Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
I'm pretty sure landlords still pay property tax, and build that into their calculations when setting the rent...
Rent is set by what the market will accept, unless you are talking about rent-controlled areas like NYC. Taxes are irrelevant in a landlord's offer.

Grew up not far from Detroit. Dallas and Detroit are apples and oranges.

HawkeyeNFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Rent is set by what the market will accept, unless you are talking about rent-controlled areas like NYC.

As property taxes go up, rents must go up too. But rents are a function of wages, and if wages do not go up, and property taxes do, then property values go down. Of course, property taxes may not go down down just because valuations are lowered.

It works the same way with interest rates. When rates go up, payments go up, and rents may or may not go up. If wages go up along with interest rates, rents go up too.

At some point, property values could fall, just as they did in 2008. Regardless of what the root causes were, it boiled down to property values (i.e. payments) in excess of what a person could pay. Cash buyers were king, and they made a TON of money.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
I'm pretty sure landlords still pay property tax, and build that into their calculations when setting the rent...
I am aware of that. What I am saying moving for renter is relatively trivial compared to owner.

Renter does not pay 6% commision for this privilege.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
I am aware of that. What I am saying moving for renter is relatively trivial compared to owner.

Renter does not pay 6% commision for this privilege.
The renter also doesn't pay any of the other closing costs for buying/selling a home.. one study I read years ago said the costs to sell a home and buy another home of equivalent value ranged from ~7-11% of the home's value, with cheaper homes costing more as a result of some fixed cost items being a larger share of the home value, and most "average" priced houses ran around 10%. That's a huge hit for many people and one of the reasons I'm glad real estate agents are starting to move towards flat fee services and away from "we're taking a percentage of your home value" pricing structures (albeit much slower than I wish they would).
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Grumble Grumble.... Our property taxes are 2.5% of the market value, and State income tax is now "down" to 3.75%. A total of 6.25%

And Chicago is famous for deep dish pizza and being the murder capital of the country

Maybe we should pay less.
We have a lot of murders and good food here too. But do you have decades old potholes big enough to swallow a truck? If so, then I'm convinced. You deserve a break.
100% retired since 2009 and never plan to work for anybody ever again, paid or not. Retirement funded by Social Security, mini-pension, and investments (AA 45:55, mostly Vanguard). Debt free with no mortgage and over-the-moon happy to be retired.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But do you have decades old potholes big enough to swallow a truck?
Ours aren't that old, but are real killers: Deputy killed, 2 people injured when San Antonio sinkhole swallows 2 cars

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post

I agree that Detroit and Dallas have many differences. But this may be the next step in the pension problems we will see going forward.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I know I will get flamed from the LEO and if we have any firefighters who are here...

But, why are these two pensions so untouchable
Don't know about Texas but in NY you have to throw teachers into the above statement.

They are referred to as the "Holy Trinity" of unions.
No politician can get elected up here without them.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing for sure, the war on savers err... low interest rate environment has really beat up pension funds along with the average saver.

At least we can take solace in the fact that the rich and powerful banks have made a ton of money as wealth has been transferred from savers/pension funds/etc. to the banks.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
One thing for sure, the war on savers err... low interest rate environment has really beat up pension funds along with the average saver.

At least we can take solace in the fact that the rich and powerful banks have made a ton of money as wealth has been transferred from savers/pension funds/etc. to the banks.
Well I doubt Banks profit from Low interest rates.

It is more like Consumers and firms wishing to borrow, Government debt and equity owners are people/institutions who benefit from it. BTW this is not war on savers. It is though war on cash holders
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We have a lot of murders and good food here too...
Risking one's life for good food? Sounds fair to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I saw that earlier too, and wondered if you updated your long list of hazards of Texas.