Is AppleCare Plus really a good deal?

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We have 2 new iPhones, and there was a considerable effort to sell AppleCare Plus or the Verizon equivalent, first at Best Buy and then by Verizon. When I look at the numbers, it just doesn't look like a good deal, but others here buy it, and I'm wondering if I might be missing something.

Basic AppleCare plus is $149, upgraded with theft and loss $249, both per phone. Deductible for accidental damage is $99, deductible for loss is $229.

So, one incident of accidental damage costs $397 (2@149+99). With the upgraded policy, one lost phone costs $727 (2@249+229). The phones cost $650 each. My credit card gives one additional year of warranty and 120 days of theft and damage.

With two phones, it seems to make sense to self-insure. The possibility of damage is lessened somewhat using protective cases, and the likelihood of loss is somewhat reduced by using the iPhone "find my phone" function. The phones now have some protection against getting wet. So, it looks like AppleCare + with theft and loss really is of benefit when there are multiple incidents.

I make it a policy to refuse any extended warranties. I figure the cost of a warranty that’s roughly 25% the cost of a product isn’t a good deal. Adding up all the various extended warranties I’ve not bought over the years, I’ve come out way ahead, even including the time I dropped my first iPad 31 days after purchase. :(

With DS heading off to college in a month he got an iPhone and MacBook recently. We looked long and hard at the Apple Care options for both, reading all the fine print. For the phone, we came to the same conclusion as you. The premium + deductible don’t provide that much economic benefit. So instead we got a quality case and we’ll hope for the best. DS will pay for repairs/replacement if needed.

For the MacBook, Apple Care was also expensive, IIRC $259 for 2 years additional warranty that included restrictions. We ended up getting a $60/year Personal Articles policy from State Farm that covers full replacement value for any damage (even a coffee spill) or theft.

Apple wants you to think their insurance is the best option...

I've never lost or had a phone stolen so I wouldn't care about that coverage. I think we get basic AppleCare only so we can make the little Apple "geniuses" deal with us on occasion (like when DH thought his Macbook had the "blue screen of death" virus and was ready yo pay scammers to "fix" it), but we probably could skip that too.

With few exceptions, we typically refuse all extended warranties. In the case of Apple products, our experience if that the half-life of any product is 2-3 yrs, at which point we'll probably start looking to upgrade to more current technology. Our iPhones last 4-5 years, and our iPads about the same before they start to have problems. YMMV.

Over the years with various iPhones, I've come out ahead by buying the AppleCare+ but that's mainly because I'm a clumsy oaf who breaks things. I would have been satisfied even if I had merely broken even, just for the peace of mind.

OTOH, it would be a waste to get it for DW who is much more careful with her phone.

The best purchase I’ve made with my mobile Apple devices has been really solid cases with screen protection.

I always buy apple care with my phones laptops and watches. It has absolutely been worth it on the phones and computers. It was a waste on the watches

My first question would be: How many devices have you lost, broken, or had stolen? The answer for me is "never" - not enough a cracked screen. I'm on my fifth iPhone and always decline their coverage.

Also, if you purchase the device with a credit card, your card issuer may provide insurance as one of the card benefits.

Many, many, many moons ago, I bought an Apple Care warranty for a computer. The contract came with a nice magnet I could put on the fridge. Well, for about $200, at least I got a good magnet out of the deal since I never used the extended warranty.

However, in full disclosure, I still have a few years on a couple of Square Trade contracts on a couple of cameras (mainly, in case if I fumble and drop the cameras).

Other than that, I really don't believe in extended warranties :popcorn:.

Many, many, many moons ago, I bought an Apple Care warranty for a computer. The contract came with a nice magnet I could put on the fridge. Well, for about $200, at least I got a good magnet out of the deal since I never used the extended warranty.

However, in full disclosure, I still have a few years on a couple of Square Trade contracts on a couple of cameras (mainly, in case if I fumble and drop the cameras).

Other than that, I really don't believe in extended warranties :popcorn:.

For the most part, we avoid extended warranties. Yeah, got burned a few times, but saved far more by not buying them. I consider extended warrantee's to be insurance, and I can afford to self insure for these items.

Current iPhone is 3.5 years old (bought it when i retired). Got a good case and a "glass" screen cover. If it breaks, I'll replace it. If not, I could keep it another few years.

My problem with Apple is they stop supporting older products. As I understand, my iPhone 6 will NOT be supported by the next OS to roll out in the fall :mad::mad:

So, next go around, could be a different phone. I don't want to learn a new OS (which is what they are banking on), but I might.

If you are clumsy and prone to loosing the device it might be worth it. Otherwise it’s not a good return on the cost involved..

There is always an exception...

A few years ago I purchased an extended warranty on a Canon camera since my previous model crapped out on me before it should have. Same thing happened to me on the new one 18 months into the contract. Got it repaired for free. A year later it got jammed up again after warranty expired. The cost to fix was not worth it so that was the end of my relationship with Canon!

We usually buy it since it covers 2 incidents of accidental damage including water damage.

I bought one for my iPad mini. A little over a year later it accidentally fell on a tile floor cracking the screen into several pieces. Actually, the dang thing fell right out of the case!

They sent me a new iPad mini for $75.

But I’ve rarely had trouble with phones or laptops, so who knows.....

For a $650 phone, it may not be worth it. For a $1K+ iPhone, I’d say yes. After water damage on my 6, got a replacement for $99. Even the water-resistant iPhone XS Max are not waterproof, and if you get water in the phone , it’s not covered under the standard warranty, but with accidental coverage, it is. With new iPhones being constructed of glass on two sides, and them not being very water resistant, it might be wise to get for more expensive phones.

Another vote for self-insuring. YMMV, but I am very careful with my things and I'm not prone to dropping things...I'm also the one whose paperback books look brand new because I would NEVER bend the spine back or even dogear a page! If self-insuring were worth it on average, the companies would have dropped the programs after the first losing quarter or two. They are obviously making money on it, meaning on average consumers spend more on these programs than the companies do on repairs. But if you tend to have more problems than average, it might be worth it, of course.

We have 2 new iPhones, and there was a considerable effort to sell AppleCare Plus or the Verizon equivalent, first at Best Buy and then by Verizon. When I look at the numbers, it just doesn't look like a good deal, but others here buy it, and I'm wondering if I might be missing something.

Basic AppleCare plus is $149, upgraded with theft and loss $249, both per phone. Deductible for accidental damage is $99, deductible for loss is $229.

So, one incident of accidental damage costs $397 (2@149+99). With the upgraded policy, one lost phone costs $727 (2@249+229). The phones cost $650 each. My credit card gives one additional year of warranty and 120 days of theft and damage.

With two phones, it seems to make sense to self-insure. The possibility of damage is lessened somewhat using protective cases, and the likelihood of loss is somewhat reduced by using the iPhone "find my phone" function. The phones now have some protection against getting wet. So, it looks like AppleCare + with theft and loss really is of benefit when there are multiple incidents.

we didn't take either the AppleCare or Verizon insurance when we bought two new iphone 7's a couple of years ago. i also chose not to self-insure as well instead picking up a pair of inexpensive policies from SquareTrade. i've used them for years to insure electronics. had one claim several years ago on a now forgotten piece but they paid off. no sweat, EZ Peasy.

New or used I only spend $200 on phones...no problem replacing them at that price point if they get lost or broken.

Looking at my kids iPhones they seem a whole lot more fragile than my Android...need bulkier cases to keep them safe.

Good feedback, I'll check squaretrade.

I think I'd be more likely to get insurance if there was a policy that covered all our mobile devices, but when each one is independent the cost to all the devices is high.

The "considerable effort to sell" should give you your answer.

Never have bought ACare with all the many purchases. Don't think I've ever had a need for it, physical wise. Did have a hard drive on an iMac crap out a month before warranty expired. I have used the tech services WELL beyond time when ACare kicks in, and they still answer and work with me for up to hours to resolve issues. I asked at the A store last week and she told me yes, you always can access the AppleCare assistance, having paid for it just puts you front of the que. I can wait.

I did lose my iPhone once, and about six weeks later got a call from local A store. Someone turned it in but of course no one but apple could figure out who it belonged to. After answering questions they gave it to me. With all the security on them does a lost Phone have any value to anyone? Anyway, since then I have a piece of paper in my phone protector case, you can see it in there but unless remove case can't read it. I have my home address, phone, emergency contacts on it. It's also sort of my ID when I'm biking in woods if I'm found with a broken neck.

Speaking of extended warranties, yesterday I bought a new office chair for the home. It has a mesh back and the salesman started pressuring me for the "protection plan," saying that after a year all mesh back chairs start to come apart. I affected a look of shock and alarm, and told him that if that was the case then I wasn't sure I should buy it at all. >:D

It was amazing how fast he started backpedaling! :D

I spent time in the industry. Contracts are high margin business. At the retail level often the margin dollars on contracts can exceed the margin dollars on the product (same for cables) itself. Sales folks are heavily invented to sell them.

It is why some large retailers sell their own extended warranty contracts instead of vendor contracts. We never buy them. But, the last two cellphones that we bought two years ago were $100 and $250 respectively

My ten year old desktop is still running just fine. I bought it as a refurb unit from Best Buy. It came with a 90 day warranty. The price was better that I could get with my employers employee discount. It really was not a refurb unit, just a blow out positioned as such so as not to upset the market. The rep tried unsuccessfully to sell me me a 3 year extended warranty. Why? He probably made $5 commission on the desktop but would have made $30 commission on the extended warranty contract.

Last edited:
I've purchased some AppleCare in the past but decided a few years ago to just use a credit card that provided extended warranty protection. I haven't had a need to use it yet but that's been my approach.

As someone else said earlier in the thread, if you're careful with your phone then I don't think it's needed. If you're the type that drops your phone frequently, then it may not be a bad idea. For kids, I'd think you may want it.

AppleCare comes with all brand new Apple products for free.

AppleCare Plus isn’t only an extended warranty. It’s also accident insurance that covers two incidents of repair or replacement in cases like dropping and breaking or water damage. And there is a deductible.

AppleCare+ includes regular AppleCare, but on top of that, you get an extra year of warranty coverage (an extra two years for Macs), two years of free phone support (one year extra for Macs), and accidental damage coverage (except for the Apple TV).

So a credit card extended warranty isn’t going to supply the accident coverage.

You simply have to decide whether you want accident coverage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom