Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2010, 06:16 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqJolie View Post
I've never seen an illegal from Mexico in Canada and I've lived here for 40 years. If there were any illegals, they'd be from either China or east India. Come to think of it, I've only met 2 Mexican people here in Canada period.
In reading these rules for immigration it seems like you have to have some sort of valuable skillset not available in Canada to move there. Having spent some time vacationing in Canada (mostly Toronto) it seems like a big metling point of various nationalities. Are you telling me all these people are in IT, Engineering or some field in great demand? Seems like there must be some loopholes or other methods of moving and gaining citzenship.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
In reading these rules for immigration it seems like you have to have some sort of valuable skillset not available in Canada to move there. Having spent some time vacationing in Canada (mostly Toronto) it seems like a big metling point of various nationalities. Are you telling me all these people are in IT, Engineering or some field in great demand? Seems like there must be some loopholes or other methods of moving and gaining citzenship.
Toronto would be a big melting pot, so are most of the major cities in comparison to the US cities I've been to, definitely not the smaller areas. I have quite a few friends whose parents immigrated here 30 years ago. It seems that how they did it was that one person established residency (not necessarily citizenship) and then sponsored other family members. According to this, the skilled worker #'s are less than 20% of the economic immigrants:

Immigration to Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I started working 25 years ago at a large engineering company, most of the engineers were from overseas.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In reading these rules for immigration it seems like you have to have some sort of valuable skillset not available in Canada to move there.
Which makes sense. If I were a skilled, well-qualified unemployed Canadian I'd be pretty miffed if my government allowed more people with my skill set to enter the country to add more competition for the jobs I'm looking for. Meet the needs of your citizens first, and then if there are still more jobs than qualified applicants, *then* allow some folks in to fill those jobs.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've never seen an illegal from Mexico in Canada and I've lived here for 40 years. If there were any illegals, they'd be from either China or east India. Come to think of it, I've only met 2 Mexican people here in Canada period.

In northeast Minnesota I have never met a Mexican, central or south American immigrant, legal or illegal. Our resorts have seasonal temporary workers from other countries, but they usually are northern European, like Estonia. I do understand that there are a number of Mexican seasonal farm workers in western Minnesota. I know Canada has seasonal farm worker population too, including many legal temporary workers from Mexico.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

They are all down here where it's warm.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
They are all down here where it's warm.
Warmth.... I remember warmth...

Of course, in the summer we'll have a lot more of it than I want...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Warmth.... I remember warmth...
Hang in there - Spring starts next week:

Old 02-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
In northeast Minnesota I have never met a Mexican, central or south American immigrant, legal or illegal. Our resorts have seasonal temporary workers from other countries, but they usually are northern European, like Estonia. I do understand that there are a number of Mexican seasonal farm workers in western Minnesota. I know Canada has seasonal farm worker population too, including many legal temporary workers from Mexico.
Our resort workers are almost all from Australia or New Zealand (in Banff and the Rockies). In the farming country where I come from in Alberta, there aren't any seasonal workers that aren't local. It's probably the type of farming since there'd be more cash crops out in Minnesota whereas we're more grain farming and the last thing you'd want would be to have someone inexperienced driving your $250k tractor.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
Old 02-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Exactly. They don't want people moving there just to milk the system. They want people that can contribute, not just leech.

Quote:
I would be retired so I wouldn't be taking anybody's job. I would however be spending all of my money there so that would help the economy. Perhaps not enough to pay for my health care though?
Woz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

They may not be in IT or Engineering, but most of them will hold an advanced degree. The only reason they are working a menial job is they can't speak adequate English. There are also many that immigrant based on a relative.

Quote:
Woz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
You can replace Mexico with China or India if you want. I was trying to find out how Canada handles health care for illegal immigrants who cannot afford to pay.

But from what you say its seems that:

1.) Canada is very good at keeping illegals out.

2.) No illegal wants to move to Canada.

3.) You have more illegals than you think, they just hide good.

4.) A combination of the above.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
You can replace Mexico with China or India if you want. I was trying to find out how Canada handles health care for illegal immigrants who cannot afford to pay.
It would be quite easy to cheat the system here. You get a health care card which has no picture and I've never been asked for any form of picture ID at a doctor's office. Apparently there's more cards issued in Ontario than there is people, and I've heard that some Americans that live near the border also obtain Canadian health care fraudulently.

But if you were not defrauding the system, someone who's an illegal immigrant would just have to pay for the services out of pocket.

From the wikipedia article I linked previously, here's the stats on illegal immigrants:
There is no credible information available on illegal immigration in Canada. Estimates range between 35,000 and 120,000 illegal immigrants in Canada.

The US supposedly has about 11,000,000 illegals, (3-4%) vs Canada's high estimate (< 0.5%). Yeah, I guess they don't want to come here.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know a few legal immigrants of Mexican origin and there are quite a few legal seasonal workers from Mexico. They come here in the summer to harvest crops, and go home for the winter . I have never knowingly met a Mexican who was here illegally.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It would be quite easy to cheat the system here. You get a health care card which has no picture and I've never been asked for any form of picture ID at a doctor's office. Apparently there's more cards issued in Ontario than there is people, and I've heard that some Americans that live near the border also obtain Canadian health care fraudulently.
It isn't that easy.
1) You can't get an Alberta Heath Care card without a SIN number. As a guestworker
(i.e., not holding Permanent Resident status or better), mine starts with the digit "9".
2) You can't get a SIN number without a work permit or other official permission to stay in Canada (your al-qaeda or Sikh mafia membership card or application for immigration as a refugee from anywhere except the US).
Old 02-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #35

Great place to live-as long as you are legal and don't mind colder weather.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #36

Can I bring all of my guns?
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #37

Nope. Can't bring any of them. Can bring your money though.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Why not try? The Canadian govt seems unable to stop illegal (i.e., all) firearms from entering the country. (Believe it or not, they blame this on the US! By the way, they also accuse the US of failing to protect the world against killer asteroids. ) The worst that can happen is that they will forever bar you from entering. Oh, yeah--they will take your toys away from you, too.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:19 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If you would like to teach in Iqaluit, nurse in Nunavut, or invest in Nunavik, you would be welcome to fill up the empty space!
Or try dancing as a striper in Toronto. A lot of the Eastern European dancers got to Canada under the skilled immigrant section. For a good secondary source, see the April, 2006 Economist. For primary sources, well, you just have to get a bunch of bills and head up to Toronto.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
When I imported my motorhome from the states, I employed my reading upside-down abilities and saw a list at the customs office of their gun confiscations. One person had over a dozen firearms that got taken away. I wonder if they hold them or just outright confiscate them.