Join Early Retirement Today

Is the market *really* DOWN?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is the market *really* DOWN?

OK, before I'm accused of sampling the home-brew (or Kool-Aid) before lunch, of course the market is down - but....

The big drop came from the bursting of the housing and credit bubble (over-simplified, but hopefully close enough). But "drop" is relative to where we were. And, isn't "where we were" inflated by the housing and credit bubble (before they crashed)?

IOW, if lending money had been kept tighter, houses would not have risen so fast, and in general, the stock market would not have risen so fast. So, if that turn of events had not played out as it had, would we be looking at S&P500 @ ~ 900 anyhow? Which is UP from 800 in 2002.

But with the bubble, we went from 800, to 1500, and "dropped" to 900.

So, the market is UP, right?

Feel better now?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Feel better now?

-ERD50

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
OK, before I'm accused of sampling the home-brew (or Kool-Aid) before lunch, of course the market is down - but....

The big drop came from the bursting of the housing and credit bubble (over-simplified, but hopefully close enough). But "drop" is relative to where we were. And, isn't "where we were" inflated by the housing and credit bubble (before they crashed)?

IOW, if lending money had been kept tighter, houses would not have risen so fast, and in general, the stock market would not have risen so fast. So, if that turn of events had not played out as it had, would we be looking at S&P500 @ ~ 900 anyhow? Which is UP from 800 in 2002.

Feel better now?

-ERD50
Yeahhhhhh,but...

That would be all well and good if I hadn't bought anything above the 900 level. Unfortunately, not so.

Nice try though!
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Feel better now?

-ERD50
Is that single malt Scotch you've been drinking all morning?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

"Down is up"? Is this the financial equivalent of Orwellian Doublespeak?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
He needs more seminars with the spinmeisters in Washington DC........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

if you own DXD, SDS and QID then down is the new up
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Is that single malt Scotch you've been drinking all morning?
Well, it is no longer morning here in the Central Time zone, so I could start.....

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, it is no longer morning here in the Central Time zone, so I could start.....
And it's well after 5 PM in England. Cheers.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 10-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That depends on the definition of "is".

Personally, I sort of agree. I've been saying for years that the market was severely overvalued, and that we were facing either years of very low returns, or something like what's been happening this year. IMHO we're about where we should be. I'd rather (since I have available cash) be facing low prices with normal growth opportunities than having retired into years of very low or negative growth. So lets get to investing! yee-haw!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

And it's really not down 4.4 percent for the day right now because a loss of $400 is only 2.85 percent of the Dow's highest ever....
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Feel better now?

-ERD50
Dude, this is why you should NOT do crack before lunch.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The good news is, each day the market falls 5% we lose less portfolio value than each previous time it fell 5%...
Old 10-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Today it is REALLY down. As in "down a lot."
Old 10-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Today it is REALLY down. As in "down a lot."
This is headline news much as "Sun rises in the east" would be so.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Some media stories cite weak earnings and slumping oil prices as fueling recession fears. A year ago, the rising price of oil was blamed, in part, for hurting the corporate bottom line. Now that dinosaur juice is dropping in price, it is again faulted. Are both correct?
Hershey102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
He needs more seminars with the spinmeisters in Washington DC........
I've been living in DC since 1982 and his post made perfectly good sense to me.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

5.05% yield on Yahoo finance - foooor Pssst Wellesley.

Ahem, ahem - pouring steady drizzly rain North of KC - just reminds me of the Norwegian widow in the old PacNW in her rain slicker by the mailbox waiting for the mailman to bring those dividend checks.

Yeah yeah yeah - I know even stay the course and hurry up just stand there gets old.

I need to quit looking - maybe send to Netflix for Singing in The Rain or something.

heh heh heh - so whadda think? Pats win ugly - they really do have a good football team or what? This patience stuff can get old.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
This patience stuff can get old.
What Uncle Mick said . . .

-- Rita
Old 10-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And, isn't "where we were" inflated by the housing and credit bubble (before they crashed)?
Feel better now?
-ERD50
you just can't argue with data.
I do feel better. TY!