Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2008, 03:39 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The more I think about it the more I say screw worrying about bragging have your mortgage burning party.

I and I suspect everybody on the board have been to countless house warming parties, which are a celebration of Joe and Susie owning a new piece of property. We get to admire their granite counter tubs, monster bathrooms, and cool entertainment center. In fact, I've even been to house remodel parties.

I don't begrudge anybody these parties, but the truth of the matter is for the vast majority of the parties, the bank is the real owner of these these things. For some of the folks with 100% loan, I as owner of GNMA bonds may have a better claim to owning their property than they do.

For years after I bought my houses (10% down some of which was borrowed from parents) people would ask do you own this house? and I would say well some but the bank owns most!

Somebody in the world has to start modeling sensible financial behavior and who better than board members.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations on your house!It's a good feeling,having paid one off myself.

Personally,I would hold off on the party.I believe that it would create tensions between you and those who aren't in the same or better position.Some people will likely be jealous and that's bad if your friendship means anything.

There's a lot of two faced people in this world.They may pat you on the back and smile at the party,then walk away from you the next day.

I'm happy for you and I mean it!
liveitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:01 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

No one seems to be concerned about the environmental impact of such an irresponsible incineration. Recycle!
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
No one seems to be concerned about the environmental impact of such an irresponsible incineration. Recycle!

Excellent point.

Save a tree. Eat a beaver.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #25

Speaking of mortgages and such, does anyone have a mortgage button?

Quote:
Dating back to the mid-seventeenth century, the "mortgage button" is a long-standing New England tradition, which originated in Nantucket. When a home's mortgage was fully paid, a hole was drilled in the top of the staircase banister or newel. The mortgage was either rolled up and placed inside the hole, or burned and its ashes were placed within. A button, usually made of whalebone, was scrimshawed with the date and owner's initial and placed over the hole to seal its contents.

Four Winds Craft Guild / Mortgage buttons

We had thought about getting one when we paid off our mortgage, but at the time we couldn't find anyplace to buy one.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by volga View Post
Just make sure you have the ceremonial ignition outdoors. It would be sad to burn down a fully paid off home.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #27

Oh come on, have your party, live it up. Smile 'til your face hurts. To paraphase Dr. Suess: Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Tags
mortgage