Join Early Retirement Today

Is all the Indexing money making opportunities for stock picking?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Is all the Indexing money making opportunities for stock picking?

I'm just wondering, with all the money flowing into index funds and ETFs, is it creating opportunities to purchase individual stocks before their insertion into the indices?

For example, you think some stock is about to go into the S&P500, and knowing that tons of mutual funds and ETFs will be forced to purchase it, you buy it in advance and wait for all the buying pressure. And as the pressure pushes it up, you sell.

It seems like the current vogue of indexing and more and more cash sloshing into the market, it might make some good opportunities for the smaller more nimble investor.

Just a thought.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Is all the Indexing money making opportunities for stock picking?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
you think some stock is about to go into the S&P500,
If you knew this as a fact and bought the stock one minute before S&P announced that they were making a change to the index (something that they do from time to time) you could probably make a few bucks.

As has been mentioned her many times, market timing is generally a very risky venture.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olav23
For example, you think some stock is about to go into the S&P500, and knowing that tons of mutual funds and ETFs will be forced to purchase it, you buy it in advance and wait for all the buying pressure. And as the pressure pushes it up, you sell.
Sure, it's one of the legal versions of frontrunning.

The problem is that not every index fund announces the stocks to be added (or dropped!) sufficiently far in advance for you to beat the arbs. IIRC Russell used to announce their selections months in advance of adding the stock but even their selections jumped a couple percent within microseconds of the press release.

The reality is that the stocks were probably jumping days before the press release as the news inevitably leaked. Your trick would be to join the club that gets the early news, or to make educated guesses from their index criteria.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote