Join Early Retirement Today

Is my plan too simplistic?
Old 08-17-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Is my plan too simplistic?

: I am 49, married, have 2 in-college sons and have no debts save for PLUS loans for my sons (24K). My current net worth is 1.3 M and I would like to retire in 5 years. I am the only employee of my S-Corp business. My wife is a public school employee. I have estimated our annual retirement costs of 40K.

I have laddered CDs of 280K for the first seven years of retirement. These are also used for our emergency fund.

We have 400K in IRAs (trad, Roth, and SIMPLE) that I plan to gradually convert to All-Roth and invest in Vanguard Target Retirement 2015.

We have another 100K in IRAs that I plan to gradually convert to All-Roths and invest in Vanguard Target Retirement 2025, with plans to invest at least 400K eventually here also.

Other funds will eventually be placed in a Target 2035 fund. Etc, etc.

I am keeping my income low so I can top off my tax bracket with annual traditional to Roth IRA conversions. This also helps us our sons receive college scholarship monies.

Our retirement income stream will also be supplemented (a little) by my wife's state retirement income, as well as her 3 tax-deferred annuities. Oh, yeah, and possibly SS payments.

Is this plan just way too simple?

Reg2

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Is my plan too simplistic?
Old 08-17-2004, 05:46 PM   #2

I always enjoy reading stuff like this, especially
when the poster is wondering if they can retire, and when. I realize that I am quite unique, but I retired with
virtually nothing but motivation and creativity. I will never have a million dollar net worth. I will never have a
half million dollar net worth, so please excuse me if I
am amused when someone says, "We have a net worth
of 1 million, no debt, no kids at home, a paid off house
worth $250,000 and we both get a COLAed pension
at 55. Can we retire?" What a hoot!

John Galt
Old 08-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

John,
You make an excellent point....once again.

Basically, half the state of California could retire (our way) based on their recent home values. So what's stopping them? FEAR

Not to mention losing friends, keeping up with the showoffskis, etc.

Billy
Website www.geocities.com/ba264
Old 08-17-2004, 06:10 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Reg2,

Don't be discouraged by John's message. *It was just a response from what the site has come to know as the Galternate Universe. *

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:47 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nope

Simple is good. Sounds to me (reading between the lines) - you want the kids to make it thru college ok before you pull the plug.

Before Target there was Lifestrategy - Vanguard's early try at a life cycle type fund.

Vanguard Lifestrategy cons and mod is 75% of our ER. 10% Vanguard REIT and 15% hobby stocks.

We retired (no kids) with 300-350k in financial assets in 1993. Long story but the stuff you need is here - start perusing this forum.

The mental aspects are just as real as the financial. I got lucky - they canned/layed off my butt at 49 while I was busy planning to retire at 63.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:13 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I think John Galt's point is right on. Certainly not a discouragement. The question is, Reg, why are you STILL working? Your approach does sound very reasonable though.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:43 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Region2,

Simple is good. I love the 2025 fund .... have 1/3 of
my stash in it.

Cheers,

Charlie
Old 08-18-2004, 09:21 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Simple is better...(best?).

Many folks have 20-30 different funds and think that they are well diversified because of this. *They eventually will come to their senses and realize that more funds is not necessarially a better position to be in and gravitate to a more simple approach.

You have a pretty good plan, especially the VG TR 2035, why mess it up?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote