Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am 60 retired and it is a HUGE issue for me and DW. She has to work because of the potential cost of our combined healthcare. I wish she could quit working but the $3k+ pm we would have to pay till I am 65 is unrealistic. We would earn too much even from passive income to qualify for descent ACA subsidies for the equivalent level of care we get now form DW's job.

Both of us are Canadian too but we do not want to go back to the cold. . We both stop functioning below 75*F.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm 56 and DW is 51. We are US citizens who permanently reside in Mexico. Just renewed our annual health insurance policy at $3,628 for both of us so that is very affordable. Deductibles are quite reasonable and our limited exposure to the health care providers here has been very good so far. The policy also covers us for up to $250k in medical expenses incurred while traveling outside of Mexico. Dental and vision coverage cost extra. We both also just had our semi-annual dental checkup and cleaning for a total of $78. Decent health care at an affordable price is one of the factors we considered when opting to move out of the U.S. and to Mexico.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
One (non-obvious) issue for my Canadian friends who spend part of the year abroad is that they can't spend *too* long abroad or they lose all health coverage for a period of time (including coverage when they return to Canada). For most of Canada the allowed annual time period abroad is 6 months although I know it is 7 months allowed in Ontario...
Yes our snowbird coverage is $1500 extra for a couple spending 212 days that BC allows. And dental, drugs and eye-wear are all additional. For a retiree, US Medicare looks pretty good. Especially using Part B and evacuation insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
I'm 56 and DW is 51. We are US citizens who permanently reside in Mexico. Just renewed our annual health insurance policy at $3,628 for both of us so that is very affordable. Deductibles are quite reasonable and our limited exposure to the health care providers here has been very good so far. The policy also covers us for up to $250k in medical expenses incurred while traveling outside of Mexico. Dental and vision coverage cost extra. We both also just had our semi-annual dental checkup and cleaning for a total of $78. Decent health care at an affordable price is one of the factors we considered when opting to move out of the U.S. and to Mexico.
Yes the local coverage would be great if we qualified.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:49 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

The cost and system of health care in different countries is really an interesting subject.

Within my own family we had a very interesting apples to apples example this past year.

My DH had a long term heart valve issue which was being watched. He ended up needing bypass surgery to have the valve repaired. This was done withing 2 weeks of some new symptoms starting. After surgery and while on the constant monitoring in the CCU, they found some potential issue with his heart rhythm, has has always been very fit except for the valve problem. He went NPO and early the next morning a cardio rhythm doc came to see him. After taking a family history in which several Uncles, his Dad and one of his Aunts all died from sudden heart attacks ( this was about 25 years ago a presumed to be the result of blocked arteries) the doc said this could be a genetic rhythm issue I think we'll just put in a pacer/defib for safety and your peace of mind. You might never need it, because right now it's not that big of a problem, but better to be on the safe side. Within an hour he was getting his new device.

I have a first cousin in England 54 and dealing with a few issues with her heart. She had a pacer in 3-4 years. Suddenly had such bad angina she went to the ER thinking it was a heart attack. They told her she needed her pacer replaced and put in hospital to watch her. She mentioned to the docs her regular doctor had been telling her for over a year that her pacer battery was getting to the end of its charge. They sent her home with meds for pain, told her not to go to work and they would call her with a replacement date. They called her back in 12 DAYS and schedule her surgery 15 DAYS after that. She told them she was having bad angina attacks 3 or 4 times a week. They gave her a different med on the phone. Then they told her, oh well maybe you do have blockage and we'll just do the artery test when you get your pacer in case you need a stent. My poor cousin spent the next 2 weeks in pain and extremely worried that something major might go wrong while she was sitting at home waiting.

Our health care system is far from perfect, but from my own experience it seems to be a case of people thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. My cousin has worked her entire adult life and paid a pretty penny into the British health care system.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote