Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I do. Didn't you write at some point that you are a 14 year old girl posting from the midwest?
If REW were (is?) a 14-yr old girl, what do you imagine him (her?) to look like from his (her?) writings?

I cannot picture an innocent girl like the following, can you?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

If I were really a 14 YO girl, I suspect I would look like a 14 YO Honey Boo Boo.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
If I were really a 14 YO girl, I suspect I would look like a 14 YO Honey Boo Boo.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I don't have the slightest idea what the Wahoo looks like, but I think this approximates the "feel":

http://youtu.be/OCtEB75yPfc

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I do not watch much TV, so had to look up "Honey Boo Boo" on the Web.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I do not watch much TV, so had to look up "Honey Boo Boo" on the Web.

The "South Park" episode making fun of Honey Boo Boo featured a character named Fatty Doo Doo.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I had to find some videos on youtube to see what Honey Boo Boo is about.

"I wish I had extra fingers, then I could grab more cheese balls" -- Honey Boo Boo

Old 07-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

This is what your typical "14 year old girl" poster really looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wow.jpg (17.7 KB, 37 views)
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
There is a strong correlation between net worth and age. The statistic cited by the OP is that 7% of US households have a net worth over 1 million. But I would think that the vast majority of these households consist of older people; very few people under the age of 40-something have a 7-digit net worth. So maybe 20% or so of the 50+ population is worth a million or more. Just a guess.
This is very true. I feel blessed at the age of 41 to have investable assets of 2.5M. It would be interesting to see stats on net worth based on age. Of course the stats here would be skewed compared to national averages considering this is an early retirement forum.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, the longer you work, the less money you will need even though you build up a bigger stash.

I am amused when seeing people running FIRECalc out to 50 years (50!), while I myself think 30 years is already optimistic for myself.
I take the conservative route...I am healthy and while my Mom only made it to 68 (ovarian cancer) my dad is 81 while not living a particular healthy lifestyle and my grandparents lived into their late 90's. So given advances in medicine it might not be unreasonable to consider 50 years of retirement (55-105). Now the question of if I WANT to be 105 is different that if I make it that far...but I wouldn't want to be like the folks that got burned by Madoff..90 yo and out of money

So I run scenarios that have gone as long as 120
Old 07-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
So you're saying we shouldn't believe everything we read on the internet?

How true that is. This is a good forum with a lot of good information but it is an anonymous public forum and anyone can say just about anything they want (That the mod's will allow)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
How true that is. This is a good forum with a lot of good information but it is an anonymous public forum and anyone can say just about anything they want (That the mod's will allow)

Speaking of crazy but true...I know a retired couple in their late 50s who owe more money on their house now than they did when it was purchased in the 80s and have no savings. But they are comfortably retired. How? Well they have over $100k a year in pensions with COLAs. As long as the checks keep coming, they are just fine. I know several people that have retired or are going to retire that way. I wasn't a heck of a lot better myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #73
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Is Everyone a Multi-Millionaire?
Umm?
Attached Images
File Type: gif rotfl.gif (52.3 KB, 432 views)
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #74

Quote:
I had to find some videos on youtube to see what Honey Boo Boo is about.

"I wish I had extra fingers, then I could grab more cheese balls" -- Honey Boo Boo

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the ER crowd here is not the Honey Boo Boo target audience...
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
If it makes you feel any better Senator, I stopped work a few years ago and only have 750K, not counting the value of my future social security. All of that is in investable assets. I don't own a house, but I do have a bicycle that I bought for $100 off Craigslist and a 24 year-old microwave that still works
I kept my first microwave for about 25-30 years. It was HUGE. I kept hoping it would break, but it never did. Finally I just declared it dead and took it to the dump (for interior decorating reasons, and to reclaim counter space, not because it ever quit working). If anybody found it there and took it home, it is probably still working. They just never die. Zombie microwaves from H*ll; might make a good movie.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #76
Gone but not forgotten

Anyway, something to read here... find the chart that fits.

The Average Net Worth For The Above Average Person | Financial Samurai
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #77

Here's a summary of Fed data on income and net worth (second table down), including by age group:

A Look at Household Net Worth and Household Income By Age Group from the 2010 Survey of Consumer Finances

I believe this is the source:
FRB: 2010 SCF
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #78
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I kept my first microwave for about 25-30 years. It was HUGE. I kept hoping it would break, but it never did. Finally I just declared it dead and took it to the dump (for interior decorating reasons, and to reclaim counter space, not because it ever quit working). If anybody found it there and took it home, it is probably still working. They just never die. Zombie microwaves from H*ll; might make a good movie.
I kept SONY CRT TV until few months ago. I am no longer a young guy (as I was when I bought it 20 years ago). The thing was like 100 plus pounds. I needed neighbour body builder to get it out of the house.

I decided to replace it with LCD TV to get rid of cable and use antenna instead.

People here are for most part quite frugal as well..... BTW this story is not made up by 14 year old girl
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #79

Quote:
I kept SONY CRT TV until few months ago. I am no longer a young guy (as I was when I bought it 20 years ago)
I thought I was the only "kook" like this. I had a Magnavox portable non-cable ready, rotary clicky dial, that was my main "home entertainment" piece from 1984 to 2004
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I still have my first microwave, from 1976. A GE Jet something I think (I'm visiting Mom just now). Bought in my last year of college. Now it sits in my bedroom, just in case. The door seal looks OK, but I don't think I've used it in the last 20 years. Would have starved without it in college. Now we use two in the kitchen.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote