Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Is ER more about economics or about getting past social norms and personal f
Old 12-17-2005, 09:05 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Is ER more about economics or about getting past social norms and personal f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Just haven't figured out how to live on $12k yet...
I bet Freddie the Freeloader has no probelm living on $12k, I meant $8k, no no I meant $4k, that's not right, must be $25. That's it.

But back to the real world, Lance does it on $13k living in Bangkok.

MJ

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Is ER more about economics or about getting past social norms and personal fears
Old 12-18-2005, 09:25 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: Is ER more about economics or about getting past social norms and personal fears

I had a professor once who had everyone in our graduate class make out a list of their most important goals in life. After we worked on this*task for about 10 minutes, he asked the students to pretend that they have only 5 years left to live. What goals on our list would we accomplish first?* His point was that if there is something we want to do in life, do it now, because* we may not be around to do it otherwise. We have absolutely no way to foresee how much time we have left.

Recently, my wife and I visited her father's grave site at Fort Rosecrans Military Cemetery in San Diego. It was a perfect day, with clear skies, lush green grass and the sun shining brightly on the blue waters of the* Pacific Ocean.* While looking at the mausoleum wall where my father-in-law was, my eyes were drawn to a name that was several columns across.* It turned out to be the man who had been my master teacher twenty years ago when I was a student teacher in his classroom at a school in a rough neighborhood of San Diego. He had died only a month before then, at the young age of 60. I had not seen him for several years, but it made me wonder if perhaps he had spent his final years agonizing in a difficult Southeast San Diego minority school, just so he could max out his pension.

This experience helped reinforce my desire to retire at 55 without a full pension, but knowing that my wife and I will spend our final years living comfortably, but not extravagantly doing what we really want to do with a limited number of years left.

Retire Soon

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:54 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon
I had a professor once who had everyone in our graduate class make out a list of their most important goals in life. After, we worked on this*task for about 10 minutes, he asked the students to pretend that they have only 5 years left to live. What goals on our list would we accomplish first?* His point was that if there is something we want to do in life, do it now, because* we may not be around to do it otherwise. We have absolutely no way to foresee how much time we have left.

Recently, my wife and I visited her father's grave* at Fort Rosecrans Military Cemetery in San Diego. It was a perfect day, with clear skies, lush green grass and the sun shining brightly on the blue waters of the* Pacific Ocean.* While looking at the mausoleum wall where my father-in-law was, my eyes were drawn to a name that was several columns across.* It turned out to be the man who had been my master teacher twenty years ago when I was a student teacher in his classroom at a school in a poor neighborhood of San Diego. He had died only a month before then, at the young age of 60. I had not seen him for several years, but it made me wonder if he had spent his final years agonizing in a difficult Southeast San Diego minority school, just so he could max out his pension.

This experience helped reinforce my desire to retire at 55 without a full pension, but knowing that my wife and I will spend our final years living comfortably, but not extravagantly doing what we really want to do with a limited number of years left.

Retire Soon

This was the number one driving force that caused me to walk away
in 1993. Truly, I do not understand hanging onto a job just to
fatten your pension. Look at it this way. I retired with a tiny net worth.
Fast forward 12 years.............
I wish I had quit even sooner.
I could have too,
with 20/20 hindsight.

JG
Old 12-18-2005, 11:48 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Retire Soon,
Thanks for the post; very appropriate for this board.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just haven't figured out how to live on $12k yet...
Me too..

Ed
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 02:28 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Was talking to a friend this morning and told him I had taken early retirement. He is probably 15 years younger than me with two young children. He said he was hoping his kids would go to a state college then he might be able to retire early. The conversation then turned to the fact that with him and his wife both working they may have to pay the alternative minimum tax (AMT) this year. I asked if he and his wife had maxed out their 401Ks to try to reduce their total taxable income. The reaction was like, why would we do that. He didn't say but my guess is they don't put anything in a 401K.

I thought to myself he will help fund Social Security a long time.

Jeb
Old 12-18-2005, 07:08 PM   #27

Quote:
I thought to myself he will help fund Social Security a long time.
Yup! - I have always said that we are a very, very small minority, and that Social Security will continue to get funded by the working masses. This forum has been around for over 4 years. There are still only 2000 registered members. - That's Worldwide! - The U.S. alone has 300 Million folks.