Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
IMO the central worthwhile goal is FI (financial independence), not retirement. Retirement is just one of the options once you truly reach FI. Continuing to work once FI, full time, part time, volunteering or working sporadically are all worthwhile options as well...
I think that financial independence is the key. I don't "have to" work. But now, I can pursue my passions which are in the world of art, music, and gardening. I do teach fun airy-fairy classes, and get paid for them. But, making money is part of the pleasure. Additionally, we are able to help out at the food bank, etc. These activities keep me engaged and active. I need to have a laugh a day, at least! If I had many millions, I think I would do exactly what I am doing now.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #22

Quote:
It doesn't matter what anyone else calls/labels it, it's your life. You don't win a prize based on how others categorize your status. Enjoy yourself.
+1 IMO, retirement is a state of mind.

Tyro
Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It doesn't matter what anyone else calls/labels it, it's your life. You don't win a prize based on how others categorize your status. Enjoy yourself.
I like this.

My boss has accepted that I am retireing in mid-2013 but, having given up trying to talk me out of it, he is now trying to sell me on the benefits of working part time ... and I have to admit to being tempted as a transitional thing.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoed View Post
What are your thoughts? What will you do? If you work part time will it be to psychologically help you knowing there is still some income flow? Stay active mentally or physically? A combination of many factors?
Honestly I don't know what I'll do when the time comes. Originally I wanted to retire in April 2015, when I turn 45, but pushed that back a bit to April 2016 when the "Great Recession" took its toll. And now, I'm thinking about pushing it back to 2017 even though Firecalc says I have a 98% chance of making it. Partly because I want a little more cushioning, but partly because 2016 is coming up too darned fast!

And now, more and more, I think about cutting back to part time rather than taking the full plunge. However, I discovered that with part time jobs, when I'd start cutting back my hours, it only made me dread going in more and more. Back in college I worked as a waiter, and from 1996-2001 I worked part time after work delivering pizzas. In both cases, as I started cutting back my hours (waiting tables because I was starting to flunk out in college, and pizza delivery because I was needing the extra income less and less), it just started making me hate the job even more, and in the end figuring why bother, and end up quitting.

Only time will tell how I'll feel if I start to phase out the full-time job. I have tried taking off a Monday or Friday here and there, giving myself a 3-day weekend and a 4-day workweek. My only problem there is that the 3-day weekend felt like it went by just as quickly as the regular, while the 4-day workweek went by quicker, so it actually made it feel like time was accelerating! Now, maybe if I went to a permanent 4-day workweek, I'd get used to it, who knows?

I've also tried simply taking off an afternoon here and there, usually a Monday or Tuesday. I'd rarely do it on a Thursday or Friday, because there I'm already psyched up for the weekend, so I figure I'd rather break up the earlier part of the week a bit. That would seem to help, as I'd really get a chance to accomplish some tasks in the afternoon, or just get away someplace for a few hours to relax.

I think I can cut back to 30 hours per week, and still get health insurance and other full-time benefits, although that could be subject to change. Once I'm FI, I might give that a try first, before totally retiring, just to give myself a transition period.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

If you would be doing this "work" for free (just because you enjoy it for example), then the fact that you are also paid for it, no matter part or full-time, still means you are retired. If you would not be doing this "work" for free, then you are not retired IMO... perhaps "semi-retired" if you like, due to working part time.
smjsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I've been working part-time for the last 5 years. I don't consider myself retired. I consider myself semi-retired.
Or call it "semi-employed" or "part-time worker". There should be no reference to "retire". Either you are working or not.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #27

I'll be working about 10 hours per week for a few years as a cushion prior to hitting 59 1/2. Call it what you will but at least I won't be a full-time slave to my j*b!