Join Early Retirement Today

Is it just me, or are you also seeing...
Old 11-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is it just me, or are you also seeing...

...and hearing more people who had previously been committed to buying and holding, people who were committed to hang on to eventually get their losses back, throwing in the towel and surrendering?

Seems like everywhere I turn, I'm starting to hear a lot more of that. I wasn't hearing that as recently as two weeks ago. But since last Tuesday, the incessant water torture decline seems to be setting many people over the brink. I think many of them sense it will be a terrible long-term decision...but they just can't take it any more.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My FIRE'd parents are not changing anything drastically - hanging in there. We just discussed this last night. All is well - could be better, but they planned well.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Seems like everywhere I turn, I'm starting to hear a lot more of that. I wasn't hearing that as recently as two weeks ago. But since last Tuesday, the incessant water torture decline seems to be setting many people over the brink. I think many of them sense it will be a terrible long-term decision...but they just can't take it any more.
This is what a bear market does - it wipes the table clean of all the old adages.

It is a good sign that all the buy and holders say they are getting out.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
All? Not this one - at least not yet.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hard to stomach that you're planning to live on 4% annually and then see the markets drop that much week after week. Hard to imagine how long they will take to recover.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Shhhh!

You're supposed to say you are bailing while secretly sitting tight .

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
...and hearing more people who had previously been committed to buying and holding, people who were committed to hang on to eventually get their losses back, throwing in the towel and surrendering?

Or maybe they are making the right decision But yes I have notice an increase in what you are talking about.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Not buying and not selling. I think the market has a way to go yet to reach bottom. Since I actually have a higher percentage of my net worth in real estate (home and rental) I'm actually more worried about the housing market. I don't think it's reached the bottom yet either.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Shhhh!

You're supposed to say you are bailing while secretly sitting tight .
Ooops! My bad.

At least I left myself a little wiggle room...
Old 11-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is what a bear market does - it wipes the table clean of all the old adages.

Been thru a few since 1966. Give the current 'unpleasantness' another 5 to 10 years and we'll be down to the true believers plus by then rental RE may be back as an effective competitor/ alternate/ diversifier.

Heaven help us if we turn back the clock to guns, gold and freeze dryed food/collectibles - coins/dated wine/singlemalt scotch/art/etc/ etc.

Never fun - especially if people with pesky spreadsheets start calculating that you are not keeping up with inflation - dividend/interest wise.

Target Retirement 2015 = 3.8% (me).

pssst Wellesley = 5.8%

heh heh heh - Try and calculate where you should be theory wise for your point in the accumulation/distribution cycle and stock/bond/cash mix and ala Bogle - stay the course. Or take Henry Fonda's line in The Longest Day - if you have landed on the wrong beach - move inland!

. And the boys at the doughnut shop say the Saint's play the Chiefs next - could be a long dreary football season for both - BUT wait til next year - yep just you wait - you'll see.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Who and where are these people? Most here seem to be holding tight. I don't know enough other people who are interested in investing to have broader information.

Ha
Old 11-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

Have seen it on several boards.

Buy high, sell low; that always works.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Then we will never have a bottom. Please get out.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Every one will know the end has occurred if I suffer an Intervention by family and friends and go to Treatment for football addiction.

That's when you HELOC the farm and buy stocks hand over fist.

heh heh heh - meanwhile rumor has it the Pat's are a good football team. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #15

Quote:
OK. Tomorrow. I promise.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There was a recent WSJ article with the idea that "capitulation" more often happens when people just kind of give up and walking away out of frustration then some big cataclysmic sell off accompanied by a very high VIX reading.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Hard to stomach that you're planning to live on 4% annually and then see the markets drop that much week after week. Hard to imagine how long they will take to recover.
Funny thing though. Although my assets are down, their yields are up and my expected portfolio income is about the same as it was before.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Yes. Very depressing to see ordinarily smart people lose their heads and sell.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
Although my assets are down, their yields are up and my expected portfolio income is about the same as it was before.
That's the way it's supposed to work and that's how you planned it, right?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That's the way it's supposed to work and that's how you planned it, right?
That's why my retirement feels as secure as ever.