried. Some big health problem could change the whole complexion.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
This stuff has to be judged within the context of what is "normal". It is not normal to have $250K in investable assets. Anyone who does is by definition well-to-do or "affluent" relative to "normal" folks.
The conclusion I draw from that statement is that the people on this board are insane freaks.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
The conclusion I draw from that statement is that the people on this board are insane freaks.
It took you six years and over 1300 posts?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabourne View Post
I'm not saying that all of the rich are like this by any means, but for families that manage to keep wealth and no go insane, it tends to be more way that they live.
That's a big part of it as is mentioned often here, consistently living below your means results in an accumulation of wealth. A friend of DW's was over about a year ago just after I had bought the motorcycle and asked what the payments were on it. I told her "None. I wrote a check for it." She appeared astonished.

But at the same time, we eat most meals at home and don't travel much. In the last five years we've spent perhaps $500 on hotel rooms and that was visiting relatives during a series of moves. Some of our wooden furniture is 25+ years old and the rest was not all that pricey in the first place. We don't have cabinets of collectibles, Spode china or Waterford crystal or any of that stuff.

When the weather is good we go to local, state or federal parks (one has free concerts in the summer) we don't go to malls "for something to do" and... well, you get the idea.