Join Early Retirement Today

Is everyone here lucky or something??
Old 10-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is everyone here lucky or something??

Another doom and gloom retirement article

America's middle class knows it faces a grim retirement - LA Times
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #2

Quote:
They echo the findings of last year's installment in the Wells Fargo series, when more than a third of respondents said they expected to work at least until 80 to have enough to retire on.
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
gone traveling

You don't need to retire at 80. Statistically you are dead.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd like to be lucky enough to limit out on squirrels for the day within the next few weeks.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #5

Yes, I think everyone here is Lucky.....and not everyone that cannot retire is unlucky.

It takes Luck and Discipline to be in a position of F.I.

I believe these articles. I see it in my own family. I have in-laws that are retired now, but they don't travel, eat-out, buy new cars...mostly stay at home. They used to do these things, but now they largely live off meager savings and Social Security which they took early as they could not afford to delay to age 70.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
You don't need to retire at 80. Statistically you are dead.
You stole the words right out of my mouth.

But many posters here plan on living until 100. So, some of these 80-year old retirees still have 20 years of kicking in them. No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I'd like to be lucky enough to limit out on squirrels for the day within the next few weeks.
I have not had squirrel, but am willing to bet eating it everyday is a lot easier than eating lobster everyday. We all knew that lobsters used to be fed to prisoners till they cried "Uncle", and it was declared inhumane and that won them a reprieve. Recently, I had a 2-lb lobster twice in 2 weeks, and man oh man, I knew what they were talking about.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
...I have in-laws that are retired now, but they don't travel, eat-out, buy new cars...mostly stay at home. They used to do these things, but now they largely live off meager savings and Social Security which they took early as they could not afford to delay to age 70.
I do not think a retiree staying home watching TV and taking a walk out in the neighborhood is all that bad. It could be a lot worse, as in other countries.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #8

Watching TV is my definition of Hell....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Eh, my TV has not been turned on for so long I forgot. But I am not sure surfin' the Web on my laptop is much better.

In any case, Hell is more populated, and more fun. See crowds in sports bar?

Old 10-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

A wise former boss used to say, "Luck is the distillation of effort".

That's an oversimplification, of course; a prolonged period of unemployment or disability or serious medical issues can derail even the best plans- but, other than that, I'd say the people on this Board made their own luck.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have not had squirrel, but am willing to bet eating it everyday is a lot easier than eating lobster everyday. We all knew that lobsters used to be fed to prisoners till they cried "Uncle", and it was declared inhumane and that won them a reprieve. Recently, I had a 2-lb lobster twice in 2 weeks, and man oh man, I knew what they were talking about.
If DW would not skin me, I could set traps in the backyard and eat squirrel every day if I wished. I think variety is the spice of life, but I do love me some organic, free range limb chicken.

I made squirrel pot pie on Monday and we had to tell DD2 that she could not take some of the leftovers to school for lunch. I believe she would eat squirrel every day if allowed.

I have had lobster pot pie and would not mind repeating the experience. Unfortunately, there are precious few romping around in the woods...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am curious as to the validity of the following statement:

"Those who claim that increasing benefits is unnecessary because America's retirees are secretly rich--a notion recently bandied about by independent benefits consultant..."

We all know this sort of thing happens. The bank of accounts of parents of college-aged children magically dry-up about a year or so before they have to fill out the FAFSA and demonstrate their need. The cash piles up in the safety deposit box and Uncle Sam is none-the-wiser.

Is some form of this happening with retirees trying to squeeze a little bit of public assistance from government? Probably.
StickInTheMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Watching TV is my definition of Hell....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Watching TV is my definition of Dead....
Old 10-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yup, lobsters are overrated. So are caviar, Kobe beef, Dom Perignon, ... I am lucky to have tried them all. That's something, ain't it?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Watching tv is scary. I never used to watch baseball - but lately a 29 yr anomaly demands attention.

Sort of like saving/investing 1966-1996 thru good good times and bad but plugging away in good markets and bad markets sometimes more sometimes less but 'staying the course' even though internally panicking(not acting) now and then.

A 30 year overnight success.

heh heh heh - a really really cheap SOB and proud of it.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Yup, lobsters are overrated. So are caviar, Kobe beef, Dom Perignon, ... I am lucky to have tried them all. That's something, ain't it?
Lobsters are good, until I had the 2-pounders. Caviar I do not like, and Kobe I have not tried. Dom Perignon is indeed overrated. But it could simply be "pearl before swine".

Squirrel next!

PS. I thought I could eat a lot of Dungeness crab, as I usually did not have enough. That was until we bought too many, and I swore off the crab for a year.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Watching tv is scary. I never used to watch baseball - but lately a 29 yr anomaly demands attention.
Exciting time, I worked in KMCO in '85. It was wild. I hope they show the fountain that I claim my 29 years of earnings tax paid for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

About us early retirees possibly being lucky, shouldn't we push it a bit more and have a lottery pool? Imagine that we win a multi-state jackpot. Wouldn't that be something?

I know we are already so rich that a $500M jackpot divided out among members would not be much, but how else do we test the theory?

Old 10-23-2014, 05:58 AM   #19

A common quote, attributed to various people with several variations, is "The harder I work, the luckier I get."
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A common quote, attributed to various people with several variations, is "The harder I work, the luckier I get."
The hardest working people I know are dirt poor with jobs that rarely pay more than $10 an hour, with little chance of ending up on this forum.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote