Join Early Retirement Today

Is it still OK to have a mortgage burning party?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Is it still OK to have a mortgage burning party?

I'm 38, DW is 33. We're on a bit of a buzz since our recreational lake lot was paid off two weeks ago and the mortgage on our home is going to be paid off this week.

Is it OK to revitalize what is an old fashioned custom by throwing a mortgage burning party? Sitting Pretty: Mortgage-Burning Party

We thought that it would be great fun but since these parties aren't really in vogue these days we aren't sure if having a mortgage burning party might be misunderstood and viewed as showing off or cause jealousy in friends who are older than us and who are still sitting on 6 figure mortgages.

We have squirrelled away money for years to do this, it feels great, and we'd like to celebrate reaching our big milestone with friends, but we'd much rather keep it to ourselves if it could mean hard feelings. Any thoughts?
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

CONGRATULATIONS on this terrific accomplishment!!! You have every right to feel like celebrating.

I don't have an answer to your question. I can understand why you are concerned about your friends' feelings. Personally, I just had a celebratory dinner out with Frank and skipped the mortgage burning. On the other hand, you have every right to celebrate and your friends can always turn down the invitation, I suppose.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
I'm 38, DW is 33. We're on a bit of a buzz since our recreational lake lot was paid off two weeks ago and the mortgage on our home is going to be paid off this week.

Is it OK to revitalize what is an old fashioned custom by throwing a mortgage burning party?

Hey, any excuse for a party is a good reason. Paying off a mortgage is a real accomplishment that deserves to be celebrated.

As to jealosy, or ill-feelings, perhaps. Depends how well you know the friends you might invite. Perhaps this celebration might be better a more intimate one with just you and DW. And maybe a few close friends you know well enough to know they won't be jealous, but rather envious in a positive manner.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can understand the sentiment - I'll pay mine off in 13 months.

But I wouldn't do it, not because I'd worry about my friends potential bad feelings or jealousy, rather I'd be afraid it would come across as so much bragging.

edited to add: Congratulations, by the way!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:19 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think it is ok, I had a small party when I did it years ago. But I was a bit worried about bragging.

I think now days it is far more cool to celebrate winning the refi game, by driving the brand to new Lexus to airport for the two month round the world cruise courtesy of your friendly banker.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #6

When we paid off our mortgage, I sure considered a mortgage burning party. We didn't do it though. Kinda' wish I had now. The significance of it passed without much notice or memory. Sad, for it's truly a big event. The trouble though is by the time you pay it off, the monthly payment isn't nearly as significant as when you first got the loan. Still...
Old 01-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

You probably know which friends would be sincerely happy for you. I'd invite that bunch and have a ball. If they ask if they can bring anything, tell them a match!

Congrats to you!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #8

Any excuse for a party is a reason to party.

Someone is born- throw a party
Someone dies- throw a party
Pay off mortgage- throw a party

Consider that people throw parties when a loved one dies, the animosity towards a person paying off their mortgage would be greater (yet everyone is alive and healthy).

Who cares what others think. You can always make new friends.

Of course my wife would probably disagree with my attitude on most of above. If you think friendships would be strained, then those people are not good friends, or you should sit and have a heart to heart with them prior to the party.

congrats!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #9

Maybe you would inspire others to pay off their mortage to.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'd say "no," because some people will interpret it as bragging.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #11

I'm thinking about a refi party.....................
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #12

Only if you do a joint bra burning party....
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
I'm thinking about a refi party.....................

Nowadays maybe the next new thing would be a "The Feds Bailed Me Out" party...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would have the Mortgage Burning Party. (Just make sure you have the ceremonial ignition outdoors. It would be sad to burn down a fully paid off home.)

I would invite everyone. You are to be congratulated on your emancipation from financial serfdom and you are an example to others to get to this milestone.
volga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

See all the moral dilemma's you get to bypass by never having a mortgage in the first place?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Is it OK to revitalize what is an old fashioned custom by throwing a mortgage burning party? Sitting Pretty: Mortgage-Burning Party
It is not OK. Mortgage burning along with flag burning is now a felony.

Ha
Old 01-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #17

I would have it. I reget not having one when we paid off ours. People here reconize how important this event is. It's a milestone & you don't get that many in your lifetime.
dmpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Well, would you throw a 'I reached $X Net Worth' party, or would you feel like you were bragging?

But that is really all you are doing with a 'I paid off the mortgage' party. I'd probably skip it, unless the attendees were also in the process of paying off their mortgage, saw it as a goal, and your accomplishment inspired them.

Else, it seems like bragging to me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Paying off a mortgage is a real accomplishment that deserves to be celebrated.... [But p]erhaps this celebration might be better a more intimate one with just you and DW.
I agree with both of the above points.

While friends might enjoy your success, perhaps they might privately envy (or even resent) you ... why take the chance of hurting their feelings, or harming the relationship?

There's no real need to invite anyone else: you well know the significance of your achievement, and surely you don't need a cast of supporters to drive that point home.

But do celebrate privately!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Unwritten rule of modern life: One can only brag of being profligate.

Tags
mortgage