Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #61
Dryer sheet wannabe

We keep 60% stocks, 40% bonds in the 5 years since retirement. Will start taking SS next June at full retirement age. At that point, will drop from 6% to 4% withdrawal rate. Have enough in Bond funds, that we could “manage” another 2008 disaster. I do find it thrilling to have 60% in stocks, but I do watch it closely 😂 My wife (retired teacher) got a boost when we dropped that expensive BCBS health insurance when we both just hit Medicare...hey, there has to be some perks to turning 65 !!

Joe1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am 66 and spouse is 71 with 100% of IRA's traded actively. These accounts including ROTH's make up roughly 1/3 of our savings, 1/3 is in cash, and 1/3 is in an brokerage account. The IRA's were all rolled over to TDAmerica Trade accounts which are traded aggressively with highly volatile stocks as with the normal brokerage account. Never more than 50% at a time never using margin and only when it is favorable otherwise we go to 100% cash. Because we over-planned and these accounts are unnecessary for our retirement as our pensions are far more than we needed we can be more fast and loose with these accounts. I doubt we will ever need to cash them in. The mandatory withdrawals just go into the normal brokerage account. We bail early with volatile stocks when it goes south then wait it out.

Old Microbiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:22 AM   #63
Confused about dryer sheets

53 next month. Plan to ER in two years. My AA is 75/25 @ Vanguard. I doubt I will be touching any of it for about ten years, or so, so it has time to weather the ups and downs of the market.
KrisQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Im 65 i have perhaps 25% cash equivalents 75 dividend stocks. It was my goal to get to 15% cash
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #65
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie Murphy View Post
I know that many make their AA their years of age in bond funds and the remaining percentage in stock funds. How many ignore this and stick with and aggressive growth strategy? Maybe there are even some 60+ still doing this. Just curious. Thank you.
I am 74 and 85 in Equity - 70 in US and 15 Intl) since this money will be for the kids. Regular IRA for living off of RMD is 75% Equities
jayanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

About 90/10 here and the 90% is full aggressive indexed low expense ratio. Been thinking about pruning this back as our risk profile changes as we age. Any market downturn will be a paper loss until it rebounds so having enough cash 💰 on hand is key for us to maintain our standard of living.
oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisQuit View Post
53 next month. Plan to ER in two years. My AA is 75/25 @ Vanguard. I doubt I will be touching any of it for about ten years, or so, so it has time to weather the ups and downs of the market.
Umm... what will you live on between ER and "about ten years"?
LarryMelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #68
Dryer sheet wannabe

age 58....45/55 cash. Cash better than bonds for our situation. Non Cola pension will cover 50-75% of expenses until SS starts
Mountain skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie Murphy View Post
I know that many make their AA their years of age in bond funds and the remaining percentage in stock funds. How many ignore this and stick with and aggressive growth strategy? Maybe there are even some 60+ still doing this. Just curious. Thank you.
You might be interested in this thread and poll I started 2 years ago. 75% do not use an age based and almost none do their age in bonds, so your premise is wrong, at least based on that sampling. And it certainly doesn't mean that the only option besides age in bonds is a more aggressive growth strategy.

Age based AA poll
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Age 81
Totally in equities
Our basic expenses are covered by SS and small pensions.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
Umm... what will you live on between ER and "about ten years"?

Valid question. I have a healthy taxable account I wasn’t counting in this (as I view it simply as savings), normal savings, and a retired spouse whose money I wasn’t counting in this at all.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Valid question. I have a healthy taxable account I wasn’t counting in this (as I view it simply as savings), normal savings, and a retired spouse whose money I wasn’t counting in this at all.

I count ALL of that as part of my stash, as it should be. That money is just as spendable as dedicated retirement savings.
GenXguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
I count ALL of that as part of my stash, as it should be. That money is just as spendable as dedicated retirement savings.
Sorry. Didn't realize there were rules. I count my money the way it works for me. Back to lurking.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Sorry. Didn't realize there were rules. I count my money the way it works for me. Back to lurking.
Please don't stay in the shadows. I - and probably others - figured that you had money in a taxable account to rely on.

And if anyone wants to nitpick, the thread title did specifically ask about an IRA (and probably including retirement accounts in general). Though the question is equally valid for taxable accounts as well.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

It's not a rule, it's just more of a standard when people are talking about the 4% rule and their AA. People talk about their stash or net worth in these discussions, and they include their brokerage, savings, checking, etc. Sorry if I offended.

The OP did state IRA, but for many people, an IRA is just a small part of their retirement stash to be lived off of in retirement. I have a Roth IRA but about 5 times as much in my 457/401 accounts, and then double that in my brokerage/savings accounts. My 43% in equities is across all of those.

GenXguy is online now   Reply With Quote