Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never have bought ACare with all the many purchases. Don't think I've ever had a need for it, physical wise. Did have a hard drive on an iMac crap out a month before warranty expired. I have used the tech services WELL beyond time when ACare kicks in, and they still answer and work with me for up to hours to resolve issues. I asked at the A store last week and she told me yes, you always can access the AppleCare assistance, having paid for it just puts you front of the que. I can wait.

I did lose my iPhone once, and about six weeks later got a call from local A store. Someone turned it in but of course no one but apple could figure out who it belonged to. After answering questions they gave it to me. With all the security on them does a lost Phone have any value to anyone? Anyway, since then I have a piece of paper in my phone protector case, you can see it in there but unless remove case can't read it. I have my home address, phone, emergency contacts on it. It's also sort of my ID when I'm biking in woods if I'm found with a broken neck.

H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #22

Speaking of extended warranties, yesterday I bought a new office chair for the home. It has a mesh back and the salesman started pressuring me for the "protection plan," saying that after a year all mesh back chairs start to come apart. I affected a look of shock and alarm, and told him that if that was the case then I wasn't sure I should buy it at all.

It was amazing how fast he started backpedaling!

GalaxyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #23

I spent time in the industry. Contracts are high margin business. At the retail level often the margin dollars on contracts can exceed the margin dollars on the product (same for cables) itself. Sales folks are heavily invented to sell them.

It is why some large retailers sell their own extended warranty contracts instead of vendor contracts. We never buy them. But, the last two cellphones that we bought two years ago were $100 and $250 respectively

My ten year old desktop is still running just fine. I bought it as a refurb unit from Best Buy. It came with a 90 day warranty. The price was better that I could get with my employers employee discount. It really was not a refurb unit, just a blow out positioned as such so as not to upset the market. The rep tried unsuccessfully to sell me me a 3 year extended warranty. Why? He probably made $5 commission on the desktop but would have made $30 commission on the extended warranty contract.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:04 AM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

I've purchased some AppleCare in the past but decided a few years ago to just use a credit card that provided extended warranty protection. I haven't had a need to use it yet but that's been my approach.

As someone else said earlier in the thread, if you're careful with your phone then I don't think it's needed. If you're the type that drops your phone frequently, then it may not be a bad idea. For kids, I'd think you may want it.
ndlex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:22 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

AppleCare comes with all brand new Apple products for free.

AppleCare Plus isn’t only an extended warranty. It’s also accident insurance that covers two incidents of repair or replacement in cases like dropping and breaking or water damage. And there is a deductible.

Quote:
AppleCare+ includes regular AppleCare, but on top of that, you get an extra year of warranty coverage (an extra two years for Macs), two years of free phone support (one year extra for Macs), and accidental damage coverage (except for the Apple TV).
So a credit card extended warranty isn’t going to supply the accident coverage.

You simply have to decide whether you want accident coverage.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

For our 2 college students we purchased this insurance and it turned out to be well worth it. Replaced probably 4 iPhones and fixed a mac pro after coke was spilled on the keyboard ($400 fix).

https://www.nssi.com/individual-quote/
capjak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #27

I decided to join the 21st century today and ordered the 7th generation iPad (my first!) announced at todayís Apple event. AppleCare+ was offered but I declined, especially at the price point for the hardware and my expected use of it.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
The best purchase Iíve made with my mobile Apple devices has been really solid cases with screen protection.
I LOVE my Otter case! I just bought a new iPhone 8, replacing my 5s, which appears brand-new since it's always in the case. I'll be selling the old one for whatever I can get.

The 5s is still running strong after 5+ years but some of the apps are no longer supported and I'm running out of storage. Given that experience, I didn't go for the AppleCare Plus.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I decided to join the 21st century today and ordered the 7th generation iPad (my first!) announced at todayís Apple event. AppleCare+ was offered but I declined, especially at the price point for the hardware and my expected use of it.
Welcome to the modern world.

To update my situation, Iíve dropped my iPhone at least 6 times from 3 feet or more, twice onto hard floor. I have RA and diminished sensitivity in my fingers, so lots of dropping things. My phone needs protection, not insurance, and the case has worked so far. Just to be safe, I got a more durable case.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I LOVE my Otter case! I just bought a new iPhone 8, replacing my 5s, which appears brand-new since it's always in the case. I'll be selling the old one for whatever I can get.

The 5s is still running strong after 5+ years but some of the apps are no longer supported and I'm running out of storage. Given that experience, I didn't go for the AppleCare Plus.

Whoa! I could have written that. My Otterbox Defender is still defending my 5s. I may try to breathe a little life back in the 5s (new battery). I was glad to see the 8 still in Appleís lineup and will go that way if necessary. First I have the iPad to get friendly with.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Welcome to the modern world.

Thanks! On the positive side, I seem to have escaped what sounded like really annoying pop ups that were plaguing iPadsters.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Just to be clear - AppleCare is included with Apple products you purchase, and you can lengthen the time depending on the credit card you use to make the purchase.

AppleCare+ is the extra option you can purchase at time of sale, and it doubles the warranty period plus covers 2 incidents of accidental damage for a small fee per incident. It's that latter that some folks may find attractive.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:29 AM   #33

I buy iPhones on the upgrade program which requires Apple Care + - $199 for two years. On the non-damage repair part it doesn't really do much the first year, but extends the warranty for a second year (if you keep the phone).

It does cover 2 episodes of damage. For an extra $50 or so a year you can get protection against theft/loss. Last year, the phone I bought was $1250. This year's phone is $1000.

Repairing the screen for $29 instead of $229 is definitely preferable. Basically if I keep the phone for 1 year and replace the screen once I am out $129 as opposed to $229. Of course, I don't always have to replace a screen (I have replaced two in the past). But, the big ticket item is if you have other damage, particularly to the glass on the back of the phone. That costs $550 to replace! It is $99 with Apple Care +.

As for loss and theft, my son lost an iPhone X last year. Yes, I know that is fairly rare nowadays but it happened. And he just had to keep paying for it as he bought it before you had coverage for phone loss. He now has coverage for phone loss on his new phone.

I sprang for the extra $50 a year when I get my last phone. $1250 is a lot of money. I guess I could self insure but this was a situation where I just felt it made sense at least for the more expensive, newer phones. I would pay for it on an older phone.

But, it is a close call for sure.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #34

I'm still trying to figure out how AppleCare (both regular and plus) works overseas. Mexico so far has exactly ONE Apple Store, but lots of authorized service centers. Until I can verify that AC will work here, I have little incentive to buy anything extra.

The wife recently fell and smashed her phone screen. Local shop replaced it in two hours for about $35 US.

Life's too short to spend too much time here...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how AppleCare (both regular and plus) works overseas. Mexico so far has exactly ONE Apple Store, but lots of authorized service centers. Until I can verify that AC will work here, I have little incentive to buy anything extra.

The wife recently fell and smashed her phone screen. Local shop replaced it in two hours for about $35 US.
Iím pretty sure any warranty is limited to the country of purchase.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Iím pretty sure any warranty is limited to the country of purchase.

Not at all - Iíve bought Apple phones in the US and had them repaired/replaced in Hong Kong, bought Apple watches in Hong Kong and had them repaired in London. Iíve walked into a Genius Bar (sic) in Tokyo and gotten free advice on a covered iPhone. Apple is very good about the world wide coverage
Dd852 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

IME active apple factory coverage follows & covers the product ID number sold not its owner.

As with autos dealers, apple stores themselves sub-out a majority of their repairs so finding a local private shop saves on repairs not covered. IME.

Good luck!
Old Yesterday, 04:55 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd852 View Post
Not at all - Iíve bought Apple phones in the US and had them repaired/replaced in Hong Kong, bought Apple watches in Hong Kong and had them repaired in London. Iíve walked into a Genius Bar (sic) in Tokyo and gotten free advice on a covered iPhone. Apple is very good about the world wide coverage
That's interesting. My brother who lives in Europe has had a different experience.