Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We are seriously considering a move "Back to our Original Home" in the next few years also. Then HC will be one thing less to worry about.
We have been hitting it fairly hard since we got back especially this last 2 months, with mole incisions (me), cataract surgery (DW) and AFIB treatment and surgery (me). It isnít why we moved but it is a nice expense not to have. Our taxes are higher but are dwarfed by what we used to pay in HC, and it is a lot easier to plan for taxes in a budget than it is for HC costs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We have been hitting it fairly hard since we got back especially this last 2 months, with mole incisions (me), cataract surgery (DW) and AFIB treatment and surgery (me). It isnít why we moved but it is a nice expense not to have. Our taxes are higher but are dwarfed by what we used to pay in HC, and it is a lot easier to plan for taxes in a budget than it is for HC costs.
Are both of you UK Citizens? I am but will have to apply for a Spousal Visa for DW.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Are both of you UK Citizens? I am but will have to apply for a Spousal Visa for DW.
We are both dual UK/US citizens. But letís stick to the original thread topic of working to hang onto health insurance.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCat View Post
Thatís just too funny to pass up. USGrant are you kidding me? You must have a nice retirement medical plan keeping you well cared for. I worked 30 years as a fireman in a large metropolitan Fire Dept. I and my beautiful wife retired from nursing early knowing there were no affordable options for us as we donít have any retirement medical. Oh I could have signed up for the cityís retirement medical plan at $2100 per month but that amounts to over third of our retirement income with high deductibles. Or the ACA with maybe an $18000 premium with $5000 deductibles for each of us. Still I count myself lucky that we are able to find insurance that is affordable. How you might ask. The catch is we have to live or travel outside the US for 180 days or more. We get very good coverage outside or inside the US with a reasonable $1000 deductible. Our total premium for both of us is only $3200 per year. Now thatís affordable. To say that we donít have a huge healthcare problem with runaway costs ripping off all of us, both those who have healthcare through an employer or otherwise is putting your head in the sand. We feel fortunate that we have the means to travel outside the US and the desire because we have no options for affordable healthcare otherwise.

Peace
FireCat, what type of insurance is this?

[So if I traveled to Canada and parts of Mexico/South America I could get this low cost health insurance? (I just have to be out of the US for 180 days a year?)]

Sorry if others know about this. This is new info to me. We are currently on an ACA bronze plan. But it's $875/month. It will go up as we get older.

Currently looking for a job to cover health insurance. And there aren't many (if any) part-time jobs out there that offer health insurance where I'm currently living.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
From recent history, we have seen that the ACA marketplace has produced better results in some regions/types of areas than others, so it wouldn't be possible to give a guess about the future that applies everywhere ("Don't worry, you'll find cheap coverage and it will be great!" or "Worry! This thing is falling apart and no one will be spared!")
This is a very important point. Each state has an insurance commission that regulates health care insurance, and many of the differences in policy options and availability among the states is the result of their differing approaches.
Is anyone here still working only for health insurance benefits?
Old 10-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is anyone here still working only for health insurance benefits?

Iím paying around $200/mo for medical ($300 or $500 annual deductible, I canít recall offhand...) and basic dental, available as a retiree for Acme, Inc.

Based on numbers posted here, and the anecdotes of friends, Iím getting a sizable chunk of tax-free benefit. Seemingly unfair, but Iíll take it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I would walk out the door tomorrow if I thought I had a solid, reliable option for HC. Maybe I need to sharpen the pencil and crunch some hard ACA numbers and just go for it.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geld ist Freiheit View Post
I would walk out the door tomorrow if I thought I had a solid, reliable option for HC. Maybe I need to sharpen the pencil and crunch some hard ACA numbers and just go for it.
well you do get cobra for 18 months....
Old 10-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #49

We are very fortunate. I earned Tricare through my service in the army. I'm on that now. DW is on Tricare for Life (is wraparound after Medicare).

Because DW is a few years my senior, We have to pay for Medicare for her - both A and B. A PITA, but only for a few quarters.

Sadly, without Tricare, my ass would still be at the gristmill pretending I give a sh!t.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

No.

Although employer healthcare is a consideration. I will say back when the ACA came in, my employer at the time got the most horrific health plan under the sun. The deductible was huge, it was basically for catastrophic care. The excuse from the employer was that costs had sky rocketed. A few of the employees were taking their kids to the doctor, but not themselves. A lot of medical care providers wouldn't even take it. A few of the single mom's had their kids on a NYS plan subsidized plan, so those kids got good coverage and dental. One of the partner's kid got cancer and there was a fund raiser for him. (I don't work there anymore, so I don't know if the plan improved.)

No.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #51

I worked because my late wife was brain injured and I had to keep her covered.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #52

Thanks for the interesting discussion.