Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2015, 06:49 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Please do explain this. I am taxed by my local government, and most of it (at least from my property tax) goes to the school district. Their largest expense is salaries (teachers and others). Those teachers, admins, etc, get their paycheck from the school district.

How are they not government workers?

-ERD50
I always thought of teachers as government workers as well. After all, that's where something like 55% of my Maryland property tax bill goes to. But, I wonder if the teachers themselves are considered contractors, rather than direct employees of the government?
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I always thought of teachers as government workers as well. After all, that's where something like 55% of my Maryland property tax bill goes to. But, I wonder if the teachers themselves are considered contractors, rather than direct employees of the government?

Teachers in my state (no union) without question consider themselves working for the government. But I imagine the Catholic school teachers here do share that line of thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a public school teacher in CA--and as a community college instructor-- I sat in meetings every year where administrators would admonish us to remember that we were there to serve the taxpayers. As public servants we were to do the best we could to develop the skills of the next generation.

As a teacher in Catholic school here, I was encouraged to reflect the mission and vision of the school. Many features of that mission paralleled the values of public school colleagues with whom I had worked. But here we did not view ourselves as government employees; instead, the principal would remind us that the parents contracted with the school for us to act "in loco parentis." That is, we were there to follow through in helping to mold the students in the same way where their parents would, if they were there.

Certainly not the function of a government worker.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
As a public school teacher in CA--and as a community college instructor-- I sat in meetings every year where administrators would admonish us to remember that we were there to serve the taxpayers. As public servants we were to do the best we could to develop the skills of the next generation.

As a teacher in Catholic school here, I was encouraged to reflect the mission and vision of the school. Many features of that mission paralleled the values of public school colleagues with whom I had worked. But here we did not view ourselves as government employees; instead, the principal would remind us that the parents contracted with the school for us to act "in loco parentis." That is, we were there to follow through in helping to mold the students in the same way where their parents would, if they were there.

Certainly not the function of a government worker.

"In loco parentis" is a basic tenant of all public education teachers. I really don't think most teachers see themselves as "government workers" but simply as an educator. As you know schools are funded by a blend of local, state, and national monies so its a bit messier when saying "government worker" to describe a teacher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Plenty of loco parents...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"So is all the doom and gloom about a nation of retirees about to implode media inspired hysteria?"

Hard to say. I see posts on here where people are asking if they can make it on only 2.5 / 3 million. My reaction is they need to get a grip on spending if they can't make it on that amount.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:14 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
"So is all the doom and gloom about a nation of retirees about to implode media inspired hysteria?"

Hard to say. I see posts on here where people are asking if they can make it on only 2.5 / 3 million. My reaction is they need to get a grip on spending if they can't make it on that amount.

Hmmmm...well too much generalizing. A 4% withdrawal rate on $2.5 million is only $100,000. For a retired couple under 65....health insurance and deductibles will take a big chunk of this. Also taxes depending where the money is taken from. Then all the fixed usual expenses.
For my wife and I , we spent years saving and now is the time to enjoy that money, especially before old(er) age makes travel less enjoyable. Now is the time we will take those 3 week cruises, eat out whenever we want, travel here , there, and everywhere. In fact I think , at least for us, 2.5 - 3 million would not be nearly enough. $4 - 4.5 million is more like it.

My reaction is that many people need to get a grip on saving if they feel they will fall short in retirement savings
MrLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLoco View Post
Hmmmm...well too much generalizing. A 4% withdrawal rate on $2.5 million is only $100,000. For a retired couple under 65....health insurance and deductibles will take a big chunk of this. Also taxes depending where the money is taken from. Then all the fixed usual expenses.
For my wife and I , we spent years saving and now is the time to enjoy that money, especially before old(er) age makes travel less enjoyable. Now is the time we will take those 3 week cruises, eat out whenever we want, travel here , there, and everywhere. In fact I think , at least for us, 2.5 - 3 million would not be nearly enough. $4 - 4.5 million is more like it.

My reaction is that many people need to get a grip on saving if they feel they will fall short in retirement savings
If I'd never spent one cent of my life's earnings, I still wouldn't have near that much...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If I'd never spent one cent of my life's earnings, I still wouldn't have near that much...
If I saved all of the money I earned during the last 30 years of my career, and invested it to just keep up with inflation, it doesn't even add up to 2.5 million ( and my salary puts me in the top 10%).
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote