Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqJolie View Post
When I imported my motorhome from the states, I employed my reading upside-down abilities and saw a list at the customs office of their gun confiscations. One person had over a dozen firearms that got taken away. I wonder if they hold them or just outright confiscate them.
No one hunts in Canada.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Carrying Firearms and Weapons into Canada

Canadians do hunt, and lots of Americans come here to hunt too. No, you won't get your guns back if they are confiscated. To avoid confiscation, you have to apply for an authorization to transport them first.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:26 AM   #43
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Looks more complicated than I thought. Canada is such a huge country with relatively little people you would think they would be more "open" to people moving there.
Health care in Canada is extremely expensive and paid for via heavy taxes...it is no different than here in the states. We pay if we want and need it but in Canada we pay regardless if we want or need it. Therefore it is annoying to think that someone might want to retire there just to use the healthcare system. If you have contributed, well then, have at it but if you have not and expect to just come and grow old there while enjoying the prepaid system I doubt you will be successful.

FYI....Vancouver is one of Canada's most expensive cities.
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Vancouver is one of Canada's most expensive cities.
People from Texas as especially shocked at the costs in Vancouver.

But if you don't smoke, drink or eat out, it is manageable.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
Health care in Canada is extremely expensive and paid for via heavy taxes...it is no different than here in the states. We pay if we want and need it but in Canada we pay regardless if we want or need it. Therefore it is annoying to think that someone might want to retire there just to use the healthcare system. If you have contributed, well then, have at it but if you have not and expect to just come and grow old there while enjoying the prepaid system I doubt you will be successful.

FYI....Vancouver is one of Canada's most expensive cities.
I don't know about the heavy taxes Allison. I lived in Texas for a few years and I didn't really notice a huge difference in the tax rates. Could have been the mid-income bracket I was in at the time because I definitely pay more now than many make in a year once I go over $100k/year.

Agree with you about the retiring to Canada for the health care if you haven't paid into the system. Although I read something recently that said that Canada's health care costs per person were 1/2 of that spent in the US. I think the numbers were around $5k/year in Canada vs. $8k/year in the US. So someone could just pay as they go and come out ok I think as long as they didn't have a major illness.

Vancouver IS expensive, Victoria is prettier and less expensive. I did a groceries comparison on a blog post recently between Alberta and Montana and our costs in Canada are somewhere around 30% higher.

I'd consider it if I was an American and the US dollar was a lot stronger.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqJolie View Post
as long as they didn't have a major illness.

And that's what all this hospitalization INSURANCE debate is all about.........

Is INSURANCE going to be for handling major illnesses or for providing free routine care, especially for the lower middle class and down, or both?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
And that's what all this hospitalization INSURANCE debate is all about.........

Is INSURANCE going to be for handling major illnesses or for providing free routine care, especially for the lower middle class and down, or both?
how bout making it a high deductable policy? the feds have 1 that costs the employee or retiree $70 - $80 per month for a single person (and the insurance co puts about $70/mo into a HSA for the employee/retiree). now granted that is subsidized by the feds (they pick up 3/4th of the real premium) but even with out the subsidy, is that alot to pay for a HDHP? maybe the health care reform bill should focus on this approach.
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote