Is it just me, or are you also seeing...

These are the same people who, a year after the recovery, will point out that they were buying with both hands, including trading options, precisely at the bottom of the market.

True - most people only talk about their wins.

Why in the world would I want to stop my income stream?
While I am not buying at the moment, I certainly won't be selling.
Ziggy, you did such a great job with oil (thank you again), perhaps if you sold all your stock the market would start a slow recovery? ;)

Prove it.

To some people buy and hold may be the 11th commandment,
but not to me.

I sold high last year before I retired, so I am making money
not losing money in this current stock market crisis.

btw... the DOW just now dipped into the 7000s.

~

I am still buying, 401ks, 403bs, and a few individual stocks for fun. I am intrigued by the low pe ratios and high dividends of some individual stocks. Pfizer has a 7.6% dividend, Altria - 7.4%, Bank of America - 6.8%, Worthington Ind - 6.1% and trading at less than book value. Maybe they are all going out of business. I don't know. But if they somehow make it and we don't all go back to living off the land, some of these values will turn out to be good buys.

I don't talk about investing to very many people in my daily life. One or two are in government treasury funds only and always have been. One lost her TSP password years ago and can't check her account or change allocations until she gets a new one. One is not bailing but is not putting any more into the market either, for now. Recently I found out that my brother is staying put and rebalancing, pretty much like me.

A couple of people at work have decided to delay retirement for now. But who knows? Is it the market, like they say? Or is it that they just aren't ready yet? Maybe they would have delayed retirement anyway.

Helena, I won't quote you this time to avoid annoying people who wish to ignore you.

As usual, you made a provocative, one line statement earlier. Buy and hold is dead. As usual it is presented as a definitive truth yet completely unsubstantiated and unsupported by facts. I wanted to know if you really had some valuable insight that would benefit all of us or if you were merely a one trick pony. Your answer tells me that you are the latter (as others already suspected). I asked you to prove why buy and hold is dead, and predictably you can't (with the data available today it's impossible anyways but you cannot even recognize that). You think that reminding us that the market has been down for 12 months is all you need to make your point. That's ridiculous, plain and simple. History supports the buy-and-hold theory over the long term (B&H only makes sense over the long term anyways). Your "theory" is based, at best, on a gut feeling.

The buy and hold philosophy
is an idea whose time as ended

My 82 year chart says otherwise. Here are the numbers for 82 years:

Inflation: 3.1% average return
90 day T-bills: 3.9%
Medium term Treasuries: 4.9%
Long Term Govt Bonds: 5.4%
World Stock Markets: 8.7%
Balanced Portfolios: 9.1%

The numbers are from 1926-2007, so I didn't cherrypick.

Last edited:
Screw it, I'm going down with the ship.

Funny you should mention that, I talked to another advisor today I know. His comment?:

"I feel like I'm a member of the band playing on the deck of the Titanic".......:eek:

To some people buy and hold may be the 11th commandment,
but not to me.

I sold high last year before I retired, so I am making money
not losing money in this current stock market crisis.

btw... the DOW just now dipped into the 7000s.

~

I hope you are going to church every Sunday and thanking God that you are not a year younger and that you had a retirement plan that involved the markets and not a savings account. You are very lucky.

By the way, the Dow is just under 8500.

President Obama please know that I continue to cling to my guns and religion --- and I got me a second name off a tombstone out back in the tool shed --- if you need two votes I'm there for ya man!

I saw the light --- I like the Johnny Cash version - but here's a left handed version of buy and hold is dead:

Wellington fund started right before the big drop in 1929. And of of course pssst Wellesley 1970 in time for the little 73/74 dip.

Now I have the 'new modern version' Target Retirement auto rebalance, auto adjust of asset classes as time marches on.

'God Looks, After Drunkards, Fools and The United States of America.'

Of course sometimes she takes her time.

heh heh heh - sooo I've bought and holding a wiggly one - a lifecycle fund that is moving and grooving while I hold it. :p. Geaux Saint's(next year fer sure) and don't rile me or I'll quote you some SEC yields. :rolleyes: :D.

Talking about SEC yields, mine is getting real close to 4.5% overall!

President Obama please know that I continue to cling to my guns and religion --- and I got me a second name off a tombstone out back in the tool shed --- if you need two votes I'm there for ya man!

I saw the light --- I like the Johnny Cash version - but here's a left handed version of buy and hold is dead:

Wellington fund started right before the big drop in 1929. And of of course pssst Wellesley 1970 in time for the little 73/74 dip.

Now I have the 'new modern version' Target Retirement auto rebalance, auto adjust of asset classes as time marches on.

'God Looks, After Drunkards, Fools and The United States of America.'

Of course sometimes she takes her time.

heh heh heh - sooo I've bought and holding a wiggly one - a lifecycle fund that is moving and grooving while I hold it. :p. Geaux Saint's(next year fer sure) and don't rile me or I'll quote you some SEC yields. :rolleyes: :D.

It took over two years, but I have FINALLY ARRIVED. unclemick used one of my sig lines in his post. Thank you, kind oracle........:D

It took over two years, but I have FINALLY ARRIVED. unclemick used one of my sig lines in his post. Thank you, kind oracle........:D

See - it's not only CFB I quote/mis quote/plagerize - well you know what I mean.

BTW - it's a great line and I never lived in Pensylvannia.

heh heh heh - we need all the humor we can muster - I think this is going to be a rather long rough patch. :cool:

Funny you should mention that, I talked to another advisor today I know. His comment?:

"I feel like I'm a member of the band playing on the deck of the Titanic".......:eek:

Don't worry folks if we don't play your favorite tonight we'll get to it tomorrow. :D:D

most folks are not good at assessing their risk tolerance ... when the market is up, it's easy to be a risk taker, but when the market turns, many then decide they should be more conservative (though a bit too late) . the past record suggests we should expect the market to tank up to 50% occasionally ... it's no secret!

I'm not bailing out - I'm planning to live off my salary while I'm still working (3 years), then cash for 4 years, then proceeds from real estate investments for 3 years, until my equities reach an all time high (hopefully in 10 years or so), and then start tapping them.

I hope you are going to church every Sunday and thanking God that you are not a year younger and that you had a retirement plan that involved the markets and not a savings account. You are very lucky.

By the way, the Dow is just under 8500.

Do you look anything like your avatar? :smitten:

I stole it first... :p

I'm hoping someday to receive my very own curmudgeon certificate, even if it's on a piece of sawed-off toilet paper...

I'm just riding the tiger. Best hang on tight where ever it decides to go.

Back
Top Bottom