Join Early Retirement Today

Is AppleCare Plus really a good deal?
Old 08-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
Administrator

Is AppleCare Plus really a good deal?

We have 2 new iPhones, and there was a considerable effort to sell AppleCare Plus or the Verizon equivalent, first at Best Buy and then by Verizon. When I look at the numbers, it just doesn't look like a good deal, but others here buy it, and I'm wondering if I might be missing something.

Basic AppleCare plus is $149, upgraded with theft and loss $249, both per phone. Deductible for accidental damage is $99, deductible for loss is $229.

So, one incident of accidental damage costs $397 (2@149+99). With the upgraded policy, one lost phone costs $727 (2@249+229). The phones cost $650 each. My credit card gives one additional year of warranty and 120 days of theft and damage.

With two phones, it seems to make sense to self-insure. The possibility of damage is lessened somewhat using protective cases, and the likelihood of loss is somewhat reduced by using the iPhone "find my phone" function. The phones now have some protection against getting wet. So, it looks like AppleCare + with theft and loss really is of benefit when there are multiple incidents.

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I make it a policy to refuse any extended warranties. I figure the cost of a warranty thatís roughly 25% the cost of a product isnít a good deal. Adding up all the various extended warranties Iíve not bought over the years, Iíve come out way ahead, even including the time I dropped my first iPad 31 days after purchase.

GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

With DS heading off to college in a month he got an iPhone and MacBook recently. We looked long and hard at the Apple Care options for both, reading all the fine print. For the phone, we came to the same conclusion as you. The premium + deductible donít provide that much economic benefit. So instead we got a quality case and weíll hope for the best. DS will pay for repairs/replacement if needed.

For the MacBook, Apple Care was also expensive, IIRC $259 for 2 years additional warranty that included restrictions. We ended up getting a $60/year Personal Articles policy from State Farm that covers full replacement value for any damage (even a coffee spill) or theft.

Apple wants you to think their insurance is the best option...
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've never lost or had a phone stolen so I wouldn't care about that coverage. I think we get basic AppleCare only so we can make the little Apple "geniuses" deal with us on occasion (like when DH thought his Macbook had the "blue screen of death" virus and was ready yo pay scammers to "fix" it), but we probably could skip that too.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

With few exceptions, we typically refuse all extended warranties. In the case of Apple products, our experience if that the half-life of any product is 2-3 yrs, at which point we'll probably start looking to upgrade to more current technology. Our iPhones last 4-5 years, and our iPads about the same before they start to have problems. YMMV.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Over the years with various iPhones, I've come out ahead by buying the AppleCare+ but that's mainly because I'm a clumsy oaf who breaks things. I would have been satisfied even if I had merely broken even, just for the peace of mind.

OTOH, it would be a waste to get it for DW who is much more careful with her phone.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #7

The best purchase Iíve made with my mobile Apple devices has been really solid cases with screen protection.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I always buy apple care with my phones laptops and watches. It has absolutely been worth it on the phones and computers. It was a waste on the watches
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

My first question would be: How many devices have you lost, broken, or had stolen? The answer for me is "never" - not enough a cracked screen. I'm on my fifth iPhone and always decline their coverage.

Also, if you purchase the device with a credit card, your card issuer may provide insurance as one of the card benefits.
CoolRich59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many, many, many moons ago, I bought an Apple Care warranty for a computer. The contract came with a nice magnet I could put on the fridge. Well, for about $200, at least I got a good magnet out of the deal since I never used the extended warranty.

However, in full disclosure, I still have a few years on a couple of Square Trade contracts on a couple of cameras (mainly, in case if I fumble and drop the cameras).

Other than that, I really don't believe in extended warranties .
Old 08-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Many, many, many moons ago, I bought an Apple Care warranty for a computer. The contract came with a nice magnet I could put on the fridge. Well, for about $200, at least I got a good magnet out of the deal since I never used the extended warranty.

However, in full disclosure, I still have a few years on a couple of Square Trade contracts on a couple of cameras (mainly, in case if I fumble and drop the cameras).

Other than that, I really don't believe in extended warranties .
For the most part, we avoid extended warranties. Yeah, got burned a few times, but saved far more by not buying them. I consider extended warrantee's to be insurance, and I can afford to self insure for these items.

Current iPhone is 3.5 years old (bought it when i retired). Got a good case and a "glass" screen cover. If it breaks, I'll replace it. If not, I could keep it another few years.

My problem with Apple is they stop supporting older products. As I understand, my iPhone 6 will NOT be supported by the next OS to roll out in the fall

So, next go around, could be a different phone. I don't want to learn a new OS (which is what they are banking on), but I might.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

If you are clumsy and prone to loosing the device it might be worth it. Otherwise itís not a good return on the cost involved..

There is always an exception...

A few years ago I purchased an extended warranty on a Canon camera since my previous model crapped out on me before it should have. Same thing happened to me on the new one 18 months into the contract. Got it repaired for free. A year later it got jammed up again after warranty expired. The cost to fix was not worth it so that was the end of my relationship with Canon!
Scubamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We usually buy it since it covers 2 incidents of accidental damage including water damage.

I bought one for my iPad mini. A little over a year later it accidentally fell on a tile floor cracking the screen into several pieces. Actually, the dang thing fell right out of the case!

They sent me a new iPad mini for $75.

But I’ve rarely had trouble with phones or laptops, so who knows.....
Old 08-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #14

For a $650 phone, it may not be worth it. For a $1K+ iPhone, Iíd say yes. After water damage on my 6, got a replacement for $99. Even the water-resistant iPhone XS Max are not waterproof, and if you get water in the phone , itís not covered under the standard warranty, but with accidental coverage, it is. With new iPhones being constructed of glass on two sides, and them not being very water resistant, it might be wise to get for more expensive phones.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another vote for self-insuring. YMMV, but I am very careful with my things and I'm not prone to dropping things...I'm also the one whose paperback books look brand new because I would NEVER bend the spine back or even dogear a page! If self-insuring were worth it on average, the companies would have dropped the programs after the first losing quarter or two. They are obviously making money on it, meaning on average consumers spend more on these programs than the companies do on repairs. But if you tend to have more problems than average, it might be worth it, of course.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #16

Check out Squaretrade.com.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We have 2 new iPhones, and there was a considerable effort to sell AppleCare Plus or the Verizon equivalent, first at Best Buy and then by Verizon. When I look at the numbers, it just doesn't look like a good deal, but others here buy it, and I'm wondering if I might be missing something.

Basic AppleCare plus is $149, upgraded with theft and loss $249, both per phone. Deductible for accidental damage is $99, deductible for loss is $229.

So, one incident of accidental damage costs $397 (2@149+99). With the upgraded policy, one lost phone costs $727 (2@249+229). The phones cost $650 each. My credit card gives one additional year of warranty and 120 days of theft and damage.

With two phones, it seems to make sense to self-insure. The possibility of damage is lessened somewhat using protective cases, and the likelihood of loss is somewhat reduced by using the iPhone "find my phone" function. The phones now have some protection against getting wet. So, it looks like AppleCare + with theft and loss really is of benefit when there are multiple incidents.
we didn't take either the AppleCare or Verizon insurance when we bought two new iphone 7's a couple of years ago. i also chose not to self-insure as well instead picking up a pair of inexpensive policies from SquareTrade. i've used them for years to insure electronics. had one claim several years ago on a now forgotten piece but they paid off. no sweat, EZ Peasy.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #18

New or used I only spend $200 on phones...no problem replacing them at that price point if they get lost or broken.

Looking at my kids iPhones they seem a whole lot more fragile than my Android...need bulkier cases to keep them safe.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #19
Administrator

Good feedback, I'll check squaretrade.

I think I'd be more likely to get insurance if there was a policy that covered all our mobile devices, but when each one is independent the cost to all the devices is high.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:47 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The "considerable effort to sell" should give you your answer.