Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
and...

You both had me laughing out loud right in the middle of a critical neurosurgical procedure on a VIP here in Tampa. I gotta stop browsing the forum in the operating room... Why, I had no idea I'd catch just a little flack for that post.
Wow. I knew I checked in at this forum during work and occasionally I've had to cough through surpressed laughter sometimes, but I hadn't thought surgeons did, too. I guess we really do have internet access everywhere these days!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Have you read the "one more year" thread? Iím in the same position but have a much lighter parachute. Wait a minute, this is a philosophical problem: go to the top of the mountain, see the guru, then jump, either the parachute will open or it wonít.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotReady4Purple View Post
Wow. I knew I checked in at this forum during work and occasionally I've had to cough through surpressed laughter sometimes, but I hadn't thought surgeons did, too. I guess we really do have internet access everywhere these days!

Happily for my poor patients, I'm not a surgeon. But I wouldn't dream of surfing during a boring meeting, or lunch, or between projects...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
As my FIRE timer winds down (OK, it's still a little vague but it is still ticking ), one scenario is that things will be economically similar 6-12 months from now to how they are now.

At that point, the nest egg won't be quite as fat as I might have hoped but I would have been buying-in low for a year or more. I'd have plenty of cash on hand because that was the plan right along. No debts, probably a fun but modest part-time gig a couple days a week. I can weather 10-15 years without selling stocks if need be. Health insurance is assured, albeit on my own very heavy nickel. Plan to downsize but that can wait a few years.

I know the pundits say the scenario-from-hell is to retire smack into a recession or long bear market. I understand the arithmetic, but somehow it doesn't seem so bad (unless there's a serious once-in-a-century depression).

Am I missing something?
IMO deja vu
... and you have to make a real decision that is not financially related (since you have that part of it 'set'). ... and I agree with you ... it's not that bad. ... but you have to do what you WANT TO DO.

one of my Dr. friends LOVES what he is doing and wants to die with the stethescope around his neck. ... to each to his own

See you next year Rich
Old 06-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why is it we medical folk have such a hard time retiring but the mega corps can't wait to leave ??
Old 06-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Why is it we medical folk have such a hard time retiring but the mega corps can't wait to leave ??
Cause we like our jobs?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'll tell you my "opinion". I retired from a large multi-national company last year, with almost 30 years of service. The last 10 years were spent "dreaming of ER".

In retirement, I do volunteer work (meals-on-wheels) 2x week, in which I deliver to home-bound, disabled, aged folks.

I can't tell you of the number of people who tell me "thanks" for delivering their meal. Not once (that I could remember) did I get a "thanks" in the normal corporate world. If anybody complained, management would respond with "you get your thanks at the end of the month" (on payday).

I don't get "paid" for my "work" in delivering meals, but the "benefits" (a smile and a "thanks") are well worth my effort.

I would think that medical personnel have more "human interaction". That makes a difference.

- Ron
Old 06-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You both had me laughing out loud right in the middle of a critical neurosurgical procedure on a VIP here in Tampa.
There go the piano lessons.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll bet that the greater danger is to retire on marginal assets with everything going well just before a recession hits.

Kwirk
Soon to be 90% retired
Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
I don't get "paid" for my "work" in delivering meals, but the "benefits" (a smile and a "thanks") are well worth my effort.

I would think that medical personnel have more "human interaction". That makes a difference.
Well said, Ron. It is a huge factor, at least for some of us. My guess that they're thanking you as much for the brief social encounter as for the food.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Because only someone who really, really wants to be a doctor and stay one would go through so many years of schooling and wade through so much bull caca nonsense in order to become one. In contrast, any retard with a BA from Clown College State University can work for megacorp.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:05 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If it doesn't work out, I'm sure Andy can change your handle to Poor_in_Tampa =)

Also, it might be worthwhile to check out late-retirement.org. I hear they help with coming up with reasons to work into your 80's.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Also, it might be worthwhile to check out late-retirement.org. I hear they help with coming up with reasons to work into your 80's.
Now that's funny.

BTW, in my profession and generation, age 60 is considered suitable for premature-retirement.org. I will probably be the first one to ESR that young in recent memory in my institution.

If I retire that young...

Old 06-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Now that's funny.

BTW, in my profession and generation, age 60 is considered suitable for premature-retirement.org. I will probably be the first one to ESR that young in recent memory in my institution.

If I retire that young...
If you wait a year and a half longer than that, then you'll retire older than even me. Now that's old!! At least, I am beginning to feel old. I wish I could retire younger than that, but I'll be 61.5 when that lifetime medical finally falls into place for me.

Besides, don't you already qualify as having ESR'd, given that you're 10% retired now?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
My 2 pfennigs
Old 06-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

My 2 pfennigs

Life is about the pursuit of happiness, not the pursuit of money. Money is just a tool used to help achieve happiness.[/quote]

My personal mantra.

Being a newbie here, I have read many of your threads along with Rewahoo, Finance Dude, Moemg, Milton, and many others, picking up gems of ideas in most cases, some of which I had not even considered before. I feel I am now more prepared to end my working career at the end of this year. I have changed my AA to mirror a lot of the advice I have picked up here, and which I think are reasonable and quite logical being an avid DIY.

IMHO you are so well prepared, I sorta envy you. FWIW, just do it!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Besides, don't you already qualify as having ESR'd, given that you're 10% retired now?
I think so, but no one gives me credit for it except the grandkids, who enjoy my rendition of Buzz Lightyear on those extra days off .

Old 06-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I think so, but no one gives me credit for it except the grandkids, who enjoy my rendition of Buzz Lightyear on those extra days off .
Well - you've been "spaced out" :

NASA to put Buzz Lightyear on International Space Station | Crave, the gadget blog - CNET

- Ron
Old 06-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I can weather 10-15 years without selling stocks if need be. Health insurance is assured, albeit on my own very heavy nickel. Plan to downsize but that can wait a few years.
I know the pundits say the scenario-from-hell is to retire smack into a recession or long bear market. I understand the arithmetic, but somehow it doesn't seem so bad (unless there's a serious once-in-a-century depression).
Am I missing something?
What REWahoo said. The only thing you're missing is the angels with the trumpets and the heavenly choir performing that classic serenade of "It's OK to retire now".

You're saying that the worst is here and you're doing OK. It sounds like confirmation that all of your planning is working. If it's working now, then hypothetically a recession is the best time to ER-- before Congress cuts your TRICARE & Medicare reimbursments again.

We retired in June 2002 and got to watch the stock market tank again in July & Oct... before watching the war start. (Ironically we were on family vacations for all three of those events.) We had a couple intense discussions about asset allocation but we hung in there and life has been really really good since then.

Quote:
So, everyone seems to be saying not to worry. Let me mull that over for a year or two - probably things will change by then, and I can add another layer of protection. You never know...
The heck with that-- this recession is nothin' compared to history. If you want to really take your portfolio for a test drive then plug in 1966-1982 and see how the the final number comes out. I believe that chronic anemia was far worse than even the Depression's hemorrhages...

If you're retiring at the rate of 10% per year then this may be a case of that incredibly rare phenomenon, "Just One More Decade Syndrome"! What other sign are you waiting for?

Quote:
You both had me laughing out loud right in the middle of a critical neurosurgical procedure on a VIP here in Tampa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
There go the piano lessons.
Or maybe they're gonna have to start all over again...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
Yes; regardless of your portfolio, every day you decide not to retire is another day that you loose doing what you want to do (assuming you rather not be at your current j*b).

Life is finite. Sometimes you have to look at your time left as having value, day by day. Every day you "loose a little".

I've used this cartoon more than once. It says it all...

- Ron
Now that is one awesome cartoon!!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My decision to ER was driven by the experience of my Dad. He worked until 65 then experienced Mom die of breast cancer within a month. Then lived on his own for another 30 years. I vowed to "budget" for 25 years retirement after 35 years of being gainfully employed.

It was 2002 and the portfolio had been declining for two years. So far so good...