Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

is mortage disability insurance a rip off?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

is mortage disability insurance a rip off?

i'm looking into life and disability insurance for my wife and myself. i was talking to an agent and he did mention mortgage disability insurance but it sounds like a rip off. what you think?
dooo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree with you. I wouldn't do business with an agent that suggested it, even.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a family member that bought into this disability insurance. He was under the belief that the house mortgage would be paid off if he died. He had a mortgage and a home equity loan. Neither was covered when he died of cancer, this was considered natural causes. In all, he had 2.5 million of disability insurance from various places, insurance policies, credit cards, etc.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yes. Pretty much ANY kind of "disability" which only pays off a particular debt in case of disability is likely to be an extreme ripoff.

General disability coverage is a necessity for most working folks, but that should be a generic disability policy that replaces lost income if you are unable to work, not merely an overpriced product that pays off one loan (or worse, only pays it down while you are disabled).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with you. Rip off. You had me when you said the agent talked.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I would never purchase disability insurance because my expenses are so small it's very easy to self insure. A coworker of mine, however, is very glad he has disability insurance since he has no savings and needs foot surgery. He'll be out of work for 2-3 months and will have all of his monthly expenses paid for in full.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
I had a family member that bought into this disability insurance. He was under the belief that the house mortgage would be paid off if he died. He had a mortgage and a home equity loan. Neither was covered when he died of cancer, this was considered natural causes. In all, he had 2.5 million of disability insurance from various places, insurance policies, credit cards, etc.
Sounds like he had accidental death coverage, not life insurance. There's a reason that AD&D costs about $5/month for $1 million of coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooo42 View Post
i'm looking into life and disability insurance for my wife and myself. i was talking to an agent and he did mention mortgage disability insurance but it sounds like a rip off. what you think?
Disability insurance has a lot of moving parts. Make sure you understand them when buying. The longer the definition of disability, the worse off you will be. More words usually just means more exclusions. Use the help of an independent agent that offers coverage from 10+ companies (there are much less reputable disability than life companies though). Guardian has the best true disability policy around IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I would never purchase disability insurance because my expenses are so small it's very easy to self insure. A coworker of mine, however, is very glad he has disability insurance since he has no savings and needs foot surgery. He'll be out of work for 2-3 months and will have all of his monthly expenses paid for in full.
Unless your disability insurance is through your employer, there is usually a 90-day waiting period for benefits to kick in. You can get a waiting period shorter than that, but the cost is much, much higher.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

And to reiterate, disability insurance (a worthy purchase, indeed) has nothing to do with the scammy mortgage disability insurance question of the OP.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote