Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Is an Annuity a good way to get over a SWR of 5%?
Old 10-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
The longer you fear think you may live the later you should take SS.
Maybe I can put this another way.

If you know for absolute certainty that you will die before age 85, take your Social Security at age 62!

- Maybe that will help put things in perspective.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph
My custom simulation with taxes, 6% real return...
Is this perhaps a rather heroic assmumption?

Ha

Old 10-24-2006, 05:57 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

I always thought I would take SS at 62 and still may. Recently my wife was diagnosed with MS. That started me thinking about the health costs involved in the future. Now maybe 70 is a better plan. If her health costs exhausts our savings, at least my SS would be better. Lots of ways to look at this.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:57 PM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

Ha
"Assmumption"? Is this perhaps a CHP? Sorry Ha, don't mean to
make you the butt of jokes.

JG
Old 10-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
"Assmumption"? Is this perhaps a CHP? Sorry Ha, don't mean to
make you the butt of jokes.

JG
You are the master of puns!
Old 10-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
You are the master of puns!
Yes I am, and you have been punished enough.

JG
Old 10-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock
You guys are making my brain hurt...there are too many variables here: ROR, Longevity, Inflation, Taxes, SWR, personal goals, etc. I think this problem is way too complex to "talk out" a reliable solution.

Surely there is some powerful software available that can accurately model this problem?
Here... :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dart board.jpg (58.3 KB, 9 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb dart board.jpg_thumb (49.5 KB, 0 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:26 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

Ha
Heh, speak for yourself, Ha. Some of us venture out beyond TIPS once in a while.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Heh, speak for yourself, Ha. Some of us venture out beyond TIPS once in a while.
Including me. But I thouight that if one is going to take SS early he would likely stick to a very conservative path with that money. To gamble and win is great, to gamble and lose sucks. Even if the gambles are well informed.

Ha
Old 10-25-2006, 03:01 AM   #130
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to say, "Tell me when you are going to die and I will tell you when to start taking social security benefits." Now I realize that even that's not true. I don't want to optimize my benefits, I want to optimize my satisfaction. Tell me how much the 70 year old version of me will enjoy my 70 year old benefits as compared to the 62 year old version of me and I can begin to answer this question. Of course factors that contribute to the enjoyment of benefits question include: how much you have in investments, how much you spend annually, how long you are going to live, how healthy and active you will be, etc. . . .

This is not a deterministic problem.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:07 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
This has been my reaction to the annuity arguments as well. If you think in terms of investments (building a bigger pile for whatever reason - leave it to heirs, pay for assisted living in your 90s, etc.) annuities and delayed SS are not a good deal. If you think in terms of getting a larger safe income stream (e.g. with a 4% SWR you are barely able to cover your lifestyle) annuities and delayed SS can get you higher spendable income at the expense of a smaller estate.
boy of you look at the earlier discussions we had an annuties i have been saying this for sooooooo long. finally you guys are getting the point that annuties arent a bad thing.

it all depends on why you want them.

now lets think about taking ss later at 70 and utilizing an immeadiate annuity too.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:52 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
boy of you look at the earlier discussions we had an annuties i have been saying this for sooooooo long. finally you guys are getting the point that annuties arent a bad thing.

it all depends on why you want them.

now lets think about taking ss later at 70 and utilizing an immeadiate annuity too.
Immediate annuities can be wonderful things. The problem with every one I've seen is that they are poor investments. After being a poor investment, they are frequently not used/purchased correctly.

Every other annuity I've run across should be outlawed. I have never seen any reason why anyone would be better off buying them.

Social security is one annuity almost all of us have already bought. I beleive that for what I've put in (including employer contributions) it is also a poor investment and I would have been better off keeping my money. Unfortunately, that was not one of my choices. Since I've got it, the goal is to maximize the return.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:52 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Now I realize that even that's not true. I don't want to optimize my benefits, I want to optimize my satisfaction. Tell me how much the 70 year old version of me will enjoy my 70 year old benefits as compared to the 62 year old version of me and I can begin to answer this question.
This is exactly why you should delay your benefits to age 70. Because you get to spend more at age 62-70. If you don't have to be saddled with an SWR of 4% at age 62, because you know down the road that your benefit checks will cover you, you can optimize your satisfaction.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:57 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/delayret.htm

Notice that for those born later that the rate of increase in delaying SS after full retirement age is larger (per year) than for those born earlier.

If I remember correctly the benefit at 70 should be independent of which year you were born. Perhaps Martha (or someone else) knows more about this.
MB,

I have had a chance to look at the links you posted more carefully. I agree that the ratio of age 70 benefit to the age 62 benefit increases for those born later. The highest ratio would occur for those born in 1960 or later (full retirement age 67).

If we take a full benefit at age 67 = 100

The benefit at age 70 = 100 + 3 x 8 = 124 (from your second link)

The benefit at age 62 = 70 (from your first link)

The ratio = 124/70 = 1.77

This ia a 77% increase, not 82%
Old 10-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
Immediate annuities can be wonderful things. The problem with every one I've seen is that they are poor investments. After being a poor investment, they are frequently not used/purchased correctly.

Every other annuity I've run across should be outlawed. I have never seen any reason why anyone would be better off buying them.

Social security is one annuity almost all of us have already bought. I beleive that for what I've put in (including employer contributions) it is also a poor investment and I would have been better off keeping my money. Unfortunately, that was not one of my choices. Since I've got it, the goal is to maximize the return.
Well.............I could not disagree more............. I think immediate annuities are a crap shoot. Even with period certain, the IRR is less than 3%. $1000 a month now may not look so hot 10 years from now, when your medi-gap and LTC insurance have doubled...............

Albeit RARE instances, it is always better to have CONTROL............

And don't get me started about Social Security...........I'll be lucky to get any...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51
MB,

I have had a chance to look at the links you posted more carefully. I agree that the ratio of age 70 benefit to the age 62 benefit increases for those born later. The highest ratio would occur for those born in 1960 or later (full retirement age 67).

If we take a full benefit at age 67 = 100

The benefit at age 70 = 100 + 3 x 8 = 124 (from your second link)

The benefit at age 62 = 70 (from your first link)

The ratio = 124/70 = 1.77

This ia a 77% increase, not 82%
You are probably right. I just used the little SSA calculator to get my numbers. Perhaps I was in error.

Nonetheless the numbers are pretty close to what I posted, and the concept of delaying SS by spending down your nest-egg which is made-up for by the increased SS payment is still valid.

I haven't quite caffinated yet so I'm not going to jump into a discussion of the finer points on SS payouts just yet.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #137

Lets beat this thing to death and have even more fun with immediate annuities, social security and safe withdrawal rates...

From my example posted earlier in this thread the 70 year old person would get around $14260 extra SS at 70 versus retiring at 62.

So what is that payment stream worth ?

I played around with the Vanguard immediate annuity calculator http://www.aigretirementgold.com/vli...=RequestaQuote

So based on the Vanguard calculator for a 70 year old man getting that $14k immediate annuity payment per year adjusting the payment for (CPI) inflation each year I get a value of ~ $207392.

Now using my example of depleting your nest-egg with a 4% SWR I suggested that waiting until 70 years old to collect SS was worth more than $356k.

so, I believe that the waiting approach clearly comes out ahead.

- Any comments ??
Old 10-25-2006, 04:34 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
That is something almost everybody felt in the booming 90s. I always assumed the sentiment was probably right since I could, of course, expect to earn about 10%/yr if I invested my own funds. 8) But the reality is, we can expect quite a bit less after inflation. So I decided to run a *reasonable* earnings scenario against DW's SS statement (I was a Fed without SS so I can't use my own). DW has paid 30 years of SS at the maximum rate and is 54. I projected her first year of SS earnings backwards for 10 years to approximate where she would be with 40 years in right now (this actually overstates her contribution since SS didn't tax as much income going back those ten years). I calculated the "contribution" as 14% of SS earnings and calculated the ROR as 4% real/yr - a rate that seems fair to me based on everything I have heard around here. Under that scenario she would have $432,937 to invest in an annuity today. I guesstimated an annuity with survivor benefit for a 66 YO to pay 5%/yr. That would be $21,647 or $1804/mth. Her SS statement says she would get $2152/mth at 66 ($2852 at 70).

Could you do better -- sure. Would you do better? --
Old 10-25-2006, 05:06 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Well.............I could not disagree more............. I think immediate annuities are a crap shoot. Even with period certain, the IRR is less than 3%. $1000 a month now may not look so hot 10 years from now, when your medi-gap and LTC insurance have doubled...............

Albeit RARE instances, it is always better to have CONTROL............

And don't get me started about Social Security...........I'll be lucky to get any...............
Did you read my post? I said the idea of an immediate annuity is good concept but they don't make sense based on the poor IRR of all of the available products.

I also said that since we're stuck with SS we should attempt to maximixe its value.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
This is exactly why you should delay your benefits to age 70. Because you get to spend more at age 62-70. If you don't have to be saddled with an SWR of 4% at age 62, because you know down the road that your benefit checks will cover you, you can optimize your satisfaction.
Money is money CT. The key is that if the SS is safely growing at better than your SWR (or whatever) you are better off spending you own money and letting SS grow. If you die young, your heirs lose. If you deplete your capital, SS won't be enough to cover assisted living or nursing care.

People on the edge don't have a choice. Most people on this forum do.